Tattooists Urged To Improve Hygienic Practices

Tuesday April 22 2014

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

OVER half of Barnsley's tattooists and skin piercers need to improve their hygienic practices.

Council officers have visited all 42 registered premises in the town, where they discovered that over half need to improve.

Further investigations were also undertaken to prevent unregistered practitioners - known as ‘scratchers’ - operating in the local area.

Officers warn that having tattoos or skin piercings done by unregistered practitioners can lead to risk of infection and possible disfigurement.

A council spokesman said: "Young people are particularly at risk from unscrupulous tattooists who do not work in hygienic studios and often visit clients at their home, undermining the legitimate trade.

"We are increasing our investigations into illegal operators and appropriate enforcement action will be taken against those who flout the law including confiscation of their equipment."

Reply Posted by June on Tuesday April 22 2014 at 11:26
These will be the same ones that tattoo under 18s too no doubt, always amazes me that people think that a tattooist willing to risk their license to tattoo a youngster would not break health and safety

No surprise at all but they should name them

Reply Posted by Wendy on Tuesday April 22 2014 at 11:42
Agreed. You should never go to anyone who's willing to overlook that rule. When visiting a tattooist always check out the studio and don't be scared to ask questions regarding hygiene. Unfortunately most people's only question is "how much?" if it's cheap they'll have it regardless of hygiene. Our shop was inspected with no recommendations of further improvements.

Reply Posted by toni on Tuesday April 22 2014 at 11:56
My partner had tattoo few years ago il not name tattooist shop it got weird and infected it's ruined bk of his leg scared and looks like corn beef on calf doc said was something to do with ink and needle mite not have been clean been to several tattooists and they have never seen anything like it and these was ones in Sheffield and Barnsley so I would recommend check everything that's it's all sterile

Reply Posted by nic on Tuesday April 22 2014 at 12:49
If over half need to improve the hygiene standards they should be named so people know to keep away and the same should apply to the sunbed shops that were found breaking the law a few weeks ago ..

Reply Posted by Andy on Tuesday April 22 2014 at 14:42
They need to look more at kebab shops or but I forgot inspector don't work on the evenings and weekends and they are closed in the day

Reply Posted by John on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 12:05
Yes they do work evenings.

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday April 22 2014 at 14:57
Pro body all the way I would never ever go to another tattooist I had 2 tattoos on my feet bout 2 or 3 years ago they look exactly the same not faded no infection hurt like hell but still best 140 quid my partner spent

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday April 22 2014 at 20:52
£140??? Chuff me! Don't know tattoos were that dear! Not my culpa tea,rather spend my hard earned on summer useful.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Tuesday April 22 2014 at 21:02
@anon just think you could watch BFC 5,5 home games net season. Not sure which would give you more pain.

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday April 22 2014 at 21:09
Haha yes kfc, but at least I could forget the footy,not so the tattoos.

Reply Posted by The one on Tuesday April 22 2014 at 18:18
Most of barnsley kebab shops need investigating for health an hygiene aswell but u dunt see that all over f.book

Reply Posted by The one on Tuesday April 22 2014 at 18:18

Reply Posted by Jules on Tuesday April 22 2014 at 18:58
Why not just name and shame them or put up a notice in the premises, like they have for food hygiene, giving them a rating from 1-5

Reply Posted by Me on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 03:24
What has fast food takeaways gotta do wi the inspection of a tattoo studio?? Ok (kabab shops) need and do have yearly inspections.. So should tattoo and peircing studios.. It's a must.. I'd rather spend 300 quid on a well done tattoo.. Rather than a 150 half done piece ov **** and get infected on the way... If there a good tattooist pay um there due

Reply Posted by ink'd tattoo studio on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 09:52
Pleased to say that my studio passed the inspection with flying colours ;)

Reply Posted by lauren on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 13:24
Yes 140 for 2 tattoos one on each foot n there not little there quite big there my children's names with a picture people like different thing u may think it's a waste of money I think football is a waste of money

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 13:59
you must have big feet lauren, hahahhaha

Reply Posted by Nic on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 14:16
Tattoos are for retards. Facebook Fashion fads

Reply Posted by lauren on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 14:40
There is an exception of myself of course

Reply Posted by Nic on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 16:01
Are they spelt correctly? lAuRReN

Reply Posted by lauren on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 20:04
Don't be disrespectful my kids are my world only because you don't like tattoos doesn't mean no one else has to have then

Reply Posted by Storm tattoo and piercing studio on Sunday April 27 2014 at 12:56
Pleased to say that storm passed yet again with flying colours , four years running with top marks on infection control and environmental health