Number Of Jobless In Barnsley Rises Again

Thursday March 1 2012

JOB statistics released reveal that the number of unemployed people in Barnsley has risen once again.

Dan Jarvis, MP, says there are now 2,741 unemployed people in the Barnsley Central constituency alone.

He said: “This is devastating news for the people of Barnsley and the British economy.

“Over 2,700 people have to claim jobseekers allowance because there are no jobs available. That is 136 more people in the last year who have become unemployed.”

Reply Posted by It's isn't spelt as THREW on Thursday March 1 2012 at 11:25
Is it any wonder so many people in Barnsley don't have a job - mostly due to the fact they can't even spell !!!  ..... I really wonder what half of the peoples CV's would look like with loads of spelling mistakes, a sure way to impress an employer.. not

Also most people don't even bother looking for a job, they just ask on the FB page if anyone knows of any jobs (try looking in the JOB CENTRE or DIRECTGOV website) - I suppose you want someone else to work the hours for you too. Also many are even to lazy to travel to a place of work - endless number of times I see people say "too far" when told about a job

Reply Posted by Hetty on Thursday March 1 2012 at 11:28
I think if they closed down Facebook more people would go out and look for a job

Reply Posted by Joan Raynes on Thursday March 1 2012 at 12:43
If anyone would like a job eating the best nutrition on the planet, recommending it to others and being paid for it, let me know. Immediate start available. Message me on 07951642768 and we'll sit down and have a chat.

Reply Posted by Fayeosbornes on Thursday March 1 2012 at 18:11
it will rise by 1 more when i get made redundant in july

Reply Posted by Guest on Thursday March 1 2012 at 22:17
 Yes and the number of thick shits that think THOUGHT is spelt THORT increases daily on the FB page.

Reply Posted by Guest on Thursday March 1 2012 at 22:17

Reply Posted by Fellows_nicola on Thursday March 1 2012 at 23:36
This country and district is one big joke now, no wonder many locals are emigrating, i will be the first chance i get too. The Great is now missing fron Britain.

Reply Posted by Stefan matthews on Monday March 5 2012 at 15:14
The problem with barnsley,most jobs are factory work on the minimum wage,even if you go to school and get loads of qualifications,you are gonna really have to move out of town for a decent paid job.I am currently unemployed myself,worked in about 6 factorys since i left school and now im 30,its a depressive place to work and you get no respect from your employer,like me i never want to work in a factory again if im honest,people say its a job at the end of the day,but i have more respect for myself so im looking higher up than a shitty factory,and for those people what do work the arses off in factorys you deserve more respect than that what you get.

Reply Posted by Abc on Tuesday March 6 2012 at 12:41
I love a grammar nazi. Worry about your own grammar, sentances end with a FULL STOP!

Reply Posted by Gingersnap on Tuesday March 6 2012 at 15:08
I bet you didnt get many serious replies

Reply Posted by Gingersnap on Tuesday March 6 2012 at 15:13
I totally agree with you. Poor education and lack of educational drive seems central to the reasons behind unemployment especially within this areat. There are jobs out there but to be honest what company wants to employ people who cannot read, write or who lack basic maths. There seems to be a silly working class hero pride in being thick in Barnsley. It is time that people got off facebook and their mobiles and if unable to get a job, go back to school. Get ready for the nasty abuse now. Come on you know I am right people!

Reply Posted by Becky on Wednesday March 7 2012 at 11:15
I am currently unemployed and living in Barnsley and I am sick and tired of people stereotyping people who are on Job Seekers Allowance. I am a newly qualified teacher but with over 250 people applying for each job that comes up it's near enough impossible to even get an interview let alone the job. So I have put my career goals on a back burner in order to try and get off of JSA and stop spending all your hard earned cash (even though I will more than pay in back when I finally get a job). In the last week alone I have applied for 15 jobs in the East Midlands for various positions from shop assistants to recruitment consultancy.

I think those people with jobs need to realise just how lucky they are, have you ever been into the job centre? Sure there are people in there who have no intention of ever getting a job but there are other kinds of people in there too. There are university graduates like myself who are struggling to get into their chosen field, there are middle aged men and women who after working their arses off for over 20 years for the same company have been made redundant, there are single parents trying to find a job that fits in around their child's school times...

It is about time people stopped judging and realised how bad the job market actually is. I was told in the job centre to not even bother looking at the jobs advertised in Barnsley and to move away. Have the people with nice secure jobs looked in the emploment section of the Chronicle lately? The pages are bare!

Good luck to all you job hunters! And especially to those of you who can't move away. I suppose I am lucky in that respect!

Reply Posted by JG on Wednesday March 7 2012 at 13:22
I don't think you can say 'most' people aren't bothering to look. I'd say 'most' people are actively looking for jobs and you can look all you want but if you don't have the experience or qualifications required you're not going to stand a shot with the number of people who you'll be going up against. I imagine it's the minority who sit around hoping for their luck to change with no imput from them.I agree, to a certain extent about the travel, I used to have to travel to and from the White Rose Centre everyday before landing the job I wanted within walking distance. With petrol to pay it was costing me upwards of £60 a week to get to and from work and for the money I was on it really wasn't worth it. I am one of these people who needs to be active and working but I can completely understand someone not taking a job if the distance and the commute was too much. The government says you shouldn't have to travel for more than an hour and a half to get to your job and I agree. I work to live, not live to work!

Reply Posted by Mark on Wednesday March 7 2012 at 16:54
too right becky have worked more or less all my life.Am 42 years of age,got laid of just before christmas.its bloody hard getting a full time,its all agency work.

Reply Posted by Joan Raynes on Wednesday March 7 2012 at 19:25
I got no replies, but that's about par for the course.  It's a self-employed position, with great tax advantages, work your own hours around your family and other responsibilities, earn an unlimited income and have the opportunity to be trained by people who earn 20K a month and you can travel the world as a business expense, eating the same nutrition as Lionel Messi and David Beckham.
 If you're not interested in the health and fitness industry, this wouldn't be for you. I rest my case. All I know is I get paid 50% profit on the products I sell and I earn a residual income from the people I introduce to the company. The more I introduce the more we all get paid.  It's a bit of a no-brainer. It's a fantastic opportunity for someone with a bit of ambition. Is there anyone like that left in Barnsley?

Reply Posted by Becky on Thursday March 8 2012 at 10:36
It is very hard and I don't think some people realise. What has made it hard for me is people finishing their degree, realising there is no graduate work and going back to uni for an extra year to get a teaching qualification. There are thousands of unemployed teachers because universities give the impression there are a lot of teaching jobs. 'We will always need teachers' is what I was told...it's all lies! I spent thousands of pounds getting a good education just to end up on the dole and have people treat me like scum of the earth. Money well spent! NOT!
Good luck anyway Mark i'm sure something will come up, just keep at it and don't let it get you down! :)

Reply Posted by Sarah on Wednesday August 29 2012 at 19:41
Im a single mum and im in training at the minute as im needing something in school time due to having 2 beautiful children who wont stay with anyone only me. Ive took up Avon and its been the best decision ive made, all training is given to you and im looking for MEN and WOMEN to join my team, avon have a promotion on at the minute for all new reps in which they recieve £150 of rewards if you are interested in becomming a rep or just want to find out more, please send me a message and ill get striaght back to you.

Reply Posted by James on Wednesday September 26 2012 at 14:34
next time some loud mouthed chav yob wants to start saying people in Barnsley are thick I'm educated I'm qualified oh yeah and did i forget to mention i have a muscle and nerve wastage disease i can't get diddly for. I have to go on JSA and try and find a job to the best of my abilities, i was told i may get my JSA stopped when i am actively looking for work to best of my ability. Don't you dare comment on people being thick you stuck up toffee nosed cretin.

Reply Posted by James on Wednesday September 26 2012 at 21:11
Oh and it has been stopped, if anyone as advice who isn't a stuck up tory supporting idiot. You know who im on about on this thread please give me some advice cause i am losing money yet for another week of complying within law for stuff you are supposed to do with your JSA im either eligible for ESA and being told i cant have it cause my doctors not noted my med records down correctly.