News » WAB Debate

Tough New Measures For Long-Term Unemployed

Tuesday April 29 2014

THE long-term unemployed are now required to show they are actively looking for work - or risk losing their benefits. Are you in favour of this? Have your say.

As part of a new drive to get those who have been without a job for more than six months get back to work, claimants may be told to report for community or charity work.

If they refuse to co-operate, they now run the risk of losing all or a proportion of their benefits.

The 'Help to Work' scheme, which came in on Monday, could force claimants to go to daily appointments at job centres to discuss what they have done to gain employment.

Until now, meetings of this type have happened no more frequently than once every two weeks. Dole claimants who lack work experience could be put on 'community work placements' to boost their CVs.

Do you think this is a good idea? Will it get more people into work? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by ray on Tuesday April 29 2014 at 11:22
Kneejerk government bird brained idea again.

Great in principal when mp's hrrumphing and huzzahing in parliament to their chums, but in practice maybe a few things should have been thought of.

Who's going to provide the extra staff and pay the extra staff to be able to attend all these new appointments and decide whether someone is looking for work or not?

Who's going to pay for transport for all the claimants to come in, because that will be an issue.

Not doubt ill thought out like the kids that should be staying on in education till 18, which is unworkable because there is no one to monitor this.

Reply Posted by Leanne on Tuesday April 29 2014 at 11:35
I have a full-time job and still do charity/community work so no reseason the unemployed who are physically/mentally able to do so should refuse.

Reply Posted by DeePea on Tuesday April 29 2014 at 16:40
There is a huge gap between volunteering to help in a capacity when it suits your agenda and schedule, and being forced to participate in something. It is a form of slavery when you are told by the Government where, when and for how long you should work for no gain other than not having your benefits sanctioned.

People are given say 100 hours community service for criminal acts in the courts. The new system proposes 6 month 'sentences" of 30 hours a week equating to 780 hours of work.

This jobs will be undertaken by unwilling participants, unqualified to do so, often unsupervised and with little enthusiasm. Even the Salvation Army, amongst many other large corporations, are unwilling to participate in the Governments work fayre sanction schemes. The Charities want people there who want to be there, willing and able to contribute. You cannot legislate human nature away which this Coalition government seems to want happen.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Tuesday April 29 2014 at 19:40
It IS slave labour!

Don't think this is a "new" scheme, a similar one has been running for the last few years and there are 400,000 working a "workplaces" on the "workfare" scheme for FREE!

Don't get me wrong, but, if the person on the workfare scheme actually got a qualification at the end of their placement, say an NVQ then it would be more palatable.
Those people on the "help to work" scheme cant even claim there bus fares back, so effectually this B*stard coalition are breaking human rights legislation!

£20 a week out of £70 odd leaves the "workfarer" £50 odd quid a week to live on, again breaking human rights legislation!

Liverpool City Council have REFUSED to adopt the "help to work" scheme, what do you think BMBC will do?

Dozens of companies have also REFUSED to accept people on the "help to work" scheme as there was such a public backlash against the companies that "employed" workfarers and they don't want any more bad press.

Reply Posted by Captain Sensible on Tuesday April 29 2014 at 17:06
FPMSL There will be certain areas in England where the lazy drains on society are visibly shaking in their smelly little hovels with fear, good!
There is plenty of work available to people who actually want it, the problem is the benefits system allows them the luxury of an easier lifestyle so they choose to stay home at my expense and whine because they cannot find a job eating chocolate and drinking cider!

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Tuesday April 29 2014 at 19:43
HAHAHAHAHAHHA I have never heard anything as funny in my life!

Of course there are PLENTY of jobs out there, that's why we have one of the highest youth unemployment rates for a town our size in WESTERN EUROPE!

You go back to reading your daily mail bell end.

Reply Posted by Captain Sensible on Tuesday April 29 2014 at 19:57
I smile when I read your ill informed small minded insults, a typical reason why the town is full of sponging whining people looking for someone to blame for their idol meaningless lives, the next time I see my taxes I will smile again knowing I have bought you another round, again.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Tuesday April 29 2014 at 20:08
Worked since I was 15, 27 years in full employment and have only been unemployed for TWO WEEKS in the last 27 YEARS!

erm idol?
See my taxes?

I think perhaps you should have learnt more at school.

Reply Posted by Captain Sensible on Tuesday April 29 2014 at 22:11
Sad foolish bully, not everyone is intimidated by words typed in upper case.

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Wednesday April 30 2014 at 08:46
The town is not full of 'sponging whining people', born here and come from one of the 'bad' places but worked part time 16-19 (college) and full time 19-28. Wind your neck in and stop generalising!

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Wednesday April 30 2014 at 08:47
That should read 19-48!

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday April 29 2014 at 17:53
Captain sensible, you reckon there's plenty of work out there eh? Well let me tell you, I've been out of work for over two years and have applied for at least 3 jobs per week in that time. So far I have had ONE interview! I have qualifications coming out of every orifice and am willing to work. I've even took it upon myself to pay to gain more qualifications. Most people on benefits get these paid for. So you tell me, how is this scheme going to benefit me then?

Reply Posted by Captain Sensible on Tuesday April 29 2014 at 18:01
Anon, If you have lots of qualifications you are probably not sending your cv to the likes of ASOS or Aldi etc, you are looking for something better, thing is its always easier to get a job if you have a job. If your handouts ended I reckon you would lower your sights pretty quick, not everyone has the perfect job but, some of us have pride.

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Wednesday April 30 2014 at 08:49
'Sensible' you aint!

Who says they are hand outs in this example, 'anon' may well have worked for years and as such has paid his 'dues'.....

Reply Posted by Aldi Employee on Wednesday April 30 2014 at 20:31
Don't use Aldi Captain Sensless if you don't know the facts. Aldi is the highest paid retail workers in the supermarket chain. We have lunch tea breack sand holidays.The managers manage workers and the workers manage customers needs.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday April 30 2014 at 21:47
Gotta agree with you aldi employee, went to the Sheffield (handsworth) branch of Aldi (first time for me in an Aldi too) and they were advertising for a store manager @ £33k p.a, MUCH better pay than T'asda!

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday April 30 2014 at 22:18
Flipping hell, that's some wage! Where do I sign?

Reply Posted by King Louis on Sunday May 4 2014 at 18:09
ASOS has the largest turnover of staff in Europe. It must be a great place to work.

I do think the unemployed should be forced to work for a period but for the minimum wage. This would get most people and companies on board. The company's paying the shortfall but then only allowed to give the person a job if no one else loses theirs... this would be morally right

Reply Posted by Collet on Tuesday April 29 2014 at 19:41
Always said nobody should be aloud to sit at home doing nothing when there fit and able, even benefits have to have a come from,it ain't a bottomless pit.!!!

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Tuesday April 29 2014 at 20:04
Do you actually know how much of your hard earned cash goes to people" sitting about doing nothing" as you so eloquently put?
Works out at 0.0005p for every thousand pounds earned..

What is the fastest growing benefit since the inception of the welfare state?
Tax Credits!
Why?
Because employers will NOT pay decent wages that's why!
Which benefit do we spend the most on?
Old age pensions.

As people are living longer the government (in their infinite wisdom - NOT) Have tried to stem the tide by ensuring that people work till they drop.

There wont be any sort of pension by the time I retire at 68 (so far) I dare say the pension age will be 70-75 before much longer.

Reply Posted by Danny on Tuesday April 29 2014 at 21:47
A lot of ppl relie on benafits and dunt wana job!! Maybe makin ppl work free anywhere would help, clean bogs 4 a job, not pay bus fare out everyday to say yes sir 3 bags full!

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Tuesday April 29 2014 at 23:47
Steveo makes some excellent points. The majority of benefits paid out in this country is to people in work. Yes. Tax credits. The idea of people sat around all day, watching Jeremy Kyle; drinking beer and smoking is a myth perpertrated by newspapers such as the Daily Mail.

@Collett - are you backward?

Reply Posted by Brian on Wednesday April 30 2014 at 23:04
Yes Kilkenny and he also makes some bad ones!

Reply Posted by Flynn on Thursday May 1 2014 at 19:43
Talks a lot more sense than half of the people does Steveo.

Reply Posted by Fiona on Wednesday April 30 2014 at 06:17
I would rather my tax go to old age pensioners! There generation wasn't as slack as ours and it wasn't as easy back then as it is now.
You doleys have it easy and your still not happy!
Iv had a job since I was 13, paper rounds then straight into emplyment at 16 as well as going to college then straight into full time employment after college.

You should all do volunteer work!!!
Refuse and your on the streets, screw human rights!!!

Reply Posted by -_- on Wednesday May 7 2014 at 17:23
Fiona..You realise people on the dole get taxed aswell right?, you will more than likely one day be in this situation one, and then you can see how hard it is to get a job. Forcing people is not going to help anything at all, it'll cause more uproar over human rights and slave labour. Im 2O, i haven't got a job, nor at college anymore.. I volunteer, go to adult learning course and am still in this position. Its not as easy as everyone thinks to go and get a job. Im sure if the shoe was on the other foot you wouldnt want to be forced to clean bins for litterally 50 quid a week. While the council/goverment lays workers of to make room for people on the dole, surely that'll create more problems!

Reply Posted by 4Ft11andshrinking on Wednesday April 30 2014 at 16:09
Working Tax credits are in work benefits, so they are not out of work benefits, the difference is not so subtle is it? From my point of view, I am proud to work and hopefully will be able to until I retire in 6 years.

Reply Posted by 4Ft11andshrinking on Wednesday April 30 2014 at 16:09

Reply Posted by 12345 on Wednesday April 30 2014 at 16:31
It doesn't matter if we like it or not, it's going to be the rules. A lot of people will "conveniently" find work when these new measures come in.

I'm sorry but I work 50 hour weeks so I don't see why people should get money for applying for 3 jobs a week, that's just enough to ensure the Job centre pay you your dole, turn the telly off put the tin of special brew down and get out there and look properly, if you have a bit of initiative and charisma you will be snapped up in an instant.

To the people who actually are trying and are falling at the last hurdle hang in there, there is a company for everyone.

Reply Posted by Blue sky on Wednesday April 30 2014 at 17:39
I agree with 12345 and also think that 3 job applications a week is insufficient. I bet that number grows once these new rules come in.

Btw Steveo we are sick of your preaching stop turning every thread into your own agenda.

Kilkenny are you retarded or just rude?

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday April 30 2014 at 19:47
Blue, merely pointing out facts to some retard who tars everyone with the same brush..

Reply Posted by Brian on Wednesday April 30 2014 at 23:10
Irrespective of what others think, I support the Government on this issue. Why should I, along with others who pay their taxes support the unemployed, many of who have no intention of seriously looking for a job? The unemployed should give something back to society in return for receiving a state handout.

Reply Posted by Emma on Thursday May 1 2014 at 08:23
Not everyone on benefits wants to be. I have been applying so many jobs and it is disheartening to not get any where. In my free time I have been doing courses to gain qualifications and volunteering. I have now been lucky enough to find work but it hasn't been easy. In 6 months I had 6 interviews but considering the amount of application for i was completing it was a nightmare. I've hated being on benefits

Reply Posted by 12345 on Thursday May 1 2014 at 08:30
Well done Emma, people like you are the people we need.

Not the creatures that hang about in the town centre pubs all day.

Reply Posted by kilkenny has a stalker on Thursday May 1 2014 at 11:14
Sid - you are a bit thick aren't you? I have pulled up a couple of people on this thread who have stereotyped unemployed people. I will continue to post. I find a lot of posters on We Are Barnsley offensive. But it is all part of the fun. I have to keep my fellow workers entertained and what better way than reading this site.

Reply Posted by tzj on Friday May 2 2014 at 16:53
To all the people dissing human rights, you probably wouldn't exitst and live the way you do without them! ... now who's the dumb ones!

Reply Posted by Dixie on Friday May 2 2014 at 18:15
There is a huge difference between those who really want to work but haven't been successful yet and those who have no intention of working and are happy to just suck up whatever benefits they can
I have no objection to people needing a hand up when times are tough to get back on their feet and working but I do have a real issue with paying my taxes for someone to sit on their arse doing bugger all with no intention of ever working cos it's easy to draw up to £30k a year in benefits!!!
This country has been too soft on benefits for too long!

Reply Posted by .true red on Friday May 2 2014 at 19:38
with the zero hour contracts and the new employment laws people who have worked for firms into there late fiftys and early sixtys are now being dismissed and thrown on to the job seekers allowance many of these have no idea of how to apply for vacancys on the internet having worked all there lives and will be penalised with sanctions others will be hard to train in workfare and will be dismissed as sherkers. Nobody but nobody in this age group could be discribed as idle lazy yet this is what the government would like you to believe

Reply Posted by max on Friday May 2 2014 at 20:14
I had a period of unemployment and each time I went to sign on I was asked are you looking for work. I said yes because I always was but I was never asked to prove it. We are just numbers on a conveyor belt.. in sign on n out again. It's too easy.. Thank goodness I worked hard enough to find work..but with no help from job centre. . They don't give a hoot.

Reply Posted by sid on Friday May 2 2014 at 20:33
I tried to post a job vacancy on their website, its almost impossible. I gave it 30mins trying,but just couldn't do it. I had to phone them to help me (Plymouth or Portsmouth if I recall)the lady was very helpful to be fair but I got no local response for the vacancy. Technology has taken over. What was wrong with the post card system in the local job centre? Most people want to work local and the local jobs were all on a notice board. Their website is geared up for benefits and not job vacancies. I won't bother with it in future,its total rubbish.

Reply Posted by jamie on Sunday May 4 2014 at 00:14
To those saying its slave labour why not take a minute to work out how much housing benefit, council tax and whatever else adds up to? Im pretty sure that all added together including job seekers allowence plus any prescriptions or dentist visits needed adds up to a minimum wage paid job! Hardly slave labour! Merely just earning the money they're been given

Reply Posted by malcolm on Sunday May 4 2014 at 17:18
should make MP'S do the same there the ones that rip off society,. they always put the blame on the poorest in society to make them look bad,. it takes the heat of mp's they try to make people on benefits look like scroungers but you cant blame everyone on benefits a lot of them dont want to be on benefits,. the system sucks one rule for them and another for everyone else,. they are the real parasites in this country,.. Britiain is millions in debt!!!! who too bloody aliens from outer space,..

Reply Posted by annoyed on Sunday May 4 2014 at 17:21
How is it slave labour lol... The benefits you get are your wages

Reply Posted by niki on Sunday May 4 2014 at 17:29
Do you know why Barnsley has the highest unemployment rate? 1 16-24 year olds don't have relevant experience and unable to gain it because most employers aren't willing to offer a chance and 2 insurance purposes. As for " there are plenty of jobs out there" it isn't the case because most jobs are going to people who came to the uk for work because they are willing to work for less. Not everyone is willing to sit on there backsides everyday claiming benefits there are people out there looking and trying everything to gain employment i was one of those people looking for work applying for 6-7 jobs a day willing to take any job until i found work recently. Yes most people abuse the system but not everyone and those who doesn't get tarred with the same brush as those who abuse the benefit system.

Reply Posted by another anon on Sunday May 4 2014 at 18:08
I suppose everyone has their own unique outlook on benefit claimants etc. But why does everyone assume that being on benefits automatically makes you watch jeremy kyle, have a big tv, smoke weed, drink alcohol and be a burden on society? I know plenty of ppl in work who are like this!!! Still, I suppose EVERYONE "knows" how EVERY benefit claimant lives their life. It seems ppl have a very unique way of assuming the worst of ppl just because they claim. Ah well, the great british ppl, "let us assume the truth and judge on falsely rather than know the truth"

Reply Posted by Liz on Sunday May 4 2014 at 18:29
I have just finished work at 61 , since I was 15 I've always been able to get a job my last job I was asked back after a gap of 6 years ! I believe if you have a good attitude and a good work ethic you will succeed

Reply Posted by jamie on Sunday May 4 2014 at 19:31
Which ever outlook you have its a win win! People that are on the dole through no choice of their own will welcome a chance to get tgeir foot in the door and those who want to stay at home and do as they please with no intention of getting a job will have to go out and work, these people are still going to receive their benefits! WWhich as I said before probably adds up to more than a minimum wage job! Housing benefit around 100 per week, around 25 council tax per week, any other benefits plus their job seekers works out around about same as minimum wage

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Monday May 5 2014 at 10:10
Most certainly NOT a win win for the person "FORCED" into working for a multi national for FREE is it?

Also the "help to work" scheme is not only ILLEGAL but contravenes Human Rights legislation...

Th e law says an unemployed person has a certain amount to live on (£71 a week) if said person is travelling by bus / train to slave labour job for free then said person HAS to pay for bus or train fares out of their benefits, so ILLEGAL!

A case has already been lodged by the ECHR and the ICC over the "help to work" scheme there is also a judicial revue taking place and a large public group are taking the DWP to the high court citing that the "help to work scheme" is illegal as described in my post above.

The unfortunate thing is the large majority of people that post on this site have been brainwashed by the nefarious right wing media and view ALL benefit claimants as sitting around at home or being in the pub, this of course is complete and utter rubbish.
I'm not saying that there aren't a few that abuse the system and have abused said system for many years, but, tis the system which was introduced by Labour which allowed many people to a life on benefits.

Yes things have got to change, especially the way that the right wing media portray the "benefit scroungers" , but we all know who the real scroungers are don't we?
They are sat on the green benches in the houses of parliament and the house of lords.

Reply Posted by no brainer on Monday May 5 2014 at 12:22
wont work for a pittance when I can sit at home for a pittance.. no brainer. low paid work is a sad and wrong. go to work and be able to live. I am better off not working. and yes I worked 50 hrs plus weekly, paid all bills and run car I needed for work and I had £24 left. so sad when I am better off NOT working.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Monday May 5 2014 at 18:16
Chuffin hell, that's shocking!

Cant you claim Tax Credits?

Even if you are proud and are eligible then get it claimed!

Reply Posted by volunteering is a vocational initiative on Sunday May 4 2014 at 19:31
Why take it out on voluntary services that do go jobs by people who wish to give up there time and usually knowledge.... Can you imagine all that time and money it takes on training volunteers for some one who is only there to keep there money, send the unqualified to college give them life skills, sift out potential volunteers and for those who just can't be arsed get chewing gum off the st, it's awful to work in volunteering with people who's hearts aren't into it even though they thought it would suit them. Uni students need the experience....

Reply Posted by .... on Monday May 5 2014 at 08:38
I will admit looking for work was difficult for me although I knew jobs were everywhere its how commited you are to getting off your arse. I was in between JSA and work even temping. Trying ASOS and everywhere I could. I hated some jobs I did but it was money. I filled around 3 books a fortnight as I hated the thought of people thinking I was a dole snatcher. I don't know how some actually could say they are looking for work and apply for 3 jobs and get away with that. Thankfully in the end I managed to find full time work and I'm so over the moon again to be earning a living. Isn't much but its better than 50 odd quid a week. But Barnsley is like other places in the UK. If you don't step up with your job search, you'll not get anywhere. If you've not got qualifications, go to college and see what your opinions are. Help is out there if people want to sort themselves out that bad.

Reply Posted by blue sky on Monday May 5 2014 at 21:38
I agree with the above that people in the area need to educate themselves and need to push their kids to enjoy school and do well. A better attitude with less spitting, swearing and rough ott put on accents wouldnt go ammiss either.
Applying for several jobs everyday is a must and getting washed and wearing smart clothing for interviews too. Plus not having a chip on the shoulder, good timekeeping and a willingness to work helps.

I wonder how many unemployed grasp all that?

Reply Posted by -.- on Wednesday May 7 2014 at 17:30
i grasped all of that ''blue sky'' not all kids are going to enjoy school and do well no matter how much parents push them! i didnt do that well at school completely my fault. However since leaving college ive worked my arse of to get qualifications. If it wasnt for adult and family learning i would be getting the qualifications i need.

Reply Posted by anon on Monday June 16 2014 at 16:31
i was out of work for 3-4 months till i got a job... there are plenty of jobs out there problem is alot of folk wont accept a job unless it pays top doller, or alot of folk think they are above some jobs... always cleaning jobs going and call center jobs and things like that. its not ideal but its a job... and id sooner pay my own way and enjoy myself when i know ive worked for it rather than apply for a couple of jobs, enjoy my dole money and basically do nothing. gotta get yourself out there and put back what you took out of the system. i understand that everyone needs help sometimes and the jobcenter is great for things like that in hard times... personally i think if your on jobseekers for a certain ammount of time you should have to earn the money, street sweeping, litter picking or generally trying to benefit the community... also if your on job seekers for a perlonged period of time possibly have some 1-1 skill building sessions to help with interveiw techniques and such because you may not be doing something right... drug tests would come in handy aswell... some right sights while i was on dole...

so yeah. i was on dole so cant knock it too much but ive paid in a lot more than what i took out, for those job hunting good luck :)