Young People No Longer Sent To The Forge Complex

Thursday April 17 2014

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

YOUNG people will no longer be sent to a homeless complex in Barnsley - because the council feels they would be better placed elsewhere.

The Forge, on Smithies Lane, houses and supports young single people aged 16 to 24 assessed as being homeless and in priority need by Barnsley Council.

The building, staffed 24 hours a day, is run by South Yorkshire Housing Association and has seven bedsits and ten self-contained flats.

Jean Imray, the interim assistant executive director of safeguarding, health and social care for the council's children, young people and families department, said it was 'not ideal' to place 16 and 17-year-olds there because of adults in the complex.

"The Forge is somewhere we have had some recent involvement with and we've had concerns some young people being directed there were a little too young," she added.

"We have recently made the decision that we are not going to use the Forge any longer for these young people."

It follows a Forge staff member raising concerns in December about the vulnerability of young people living at the complex, claiming they were 'easy targets' for drug pushers and undesirables looking for sex.

Reply Posted by Hmmm ? on Thursday April 17 2014 at 18:43
Hmm >? so where WILL they go then ?

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday April 18 2014 at 10:08
I lived there for about four months before they found my own flat back up in mapp. I felt safe and very well looked after. They had struck time to be in by met with a punishment if I didn't come in on time which was normally time taken off me goin out the next day

Reply Posted by Kfc on Sunday April 20 2014 at 17:07
Any services that protect especially young vulnerable people should be a priority for any decent council that represents this issue.

Sadly it's all about costs and young people are just like our elderly people with cuts cuts cuts.

These two groups of people should be ring fenced against cuts. Reason 1 the older people have paid there taxes and worked to make the Rich Tories Richer and Richer.

Reason 2 young people are tomorrow's future. If we don't look after the two groups the cost will be more costly than just money alone.

You see it now every day.

Reply Posted by lauren on Monday April 21 2014 at 10:42
Forgot to say they provided breakfast and tea only thing you have to do is get your own dinner and if you you older n lived in the flats attached to the side of the forge complex every week they dropped off a week's supply of food they we really good n provided a great help to me and my unborn baby at the time

Reply Posted by Paula on Monday April 21 2014 at 19:48
Lauren it sounds like you did well for yourself and made the most of the help and opportunity the placement gave you, well done. Unfortunately some young people will just see it as a doss house with no rules to keep to

Reply Posted by smurf on Monday April 21 2014 at 19:57
my step son lived there for over a year, all he seemed to do was smoke weed, i saw the inside of his what could of been a nice flat, it was filthy, his then girlfriend who he met there also had a flat, he got her pregnant and they rehoused them both.....the child lives with me as both parents couldnt cope. i think there are rules but the older ones know how to get round them.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Monday April 21 2014 at 20:53
The more I read about Lauren the more we can all appreciate these services for young and vulnerable people.

Lauren you all about whats wrong and what a individual can achieve with determination and graft. Your partner and children will be very proud of you in your journey through life. God bless you all.

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday April 22 2014 at 14:38
I was a naughty teen at times but I soon realised I hadto grow up for my babys sake I have made some terrible mistakes but I can hold my head high with the thanks of my partner and my sister and her husband too for helping me get myself sorted but all these kids need is support n encouragement that they are worthless or useless they can change they can go to college n turn there lives around and even go on to help teens like themselves but kids now day just don't have the motivation or have hunger for success earning a honest living providing for there family.

Thanks @kfc people do abuse these services that provide help for youngster but if these services are not provided these kids will end up in nick just for a bed or worse end up ending there own lives as they feel there life is not worth living all they need is support.

@smurf lots of respect to you as you have done one thing many people would do and that is standing up for their grandchild and providing stability.

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday April 22 2014 at 14:42
@paula thanks to you aswell, I have done well for myself, partner and children but I can't take all the credit as I said above with the help from my partner,sister and her husband I would most likely to be in a ditch dead some where if it wasn't for them and also I found out I was pregnant aswell

Reply Posted by Joe on Saturday January 16 2016 at 15:39
Young people are offered fantastic help in the forge. Our son has been staying there for the past two months. We love him dearly but we also live in constant fear for his safety. It is down to the individual to grasp the nettle and take that precious helps which they are offered. At the moment he chooses to not contact us or return our calls or texts. We have now sat totally broken hearted by his bed in intensive care on two occasions. This is down to his combined alcohol and recreational drugs misuse.
After many years of patience and heartbreak we now totally powerless to help him as it has to come from within himself.
We realise somewhere within he loves us but he so badly needs to love and respect himself. At this point in time he is playing Russian roulette with his life.
We so want our beautiful son to succeed.