Project May Have To Fold

Wednesday April 16 2014

A DROP-IN project which has helped vulnerable people in the town for 11 years may have to close.

Barnsley Churches Drop-In Project, which provides food to the town's needy from its John Street base three times a week, now faces an uncertain future.

The 11-year-old charity, which relies on donations and volunteers, welcomes homeless people and addicts through its doors and offers information and a listening ear for its users to talk to.

Kate Raynor, chair of the project, said: "We only have six months' funding left as we do not receive any funding directly from the council.

"It would be a great shame if this service was to stop. The number of people relying on us is higher than ever and we are desperate for the project to continue.

"We would love some other local companies to support us, through sponsorship, having a collection or fundraising event, or by funding an aspect of our running costs.

"We spend around £300 per year on carrier bags, so if a company would be willing to provide branded bags that would make a huge difference."

Call 01226 321877 if you would like to help out.

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Wednesday April 16 2014 at 16:11
do you know what realy bothers me about this is that this charity and probably similar could be funded easily by the council by simply growing some and charging a certain ammount for the blue badge parking scheme hence raising funds to help needy causes,the cancer of blue badge abuse weighs heavy on the abusers.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Wednesday April 16 2014 at 18:40
I have a blue badge and I lend it to my family so that there can park for free and get a good space in town.. share and share and share...

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Saturday April 26 2014 at 20:55
So my 76 year old mother who has COPD and a congenital heart condition and who is only kept alive by tablets is a "blue badge abuser" then?
If I take her anywhere in MY car then the badge goes with us, is it REALLY such a problem to you?
Oh silly me nearly forgot, my mother can only walk 30 yards and she HAS to stop for a few minutes so it is VITAL that If I go to drop her off anywhere that I can park as close as possible to the place she needs to be.
Or should I park 600 yards away from where she needs to be and take the risk she might not make it there and back?

Or should I just chain her down the cellar and throw her a piece of mouldy bread?

AND just for the record, it is very rare that I take my mam anywhere in my car as she has her own personal chauffeur, my dad! but when I do I WILL park as close to anywhere she needs to be and display the badge PROUDLY!

some people really are dickheads!

Reply Posted by minnie me on Wednesday April 16 2014 at 18:22
There is a charge of 10pounds to process blue badge applications.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Saturday April 19 2014 at 01:23
God my stalker never stops. Do **** off

Reply Posted by H@ZZ@RD on Sunday April 20 2014 at 20:21
Why can't the church dip into it's own pocket if it wants to help these unfortunate people,after all it's not like it can't afford it.

Reply Posted by confused on Sunday April 20 2014 at 21:17
Blue badge???? Londoners????? Whats that got to do with owt?

Reply Posted by Andy on Monday April 21 2014 at 08:25
Traffic wardens should be able to check out the user of the blue badge for fraud

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Monday April 21 2014 at 19:52
andy your quite right ,the point i am trying to get across the blue badge blatant abuse means that more often than not the genuinely disabled cannot park where they want to ,the badges have been dished out like smarties ,so if we cant correct this now terminal cancer lets put a small charge on the blue badge parking for example if you pay 1.40 for two hours let the blue badge holders pay say 70 pence this could then maybe keep the toilets open or help charities what about tackling the drug issues barnsley has,how many of us have seen the badges abused or who knows someone abusing the badge scheme,all this abuse is doing the harm to the people of barnsley,the council is broke look at the parks that are going to shut ,toilets that are closing ,THINK HARD EVERYTIME YOU THROW THOSE BLUE BADGES IN THE CAR WINDSCREEN AND KNOW YOU SHOULDNT BE USING THEM.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Monday April 21 2014 at 19:55
I am not paying to park with my blue badge you fool.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Monday April 21 2014 at 21:15
According to the Governments projected New Pip rules 75% of current blue badge holders in the country will lose the entitlement to be awarded a blue badge under new rules for re-assessment in next 3 years.

Labour also supported this move.

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Monday April 21 2014 at 21:51
dear kfc the biggest abusers to what i see are the over 65 s the untouchables these to me seem to be the biggest abusers all theyll do is give the badge to the kids or whatever .

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Saturday April 26 2014 at 20:54

some people really are dickheads!

Reply Posted by Kfc on Monday April 21 2014 at 22:10
@guyfawkes I'm 100% with you on this one I for one agree there needs to be change. However the over 65 will not be exempt from these changes. However as far as PIP rules go that's another story.

Reply Posted by Latricia Bourdages on Saturday August 2 2014 at 05:12
I was trying to find this when i very first obtained here right now, anyway Im wonderful to be at this point