News » WAB Debate

Is Two Too Young To Start Education? A WAB Debate

Thursday May 1 2014

Ofsted Ofsted

CHILDREN as young as two could start school. Is this too early in a child's life? Have your say on our WAB Debate.

Ofsted boss Sir Michael Wilshaw wants nursery classes to teach children to count and grasp basic words. Currently, many schools with nurseries only take children from the age of three.

A report from the education watchdog highlighted the achievement gap between kids from disadvantaged families and more affluent youngsters, with only a third of children from low-income family reaching a 'good' level of development by the age of five.

"The attainment gap is large and if that is to be narrowed, education needs to start much earlier on," Mr Wilshaw said.

Is two too young? Or is it a good idea to get youngsters in schools earlier? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by happy with my child at home mum on Monday April 28 2014 at 11:41
Let toddlers be toddlers they spend enough time in education when they start school never mind them wanting to make kids stay at school for 10 hours a day ... leave our kids alomne for god sake ... some people have kids because they want to raise them not dump them in school for some complete stranger to look after my daughter is a hand full to look after so why would I let someone else whos looking after several other kids look after mine aswell she wont have the full attention she needs and she learns more at home shes very foward and cleaver for her age why dont they concentrate on more important things like making shore they aren't employing kiddy fiddlers fedup of seeing things about it on news ... and befor anyone has anything to say to me its my opinion and im eentitle to it :)

Reply Posted by Concerned Parent on Monday April 28 2014 at 11:50
I think it's far too young. I class two year olds as babies, so I have no idea why they would want them to be in school at that age. Let them learn naturally.

Reply Posted by cheryl on Monday April 28 2014 at 12:18
I think that two is a bit too young to be starting school, however I think free nursery places should be available for all children not just the children of parents on low incomes. My daughter turned two in january and is not entitled to a place as my partners income is too high! I find this terrible as my daughter and other children are missing out because of our income! We did enquire about paying for her to go but all the places are taken by the free placements. I am not trying to palm my daughter off on other people I just feel it would benefit her social and development skills! I find it highly unfair some two year olds get places and some don't, what happened to equality?

Reply Posted by sammy on Monday April 28 2014 at 21:07
i heard from the local childrens centre today they are making the 2yr entitlement for working parents aswell

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Monday April 28 2014 at 12:35
look at it this way a person on this planet is older more than they are younger so in my eyes a kids brain is like a sponge when at this young age they learn a lot faster and take it all in.learning does nesessarily mean the three rs but the skills to socialise working together will bare fruit job wise at a latter day in there life.

Reply Posted by mum to 6 on Monday April 28 2014 at 13:06
Im sorry but i agree with happy with my child at home sending kids to school from 2 stinks the shud consentrate on sorting all bullying of in school not try makin our kids go to school from a young age let us spend sum quility time with them whille the still young its rediculase bloody cretins

Reply Posted by anorak on Wednesday April 30 2014 at 14:07
Hmmmmm. Maybe education SHOULD be started earlier so that children have a basic grasp of the English Language...

Reply Posted by April on Monday April 28 2014 at 14:50
Mum to 6 - you ve shot yourself right in the foot with your comments ! Some people HAVE to have childcare /nursery .. or they can t work .. they go to work to give their children a better life , they also like to give their children a good education .... Hardly any of your words were spelt right ? Education also comes from the parents who don't work , and I surmise with 6 children , its been difficult for you to do so , but simple words like ' should and quality ' are not difficult .. this is why the article says some families ' children are not getting educated at home , and are slow learners when they do get to school .

Reply Posted by toni on Monday April 28 2014 at 15:34
I have 2 children 3 year old and 22 week old my oldest as been going to nursery from 10 month old as we both work. I think it's good for them as learn to share and social skills it's best thing iv done only few mornings a week but she loves it and others would too think be good to have a choice at 2 and be free for all I had to pay as earn too much

Reply Posted by Jeff Price on Monday April 28 2014 at 16:36
What's wrong with it? It's great for them to be in an environment with kids their own age. It's inevitable kids will have better social skills in later life as well as more intellect. Great idea.

Reply Posted by PJ on Monday April 28 2014 at 18:17
Under no circumstances would I allow any of my children go to school at the age of 2. I gave up a good job to be a stay at home Mum so that I could stay at home and enjoy the very short time that they are young. They have no problems with social skills, and in my opinion, have plenty of time to learn any life skills that they need, and haven't learnt at home (if any) once they start part time schooling at 3. I certainly don't believe that schooling for children age 2 should be compulsory - but there probably are some children that would be better off at school - and of course, it would help the parents who choose to go back to work.

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday April 29 2014 at 13:23
Kids grow up too fast as it is, this maybe good for working patents but I really do thinks parent should spend more time with their young ones to bond n develop positive relationships a child who is sometimes not with their patents can end up resenting them because of no bond stay at home with your baby n have fun while you can

Reply Posted by emma on Tuesday April 29 2014 at 20:52
2 yrs is far too young to be starting school. I have a 3 yr old and a 6 yr old. You don't get alto of time with them before school and that time should be cherished, they not toddlers long. My 3 yr old has started pre school and I'll admit it has made him more confident and more aware of other children his age but at 2 he was in my eyes way too young.

Reply Posted by Mrs Bunnie on Tuesday April 29 2014 at 21:55
Im a childminder and I offer the 2 year funded sessions. The changes in these children is immense. The aim of the scheme is to prevent rather than cure any issues with the child before they enter school. ie speech delay, physical development, lack of confidence. I agree that children are not children for as long as they should be, I dont agree with the school at the age of 2 either. I feel very strongly that ALL children, regardless of socio economic background should be eligible for the funded sessions from the age of 2. As a childcare professional this is something i feel for strongly about.

Reply Posted by Katie on Wednesday April 30 2014 at 09:05
My child would most definitely not be going to school at 2 years old that is beyond a joke, & if they change the hours of school to longer i will most certainly be homeschooling him, they would come in from school have their tea/supper & be going straight in bath & bed where is the time to spend with them seeing what theyve learnt at school that day, would be like your only seeing them properly on a weekend absolutely unreal this world the stupid ideas they come up with

Reply Posted by rachel on Wednesday April 30 2014 at 13:06
yes you are very right x

Reply Posted by niki on Wednesday April 30 2014 at 09:15
So what about these working families or single working parents then who are using it while they go out to work is that wrong also? To some its a god send because it takes some pressure off them financially with the free 15 hour funding. I use it for my two year old as i work 16 hours a week does that make me a bad parent? The options for staying home with your children are to be scrapped so there isn't going to be a choice anymore it's either go out to work or benefits your entitled to for your child/children i.e child tax and child benefit are to be stopped.

Reply Posted by rachel seward on Wednesday April 30 2014 at 13:05
of course its too early I have a 5 year old 3 year old n a 2 year old and have got to say you carnt be serious start and I would be able to trust any1 with my child at a young age its shocking I work my husband work and we have three childen n I think its too early at 3 to start school to be fair it should be staying till there older taking them off streets when there older and on jsa....not making them start when there 2 what a joke seriously

Reply Posted by lauren on Wednesday April 30 2014 at 18:11
Educating your child starts at home anyway.

Reply Posted by sal on Saturday May 10 2014 at 16:02
Never too young or too old to learn.

Reply Posted by rachel on Sunday May 11 2014 at 13:39
sal u ovisouly don't av kids or care tht much thn do u

Reply Posted by ron on Monday May 12 2014 at 16:21
I'm guessing its not actually school but extending the 15 free hours at nursery/pre-school to 2 year old. Which isn't compulsory to 3 and 4 year olds anyway.