Firefighters Warn Of E-Cigarette Dangers

Thursday April 17 2014

FIREFIGHTERS have warned about the potential dangers posed by e-cigarettes after a string of fires caused by the devices and their chargers.

Fires at seven premises are believed to have been caused by e-cigarettes in South Yorkshire in the last year, including one last year on Doncaster Road, Barnsley, which tore through a property.

E-cigarettes are commonly charged via a USB port and fire investigators think blazes start because they have been left to charge too long, are charged on or close to soft furnishings, or because the charger itself is faulty.

Head of community safety Kevin Ronan said: "Fires caused by e-cigarettes are an emerging trend which, two years ago, simply did not exist."

Reply Posted by dafuq on Thursday April 17 2014 at 14:16
Fed up of these articles trying to tarnish ecigs. Any device that uses rechargeable batteries has the same potential hazards when used with an inappropriate charger or power supply. Use the correct charger for your battery and you wont have a problem.

Reply Posted by gimp on Thursday April 17 2014 at 14:27
Ecigs themselves are not the cause of the problem. The problem is improper charging of Li-ion batteries, i.e using the wrong power supply. Saying this problem didn't exist 2 years ago is wrong and so is linking it to ecigs specifically.

Buy a reputable ecig from a reputable company and a charger that is specific for the type of battery it uses and there is no risk of this happening. The same goes for all other electronic devices that use these kind of batteries, which is most of modern technology. Laptops/Phones/Tablets etc.

Reply Posted by Oliver on Thursday April 17 2014 at 14:29
Agreed dafuq, mobile phones, ipods and anything else that has to be charged has the same hazzards if not used properly. Every time I see something trying to put down e-cigs I can't help but think it's something to do with the government not gaining enough tax revenue from them. I've been using e-cigs for the last 18 months, several different brands and chargers, I've even mixed and matched them. Never had a problem. The only thing I've seen is huge savings and better health.

Reply Posted by dafuq on Thursday April 17 2014 at 14:40
Yeh I agree, there definitely seems to be an agenda to ban e-cigs, or at least put people off using them (and carry on smoking cigs). Ecigs are obviously affecting the cash cow of cigarette tax. Not to mention the profit of cigarette manufacturers, maybe they have a hand in this sort of propaganda too.

Wether this article is propaganda or not is another question. I doubt it because of the source of the information. But I would say it is misdirected.

Reply Posted by Peter File on Thursday April 17 2014 at 22:43
In other news, man burns to death from dropping a lit cigarette whilst falling asleep.

Reply Posted by Oliver on Friday April 18 2014 at 09:17
Well said Peter and thanks for the response dafuq. I hear the rumour "There haven't been enough tests on e-cigs". But then again we have had intensive tests on real cigs and KNOW they can kill us. I know I don't cough up crap every morning anymore and it's not costing me a fortune to do that like it used to.

Reply Posted by E cig smoker on Monday April 21 2014 at 10:09
Ive had mine 8 months and never no problems

Reply Posted by M I B on Monday April 21 2014 at 10:20
In my point of view these silly dangerous and possibly lethal e-cigs should be banned until proper nhs testing on them has been carried passing that theyre safe to be used and also when they have passed electrical tests for charging safety.

It has been in media that loads that the e-cigs can contain anything from huge amounts of nicotine to poisonous antifreeze ' not only that but have passed no tests on electrical safety' but hey its your choice if you don't care what harm your doing to yourself and possibly others .

Reply Posted by tel on Monday April 21 2014 at 11:10
Just goes to show you have an ignorant ill-informed point of view.

Reply Posted by M I B on Tuesday April 22 2014 at 11:32
Tel my partner bought and tested one of these untested e cig kits as countless have to try and save on money . Tried for one weekend the result after was visiting Barnsley hospital for chronic painful head aches that stayed with her a good couple of months and still not fully recovered and only started with these head aches after that one weekend with each cig trial. So I'm hardly ill informed. Puff away at your own risk tel

Reply Posted by BullSh!t Man on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 10:49
BullSh!t

Reply Posted by tel on Tuesday April 22 2014 at 17:45
Get 20 cigs then, they're much better for you.

Reply Posted by M I B on Tuesday April 22 2014 at 23:22
personally id be well happy if smoking got banned horrible and expensive habbit

Reply Posted by tel on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 09:50
Is that your answer to everything ban it?

Reply Posted by M I B on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 10:11
If it kills and causes harm than yes why not ' What are the benefits of smoking ' I see none just clogs your insides with tar and causes u cancer makes you look years older rotts/ yellows your teeth and also stinks. Expensive harmful dangerous habit

Reply Posted by tel on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 14:01
Yes i know that's why people use e-cigs.