Recycling Bag Scheme 'Working Well'

Friday April 11 2014

The infamous bag The infamous bag

THE new white bag recycling scheme is 'working well', according to Coun Roy Miller. Do you agree with this? Have you got to grips with yours? Have your say on our WAB Debate.

Coun Miller, cabinet spokesman for development, environment and culture, told Thursday's full council meeting that despite teething problems, the bag has been a success.

The 55-litre bag scheme, which came in on March 1, has received a tough time from readers of We Are Barnsley.

"The changes will save £700,000 per year," Coun Miller said. "That’s equivalent to around 30 jobs, and goes towards the £26 million savings we have to make over the next two years in response to government cuts."

"The new white paper recycling bags are working well."

What do you think? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Friday April 11 2014 at 11:55
Only just received my white bag (well I went to pick it up in end) so will let you know in a few months

Reply Posted by kfc on Friday April 11 2014 at 12:19
For once I will agree with Calamity Miller. The bag is brilliant for taking things to and from my allotment.

They will be brilliant for carry vegetables home etc.

I saw a gut @ Aldi doing is shopping with one last week.

Could do with some thing to put my old mail and news papers in any ides.

Reply Posted by Mick on Friday April 11 2014 at 12:31
How can he say it is going well? Since the start of March not a single one of my recycling bins / bag has been emptied on the advertised day, and people I have asked from other parts of Barnsley have said the same. The council must be paying out a fortune in weekend overtime for collections to catch up, and only time will tell if the recycling rate reduces leading to extra landfill costs.

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday April 11 2014 at 12:34
Must admit now kids have stopped messing around with the bags it's does work very well bin men put it inside my bin once they have emptied it always get emptied on time. Fantastic.

Reply Posted by Dave on Friday April 11 2014 at 12:38
Don't see how this is possible. There is still confusion about which bins are being collected on which day and some households, (Including my own) have not yet recieved their whiter bag, and when we rang to enquire about getting one, we had a right mouth ful from the person at the other end of the phone. talk about woreking well, what a bloody Shambles. Then you see the emptied bags bloqwing down the street because the buin men can't be bothered to put them inside another bin.....what a waste of bloody good money.

Reply Posted by PJ on Friday April 11 2014 at 12:43
No problems so far for us with the white bag. Since the new system has started our bins have been collected according to the new rota & white bags have been placed inside one of our bins to stop them blowing away. Our larger bins haven't cone yet, but as we can place extra recycling in bin bags until they arrive, it's not really a problem. Just hope the new system will actually save some money!!

Reply Posted by Roy on Friday April 11 2014 at 12:53
Cannot say its working that well the last two times we should have been recycled on blue bin and white bag day they came a day late . When I rang and complained council said the truck had broken down both times . conclusion invest in new trucks not waste on new bags !.

Reply Posted by aline on Friday April 11 2014 at 12:57
Working well for some maybe but not for me in Low Valley. Not had a collection in 3 weeks. White bag was not collected, grey main bin not collected and now the brown bin has been missed.

Reply Posted by jo on Friday April 11 2014 at 13:13
NOPE. utter confusion on recycling weeks as no one seems to know which bins to put out, as bin men seem to empty, sorry, NOT empty them on a eenie meenie mynie mo basis. My neighbours and myself have tried putting them all out then noting which ones don't get picked up and putting those back out next time, but they just get missed again???? I've checked the pamphlet that came, and the website, but nothing seems to tally with the Rota that the bin men use. Completely baffled. I'll end up bagging up the recycling (plastic/glass bottles and cans) and taking it to the dumpit, so I'm paying council tax for a service I'm not getting, and end up paying again when it goes up to cover the extra cost of excess rubbish at the dumpit. WASTE OF MONEY.

Reply Posted by BJT on Friday April 11 2014 at 13:50
I put my white bag out on Tuesday night ready for collection on Wednesday along with blue bin. Went to get bins on Wednesday afternoon to find white bag had gone. Ready to complain to council, but then found bag in my garden. (go figure?). This begs the question, what happens if they get stolen, they seem too easy to pinch?

Reply Posted by john on Friday April 11 2014 at 13:53
I think the council are doing a wonderful job, I also think sooty is a real bear. Please excuse the crayon as we aren't allowed anything sharp in the asylum.

Reply Posted by anon on Friday April 11 2014 at 13:56
Oh, thought you would have had a computer,what with working at the council offices.

Reply Posted by John on Friday April 11 2014 at 15:16
Just like the council. IT WAS A JOKE.

Reply Posted by fred on Friday April 11 2014 at 14:00
put my white bag out in plain sight they did not take it then phoned them they said they wound back for it but its still there waiting for them

Reply Posted by me on Friday April 11 2014 at 14:06
next doors dog keeps ******* on our bag. and my 88 yr old mother loves humping her rubbish bag down the drive. great idea. pay rise is in order councillor.

Reply Posted by Paul on Friday April 11 2014 at 15:32
It's been an absolute joke, recycling hardly ever turn up, if it rains you have to take a wet bag in, if it's not blown down the street but the council tax still going up, bunch of robbing jokers

Reply Posted by june on Friday April 11 2014 at 15:38
Who do the council think there are kidding.

working fine my backside... bag is ideal for dogs to **** on..

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday April 11 2014 at 17:27
Really don't see the problem it's worked perfectly fine up where I live like a said before at first kids messed with them chuckin newspapers all over but went to school explained to head mistress now it's all sorted and working well

Reply Posted by Kilkenny on Friday April 11 2014 at 17:50
lauren - do you carry your kids to school in the WHITE BAG?

Reply Posted by Tinkerbell on Friday April 11 2014 at 17:28
Recycling Bag Scheme ‘working well’......................

Does the esteemed Councillor think that if he says it loud enough and often enough it will summon the white bag fairies and they’ll make it come true?

Once up a time..........................................

Reply Posted by Jay on Friday April 11 2014 at 18:03
Absoulte rubbish, it might be working well because no one is using it!

Reply Posted by Kath on Friday April 11 2014 at 18:06
Working well you must be joking ..put my bag out side wedged against my blue wheelie bin on tue night last month got up next morning somebody had stolen it full of all the paper

Reply Posted by steph on Friday April 11 2014 at 18:07
Working well? Really? Do they want to ask my frail 91 yr old Gran that? When for the last month since they introduced this no-one has emptied her bag. She cannot put bins or bags out herself so binmen are supposed to go and get them. They dont even bother. She is getting sick and tired of phoning up to complain and nothing is done. So no Councillor Roy Miller its not working well.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Friday April 11 2014 at 18:14
I have to agree the white bags are working extremely well...

For the FIRST WEEK THEN IT IS FULL!

Reply Posted by moffannn on Friday April 11 2014 at 19:03
its nearly election time! the library has gone.. against public opinion!!.train passes scrapped and voted for by Labour Councillors! services cut due to the Conservative cuts to local budgets!! white bags that are proving to be a waste of money most of the overspill will go in the grey bins losing income on recycling!! Voters get out there put the cross where your gripe is!

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday April 11 2014 at 20:18
Well it must be the area that you live in because honest to god it gets emptied regularly up where I live I put it out with my blue bin and everything the bin men have emptied it and put it my blue so it don't blow away might not work in your area but it's fine in mine not heard one person complain about part from on here

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday April 11 2014 at 20:18
Every time not everything

Reply Posted by Kfc on Friday April 11 2014 at 21:25
Kilkenny stop getting personnel towards other posters and in particular there children. It's not called for and you are out do order.

As for the changes to the bin collection etc. Yes I can say from day one the council have emptied every colour bin on the days and time they said they would.

However how on earth the council expect my brown bill to last a month is another story.

My answer is to use my white bag to take all my newspapers and junk mail along with my milk cartons etc to my allotment and burn the lot in a old oil drum.

Incidentally my allotment rent via BMBC gas gone up 100% in the last 12 months. Glad to help global warming. Good old Calamity Miller and Co at the Town Hall.

Reply Posted by stace on Saturday April 12 2014 at 09:11
I have never seen as much paper litter on the streets in my life as I did when the paper bins were out. I think the size of them is fine the design is ridiculous. They allow water in then once the papers are wet they are then heavier and man handling a month's worth of damp newspapers to the end of the garden will prove a difficult task for many people. I am in favour of recycling but these bags were not thought through properly and in the long run will cost us more when council tax increases yet again in order to clean the streets of the paper litter these bags have allowed to be strewn around the streets and the re-design of the paper recycling container when they decide it needs an adequate "lid" and wheels to help the elderly/disabled actually get them to the end of the garden. As I said the design is absolutely ridiculous.

Reply Posted by shayne on Saturday April 12 2014 at 16:13
Any binmen or woman who does grove street you do a fantastic job (not always the day its supposed to be) but may not be your fault but they never leave a bin no matter if its too heavy, lid not down, too full, there is a crate of beer for you at Christmas
And no I dont work for council

Reply Posted by jon on Saturday April 12 2014 at 19:46
ha ha ha ha ha ha

Reply Posted by steven on Saturday April 12 2014 at 20:59
Hi shayne grove st where?

Reply Posted by jim on Sunday April 13 2014 at 22:09
Yeah of coarse they work because the stupid bloke that came up with the idea of a bag that's too heavy for most people especially pensioners to lift doesn't want to lose face. The council liars. Rant over

Reply Posted by trendy on Sunday April 13 2014 at 22:54
This is a joke if you yhink the new system is working mr miller then your s fool. For a start the bags sre not big enough, and the fact that the Brown bins are only getting emptied once a month is a joke as well yet the green bins once afortnight everything that is purchased these days comes in plastic, glass or tin , unless you have a large or extra large garden why the need for garden waste every fourtnight??! Should have bren left how it was

Reply Posted by me on Sunday April 13 2014 at 23:29
What happened to if it aint broke don't fix it?? It was so much better before it all got changed our bins never get emptied on the day they are suppost to! Stupid idea and I have been waiting for a large brown bin for months which would take up to '8 week' well past that now! So when its full it goes in grey bin! Absolute rubish this new rota!

Reply Posted by Steph on Monday April 14 2014 at 07:19
We had the white bags since November, it only took me 4 weeks of constant chasing to get my larger blue and larger brown bin (so im one of the lucky ones), in March we had a change in schedule that meant 4 weeks on trott grey bin was collected, but recycle collections had to go 5 weeks, 4 garden waste colections missed altogether - which idiot came up.with that! My poor older neighbour (well educated not daft) put wrong bin out for 3 weeks, most of street put every bin out just in case, on 4th week they got bin right but no show from council for 6 days for garden waste!!, recycle was day late, week 5 and again bins missed. Ive now set the link on council website to report missed collections to my favourites! The whole change in system has been mismanaged very badly. We hax one week where 2 bin lorries arrived outside my house to empty the SAME bin at the same time - complete n utter mess, not sucess i think he meant to say!

Reply Posted by ha ha on Monday April 14 2014 at 08:57
councillor miller must not recycle much paper if that bag lasts a family a.fortnight and if shredded paper is put in the bag it will be blown all over town. more expense then cleaning up rubbish.

Reply Posted by rubbish on Monday April 14 2014 at 09:06
what a load of crap the bags are useless + it means we have to now put cardboard into smaller blue bins and only have them emptied once a month instead of every 2 week? when they where full before. maybe he should have said his pockets are now getting fuller too.

Reply Posted by stacey on Monday April 14 2014 at 09:19
Myself and others I know have not bothered to recycle any paper since this started. How are the elderly meant to drag this out for collection then chase it up the street when wind blows it away. Can't be bothered with paper blowing around my garden. Since it changed our bins have rarely been collected on the right day. Lots of overtime being paid there then. Our brown bin went 8 weeks at one point without being emptied. Luckly I live near a refuse site and keep making trips down there dumping everything in the general waste skip. Waste of money!! Why fix something that didn't need fixing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by Mrs J on Monday April 14 2014 at 10:58
Our collections have so far been as stated on leaflet. Much preferred the old system. White bag gets emptied and thrown on floor by bin, thought they were meant to put it back in bin!

Reply Posted by Mike Lee on Monday April 14 2014 at 11:55
Put my white bag out 3rd April for the advised collection on Friday and guess what - yes you've guessed it(as with my neighbour's bag). Emailed the wastemanagement team - got an autoreply saying that someone is looking into it(what the empty bags or bins??) and here we are - Monday the 14th with STILL no reply! BTW I took the 2 bags myself to the dumpit - Is this what you call good service Mr Miller - we know how good your control is with the debacle at the Burton Road new road which cost £Xmillions of our money and which you no doubt have great pride in! Please endorse his claim to be Sir Roy Miller

Reply Posted by lauren on Monday April 14 2014 at 15:14
Don't understand why your lot has not been emptied properlyor on time in my area it's been perfect

Reply Posted by Sceptical one on Monday April 14 2014 at 20:02

'Working well' - what a joke...............

Reply Posted by Bungle on Friday April 18 2014 at 03:33
White sack working perfect for us it get emptied every time the grey bin gets emptied I just tip the contents of the white sack into the grey bin on grey bin day. Bin day now that's another story bin day seems to be any day other than the day the leaflet says. **** up and brewery spring to mind soon as the council is mentioned.

Reply Posted by giykg on Thursday April 24 2014 at 15:11
hahahahahahahahahahahahahah

bungle you have a verry good system going on i doo the same