School Gets Damning Report From Ofsted

Tuesday April 22 2014

Ofsted Ofsted

A BARNSLEY school has gone into special measures after Ofsted inspectors found standards to be below par in numerous areas.

The education watchdog said that when pupils left year six at Elsecar Holy Trinity, their attainment in reading and maths was well behind their peers nationally.

Disruption to staffing meant quality of teaching was inadequate, the new headteacher was shared between two schools for two-and-a-half days a week and high staff turnover over the last three years had 'hampered pupils' achievement'.

The school needed to improve teaching, raise pupils' attainment and 'urgently improve the quality of leadership and management'.

Executive headteacher Nicola Jenkinson said the school going into special measures, Ofsted's worst category of failing school, was 'clearly disappointing'.

Reply Posted by bob on Tuesday April 22 2014 at 15:52
Kirk Ball next

Reply Posted by Anon on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 00:20
They want to target for bullying related instances too.
An even bigger joke is the reports for this particular school. We had a questionnaire sent to us which we were advised that we could do online, which we did and very damning it was too because the school in question is THAT bad.
Guess what, we had a letter saying that online responses could not be included as the wasnt enough submitted. Buuuuullllll****.
As report is a report and ALL submissions should be included end of!

Reply Posted by oly on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 00:21
If kids dont want t listen and learn they wont cos i. Didn.t but wish i cud go bk t school tomoz and do it all agen.?

Reply Posted by True Story on Sunday April 27 2014 at 23:43
From how you wrote your comment Oly, I think it would be a good idea for you to go back to school. I'd recommend starting in Class 1 to get the basics right.

Reply Posted by unknown on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 08:48
Sometimes it's nothing to do with the kids the teachers are just as bad because they can't be bothered to teach them. It's always been the same even when i was in school 9 years ago and my nephew has the same problem falling behind because teachers are only half bothered to teach or not at all.

Reply Posted by john on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 10:50
this was a brill school when i was there 10 yrs ago

Reply Posted by Anne Wilkinson on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 13:18
I daresay I was behind my peers nationwide when I was at Church Street in the 1960s but it gave me a love of learning which has stayed with me all my life. It was a wonderful school. Academically we were always behind the other schools but it didn't hold me back, it provided a perfect foundation on which to build at university and in my later career. Now I teach in a Country which has never heard of OFSTED and seems to manage very well.

Reply Posted by daniel siddall on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 15:03
thats the worst school ever i should kno since its my primary school miss crawford got me exlcluded for every thing she could even tho most of the time i didnt do anything

Reply Posted by Mick on Thursday April 24 2014 at 14:24
"... most of the time ..." so in your view, some of the time you were rightly excluded.

Reply Posted by 4Ft11andshrinking on Wednesday April 23 2014 at 19:20
Education is now full of pressure for the children and the staff, heaven help them all!

Reply Posted by Oliver on Sunday April 27 2014 at 19:14
All this started to go wrong when they gave children rights. Back in my day you did as you were told or you were caned. These days parents are only too willing to jump to the defence of their child if a teacher even touches them instead of understanding we're lucky enough to live in a country that provides a free education by teachers on a low income and long hours.

Reply Posted by dani on Sunday April 27 2014 at 19:14
Pore school nothing ever done for bullying. Prime reason we moved the kids.

Reply Posted by Bev on Sunday April 27 2014 at 20:46
Oliver - I agree with your comment. Teachers deserve a medal in today's world, same as you say bring back the cane, that will sort them out.

Reply Posted by ally on Sunday April 27 2014 at 21:00
I feel sorry for teachers today. THEY are not allowed to punish pupils. I do not mean in a cruel way. But there are various methods that can be applied with some thought. Like staying after class, doing repeated lines of words about their behaviour. Cleaning classroom, blackboards etc. Teachers work long hours and some get frustrated because they are held back. Schools need stability with permanent teachers not different ones every few months or even weeks.

Reply Posted by kev on Sunday April 27 2014 at 23:10
I have a question for Ofsted.
Who inspects or monitors you?
Why do I ask? Well in the twenty or so years they have been visiting the educational establishments around the country laying down standards and best practice in order to achieve outstanding results, educational standards, and the learning of our children as plummeted. They hid it for years by watering down the examination results. Who can remember when you used to have to work bloody hard to get to Uni, now they'll take the money of anyone with a cheaue book, and there lies the problem...money! Or rather the lack of it, have you ever heard of a private school going into special measures.

Reply Posted by Jayne on Monday April 28 2014 at 23:37
Heard that another school is already working with Elsecar to help turn things around and at a meeting they had with parents were very confident Elsecar can be a great school.