Pensioner Woken Up By Burglar

Thursday May 1 2014

South Yorkshire Police South Yorkshire Police

A BARNSLEY pensioner had a nasty wake-up call when he was confronted by a burglar at his home.

Detectives are appealing for witnesses and information about the incident which happened at around 6am on 25 April at a property on Carlton Road, Smithies.

The 73-year-old came downstairs to find the intruder, who ran off towards Wakefield Road after a struggle.

The resident was left shaken but unhurt by the incident.

Police believe the man, who was white and wearing a black top, got into the house through a window. It is not yet known if anything was stolen.

Any witnesses to the aggravated burglary or anyone with information should contact South Yorkshire Police on 101 and quote incident number 129 of April 25, 2014. Alternatively, people can call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

Reply Posted by me on Thursday May 1 2014 at 12:21
Happened to a family member police took items with dna on promised to get back to them never did and he was left badly beaten all they did was leave a crime number they make me sick

Reply Posted by Neil on Thursday May 1 2014 at 16:54
We'll said me police r a waste a space they owt to string em up
If they catch them thieving SCUMBAGS.

Reply Posted by me2 on Thursday May 1 2014 at 20:18
Neil, don't bother ringing them when ur giro gets nicked!!!

Reply Posted by Neil on Friday May 2 2014 at 06:57
Am not on giro we'll i am I work for council LOL

Reply Posted by Joanne on Friday May 2 2014 at 09:29
We were broken into a few years ago in the early hours while we were asleep in bed.I phoned the Police as soon as we were up in the morning and they came within half an hour. They were very thorough and I have no complaints at all. I think they do a very difficult job to their best abilities.

Reply Posted by Alex on Saturday May 3 2014 at 21:20
Instead of using cameras to catch drunks, and cars without tax discs in the town centre, I think, if the cameras were up in housing estates, that would be a start!

Reply Posted by yep on Saturday May 3 2014 at 21:59
well said Alex, but it wont happen because theres too many people who say, its invading their privacy!!! well if ya not doing anything wrong why would you have a problem with cameras been up to protect people and their property... had this argument with my brother, he thinks its wrong to have cctv... I think it should be compulsory... especially around vulnerable people homes

Reply Posted by Andrew Hawkins on Saturday May 3 2014 at 22:32
Police do a fantastic job in our town. Folk do not realise what goes on behind the scenes, trying to keep everyone safe within resources they have. People need to get off their bums and start looking out for each other a bit more. Especially our vulnerable. It's ok to comment or moan when it's too late.

Reply Posted by disgusted on Sunday May 4 2014 at 15:02
Its disgusting as when the do catch em if the do catch em the get a slap on hand its like where i live the must b at least 30 dif lads tjat go to 1 house and mamy a times i seen them running past with things the been and stolen from sum 1ns house that the have jst burgled and when police have been the havnt dun any thing the all want takin up to moors the dirty scumbags