News » WAB Debate

'Overtaking' Lanes In Shops - A Good Idea?

Wednesday April 23 2014

Photo from Sheffield City Region Photo from Sheffield City Region

MEADOWHALL visitors will soon be able to take part in a trial 'overtaking lane' to get past dawdling shoppers. Is this a good idea? Would you like to see it in stores? Have your say!

If you think it's a good idea, you have 10-year-old Chloe Nash-Lowe to thank. The schoolgirl wrote to bosses at Meadowhall having been enraged by slow walkers holding her up.

Now, the popular shopping centre is to trial a lane for those in more of a hurry.

Is this a good idea? Do you find yourself getting irritated by slow walkers when you're shopping? Could this lane work? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by David on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 12:22
Brilliant, I thought about that at Christmas. Can they also install slow speed cameras and display pictures so you know who to avoid?!?!

Reply Posted by Nicola on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 12:45
A 10 year old girl was "enraged by slow walkers holding her up"??! Seriously??!!! Was she in a rush to get home and play with her Barbie dolls? God help her when she grows up and has to deal with the real frustrations in life. If however this is "news paper speak" and the little girl just simply made an observation which Meadowhall have acted upon the fair dos and give it a go. It works on the tube in London.

Reply Posted by minnie me on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 13:49
Great idea my daughter has to use a walking frame and people alway seem to moan under their breaths about how slow and clumsy she is

Reply Posted by Suburban Jesus on Thursday April 24 2014 at 13:28
and rightly so, dont take her to mega busy shopping area's and you wont get the hassle. im sorry fro your daughter but when i hvae only 2days off a week i dont want some dawdling disabled person holding me up.

Reply Posted by Nicola on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 14:25
In which case 'minnie me' it's not an "over taking" lane that these people need, it's some patience and understanding! That could be any one of them one day. Bless her. But agreed, if that makes your daughter feel less conscious then it's worth a try.

Reply Posted by minnie me on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 14:36
True. Luckily she's only young at mo so nothing bothers her yet

Reply Posted by Ian on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 20:57
Thank the lord!! I've been wanting this to happen for years! Not just in Meadowhall but on the streets too! It works for traffic in vehicles so why not walkers? I say make lanes and even go to the point of fining people that move too slow. I have to start my christmas shopping in June just do get to get past the doddering old sods that seem to think they have all the time in the world to pick up a quarter of boiled ham on a wednesday. Fantastic news, I'm all for it.

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 21:11
Mmmm,just wait Ian love! Doesn't time fly, the slow lane awaits you.:-)

Reply Posted by Milly Molly Mandy on Saturday April 26 2014 at 11:33
It seems to me that the people in a hurry at Meadowhall are the staff on their breaks heading for the nearest fast food outlet.

I don’t walk that quickly when I’m shopping, I like looking around, I’m shopping not power walking. Even so, the number of times I've been stopped dead in my tracks by the key tapping zombies in front of me who are zoned in on their keyboard conversation.

Should we have a special ‘lane’ for them? Or should we try and have a bit of consideration for other people?

Reply Posted by ian on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 21:49
You're not wrong anon, I'm no spring chicken now and when the time comes that I can't move fast enough I'll happily move to the slow lane and let the faster movers go about their day in a quarter of the time it might take me. All I can see is a win win situation.

Reply Posted by Linda on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 23:32
Wot a stupid & money wasting idea. Listening to one little girls complaint. Maybe, she should stop at home.

Reply Posted by Brian on Thursday April 24 2014 at 13:29
meadowhall is mega busy at the best of times, this is a good idea. my guess, is that you linda love are one of those bloody dawdlers that love a conversation in the middle of a walk way and hold everyone else up!

Reply Posted by Dave ,M on Saturday April 26 2014 at 11:11
Can we have 'Over 18s Only' days, so we can avoid silly and selfish schoolchildren?

Reply Posted by june on Saturday April 26 2014 at 12:12
Can we have a women's only day as the men just hang around with faces like a slapped ring piece.

Reply Posted by june on Saturday April 26 2014 at 12:14
And what about a men's only day and then us women don't have to pretend to look interested at blue/grey/brown/black trousers!

Reply Posted by june on Saturday April 26 2014 at 12:18
Can we have a Barnsley shoppers only day, now that might just rattle them tills. Nice shops with stuff in them that we actually want to buy. :-) :-) :-) :-) heaven!

Reply Posted by Melanie on Saturday April 26 2014 at 18:02
What about a simple excuse me-doesn't cost anything either .what a total load of rubbish .

Reply Posted by june on Saturday April 26 2014 at 18:18
Comments were hi lighting what a crass world we live in,when people can't say excuse me. It was tongue in cheek Melanie. In other words you're right.

Reply Posted by a on Saturday April 26 2014 at 18:27
what we need are fines for old folk shopping on a weekend,do my head in,monday to thursday should be fine free its not like they do owt else all week

Reply Posted by june on Saturday April 26 2014 at 18:44