Upload a photo Upload a video Upload an mp3 Upload an event

News


Serious Weekend Fire Wakes Street's Residents

Friday May 2 2014




RESIDENTS were woken early on a Saturday morning to move their cars after a fire broke out at a terraced house where a man suffered minor burns.

Crews from Barnsley and Cudworth stations spent more than two hours battling the fire in the front bedroom of the house on Princess Street, Cudworth, after receiving the call just after 4.30am on April 19.

A fire and rescue spokeswoman said it is not yet clear how the blaze started but it is being treated as accidental.

She said: "There was a man in his 60s in the property and he was just leaving the house as the fire crews got there. The crews left at about 7am."

Resident and WAB Radio DJ Graham Stevens was woken up by the smell of burning.

He said: "I thought it was our house at first and then I could hear the motors running. When I looked outside there were several fire engines on the street.

"The top window of the house looked to have been taken out to get to the fire. It looked pretty bad.

"All the road was cordoned off and the street was cleared of all cars and residents had to be woken up to get them to move them."

Leave a comment
comments powered by Disqus