Mum Urges Internet Vigilance To Parents

Monday April 14 2014

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

A BARNSLEY mum has issued a warning to other parents after her young daughter was allegedly asked to meet up by an adult posing as a child on a popular website.

Movie Star Planet, which has been labelled 'dangerous' by concerned parents around the country, describes its service as a 'safe, creative and social online playground for children'.

Ruth Zoldan, 32, has urged parents to be more alert to the dangers of innocent-looking online game sites having discovered that her young daughter was approached by someone to meet up.

"My daughter got a message from someone who appeared to be a child to meet up, so obviously the alarm bells started to ring. It is so easy for people to sign up to and they are then free to join in on the chat rooms.

"I have asked work colleagues about the site and they have stopped their kids using the website due to experiencing similar incidents. Other parents need to be made aware of this site before something bad happens."

A council spokesman said: "Parents and guardians must take responsibility for monitoring closely their child or children's activity on the internet, including their use of social media sites, and intervene where necessary.

"Where there is suspicion of an adult posing as a young person, this should be reported immediately to the police for investigation."

Reply Posted by Worried on Monday April 14 2014 at 12:55
I had the same with my eldest daughter, this was through facebook and the stuff the person was asking my daughter was disgusting. The incident is now in the hands of the police.

Reply Posted by Parent on Wednesday April 16 2014 at 19:20
why was your child's privacy settings not regulated. Also why was this person not blocked on the first message?

Reply Posted by concerned on Monday April 14 2014 at 16:41
My couision was in exactly the same situation now social services and police r involved

Reply Posted by Don on Monday April 14 2014 at 18:16
This is more common than you think.

Reply Posted by Mummyl of 2 on Tuesday April 15 2014 at 10:24
I am always vigilant of my daughters activities online however, they can become wise to this! I have sat numerous times and explained the dangers of this and how people who say they are kids sometimes arent and never to trust anyone online etc etc. Perhaps they should reinforce this in schools aswell. Its sick - they should be traced back and the weirdos prosecuted!

Reply Posted by deary me on Tuesday April 15 2014 at 11:43
Easy way to solve it, just don't let your kids go on a social networking site. My lids got phones ipads etc... They know their not aloud until.I day so

Reply Posted by allan machen on Wednesday April 16 2014 at 19:19
so y not name n shame the pedos or meet them asnd have a word in there eares

Reply Posted by Mother of 2 on Wednesday April 16 2014 at 19:24
I have 2 children and not allowing them on social networking sites is not the answer. In this day and age where we live through computers, it is important to teach children from a young age about stranger danger. Actually show them how easy profiles are to make and most importantly show them how to control their privacy settings. If you don't allow them access at all, they will always have a friend willing to make them an account and allow them to access it from their device. Burying your head in the sand and wrapping your child in cotton wool does not stop things happing. You will also discourage your child from telling you if something did happen.

Reply Posted by mrs brighside cleaning on Wednesday April 16 2014 at 19:40
The one that really worries me is BBM and phone apps that are difficult to control.I know this may seem OTT but my kids are only allowed phones, email and other social media such as facebook on the understanding that until they are 16, that I have full access to all their activities. Also you can restrict the content on these sites. No way should a child be on their own in a bedroom with unrestricted access. There are too many dangerous people out there with a hidden agenda, trying to harm our kids. Be vigilant all.

Reply Posted by jo on Wednesday April 16 2014 at 20:58
There is also an app available that is marketed at children, similar to talking Tom, where the character copies what the kids say, but this one activates the camera if your device has one, and asks kids personal questions.

Reply Posted by Pollypopkins Uk Msp on Tuesday April 29 2014 at 23:01
Yes my friend at school said when u clikc it her camera lights up and a man apears in the corner ._. Pedos should be LOCKED UP!!

Reply Posted by Mum on Wednesday April 16 2014 at 21:01
Sites that are aimed at younger children that include chat rooms eg bin weivels, the site named in the story should be banned they are aimed at a younger audience. But are a mine field for the sick scum that walk this planet!!