High Radiation Levels From Barnsley's Sunbeds

Thursday April 3 2014

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

A MASSIVE 83 per cent of the town's sunbeds were found to be over the legal radiation limit.

Officers from the council's regulatory services visited all known sunbed businesses within the borough and found one in ten sunbeds were at least four times over the legal limit.

Perhaps more worryingly their users and supervisors didn't fully understand the potential risks to health associated with using sunbeds without adequate protection.

Officers warned businesses that any further non-compliance may result in appropriate enforcement action being taken.

Sharon Stoltz, acting director of Public Health for Barnsley, said: "The high levels of radiation measured during this survey create a real risk of a future increase in skin cancer cases in the Barnsley area."

What do you think to this? Will this news stop you from using sunbeds? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by Joanne Wingate on Thursday April 3 2014 at 11:06
Stupid irresponsible business owners again wanting to make a fast buck....

Reply Posted by Richard on Thursday April 3 2014 at 12:59
Do people really need telling that laying under a radiation lamp to change their skin colour isn't actually going to do them any good especially over prolonged periods? Evidently they do.

If they get skin cancer it's hardly the sole fault of the business owner, as it's not exactly news that these contraptions can cause cancer, yet folk seem too dumb and do it anyway.

Reply Posted by lou on Thursday April 3 2014 at 14:29
I for one can vouch for the danger of sunbeds having been diagnosed last year with skin cancer ... stay off the beds and fake bake

Reply Posted by glyn watson on Thursday April 3 2014 at 17:34
Its like saying its a shops fault that someone gets lung cancer for selling them cigs we all know the risks but still choose to do it!!

Reply Posted by jan on Friday April 4 2014 at 01:58
well if folks would rather use a sunbed for vanity, wait till ur trying to cover up having no hair when you need chemotherapy. beauty is pure, not fake

Reply Posted by Fred on Saturday April 5 2014 at 23:32
@ Joanne wingate

''Stupid irresponsible" can only be applied to the muppets that use them, not the business owner. I suspect that you also blame your local chippy for you being fat !!!!

Reply Posted by Rubydoo on Sunday April 6 2014 at 16:57
A colleague of mine is 50 years old she looks in her 70s, her skin is so tanned and wrinkly. Think Madge off Benidorm. She used to use sun beds 3 x a week 15 mins a time has recently reduced to once a week for 15 mins. Has been doing this for decades, regrets it now and says the damage is done so isn't packing in altogether.
If young girls could see her they wouldn't go near a sunbed again, she says this herself.................don't start!

Reply Posted by mad, bad & dangerous to know on Monday April 7 2014 at 08:55
Just SHUT DOWN the offenders

Reply Posted by Annon on Monday April 7 2014 at 09:38
Its not a legal requirement as yet and only barnsley have tested Rotherham & Sheffield haven't as yet
The legislation isn't yet in place and it's only a recent change in legislation and advisory
The chronicle need to get facts right once again
How can business owners be to blame if
1 it's not a legal requirement yet
2 goal posts changed again

Very easy to judge and always by people who lack understanding

Reply Posted by lucy lou on Monday April 7 2014 at 16:20
I go to sunbeds all time, it's my choice to do so and I am aware of the side effects of using sunbeds and it's a risk I take, rather look sun kissed than a milk bottle

Reply Posted by unlucky lucy lou on Monday April 7 2014 at 16:37
you wont look sun kissed dead. fool

Reply Posted by anon on Monday April 7 2014 at 17:01
lucy lou,I would make you pay for any medical treatment cuased by sunbeds that you will need in the future. That would knock the smuggness outa you.

Reply Posted by lucy lou on Tuesday April 8 2014 at 10:42
And what business is it of yours how n what I do in my life I work my backside off and I do pay for my medical treatments nothing to do with your lot it's like do you go around telling fowk to stop smoking drinking Havin unprotected sex not washing hand after goin to toilet not to take drugs nothing to do with anyone what I do not like am on benefits n wasting money I earn my money so I have the right to spend it on what I want so stop being a busy body n go meddle in some one else's life so one who actually needs it cos ur just wasting your time moaning at me

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday April 8 2014 at 15:36
Sun beds are bad for your health lucy lou. Knowing this, using them defies logic. It seems silly to gamble with skin cancer just to look brown? It is the users choice yes,but it pride comes before a fall. In your mind you have justified yourself,if youre willing to gamble with your life in the name of vanity,then good luck.

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday April 8 2014 at 17:15
It's my life not no one else's why bother badgering me when it's not your place to like you said yourself it my choice so whether I choose to go on sunbeds or I choose to wear fake tan or whether I go on holidays three or four times a year to get a sun tan it's nothing to do with any one I'm single I have no parents I have no kids or any other family so if I get skin cancer n die then that's on me I'm not hurting any one I'm not affecting anyone's live

Reply Posted by lucy lou on Tuesday April 8 2014 at 17:34
Don't know why it's put my name as Lauren my name is Lucy Lou crazy phone

Reply Posted by lucy lou on Tuesday April 8 2014 at 20:00
N another thing people smoke and they know the risks of smoking, people drive cars and know the risk of driving a car, motorbike, going on train buses good god the list could go on forever it doesn't defy logic at the end of the day there's a risk of you walking out your front door walking to shop n get knocked over but you can't go around livin your life wrapped up in cotton wool ad rather live my life to the fullest be happy n look good if that's me Been vain or whatever then am vain n it's tough I look good I feel good n I have no complaint on how I look so can't be doin a bad job on myself eh

Reply Posted by lucy lou on Tuesday April 8 2014 at 20:59
Roasting my skin, I go on twice a week for 15mins, not like am goin on it everyday for an hour, get off your high horse n pipe darn n go meddle in some one else life n you've not got much to say about the other dangers in life I have mentioned as tha no because am reyt n don't u just know it

Reply Posted by lucy lou on Tuesday April 8 2014 at 21:33
My point is it's got nothing to do with you or anyone else that's the thing you don't get am not bothered it's my life not yours I am not hurting you or anyone else like I say if I die then that's on me I'm a fully grown woman not a ten year old little kid am not the one who's started on me cos I go on sunbeds like I said before when u see some one smoking go up to them and preach to them try and make a difference in their life cos no matter what any one say al stool go on the sunbeds n Kilkenny I choose to be single because ov the job I have

Reply Posted by lucy lou on Tuesday April 8 2014 at 21:54
Am fine, thank u for the concern tho

Reply Posted by Nic on Tuesday April 8 2014 at 22:07
At what price your vanity? Orange idiots, conceited fools. Darwin's theory in practice!

Reply Posted by lucy lou on Tuesday April 8 2014 at 22:23
A hooker! Lmfao! I wish! They earn some reyt coin, just to lay on your back. I work in a mortuary, let's get ready for all the insults on me working in a mortuary n goin on sunbeds but when you have the job I have goin on sunbeds just takes my mind off things. Orange that's fake tan Muppet, sunbeds Is a natural brown do your research before trying to insult me on been orange fool!

Reply Posted by Nic on Tuesday April 8 2014 at 22:28
Chestnut Chimp then? Lay off it lass, I'm sure you're pretty enough without it. Don't end up on a cold slab yourself.

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday April 8 2014 at 22:33
I don't even go on it that much 15mins twice a week is nothing compared some others that go there everyday for 15-20mins it's just something I do to escape twice a week not all day every day I don't drink smoke just go on a sunbed nothing major about it

Reply Posted by lucy lou on Thursday April 10 2014 at 14:08
I have just been to the sunbeds today n asked about this radiation nonsense n at the moment most sunbed shops have it at 2.3 to 2.4 there going to knock it down to 0.3 that means I would have to go on the sunbeds for Upto a hour for the same results as 15 mins which to be honest I would rather have 15 mins of radiation than Upto a hour there going to loose all their costumers n the sunbeds are all goin to end up closing ridiculous think am going to buy my own sunbed

Reply Posted by anon on Thursday April 10 2014 at 14:22
Lucy lou,glad you did take on board all opf the negative comments regarding sunbeds and you have made enquiries. BUT, the salons are knocking down the radiation levels, so what does that tell you? Stay away? No, buy your own sunbed and disregard the info and warnings given. Flipping heck,have another think about it.

Reply Posted by lucy lou on Thursday April 10 2014 at 16:47
They have no choice in reducing the radiation levels starting from the 15th may it will be against the law to have high radiation levelled sunbeds so even if I do buy one the radiation will be low well I presume they will be low