Town Centre's Redevelopment Shows Progress

Thursday April 3 2014

THE town centre's outdoor market will be moved into the shopping precinct as Barnsley's highly anticipated redevelopment starts to take shape.

Barnsley Council has announced there will be a consultation period, saying that they are keen to make sure the needs of local people and businesses are met.

Following January's announcement that £41 million is to be invested in the town centre's regeneration scheme, planning work is already gaining momentum.

Information on the project will be released as it becomes available, with a full, detailed prospectus available in July.

The first change to be made will be the relocation of the market, to allow for the safe demolition of central offices and potential strengthening works to the outdoor market area to create a proposed town centre square.

The move, which will mean all open market traders can keep trading throughout the town centre development, will see new stalls being built in late summer, with the traders moving in November ready for the busy Christmas trading period.

The temporary open market will be made up of 40 fixed stalls along Cheapside, May Day Green, Queen Street and Peel Square.

Coun Roy Miller, cabinet spokesperson for development, environment and culture, said: "This is very exciting for Barnsley. We've been waiting for this for a long time, and now we're making it happen."

Reply Posted by fubar on Thursday April 3 2014 at 13:02
Its about time! Barnsley centre died years ago and if they don't do anything as regards free parking as it is at Meadowhell or Corton wood then it'll be another waste of money. Half the market trader's have given up and footfall is pathetic at best. I used to enjoy a walk around town but in the last 5 years have probably only been a handful of times, I bet there's a few thousand more that have given up. All we can do is hope for the best and the rejuvenation doesn't end up to be an expensive white elephant.

Reply Posted by zoey boast on Thursday April 3 2014 at 13:15
This has got to be a step in the right direction ???
We need to invest the markets have allways been the folkel point of the town for generations it used to attract visitors from all around yorkshire but sadly times are changing and markets are dying out our children now will be the next generation of consumers so surely it makes sense to get more big brand names to come to our town when the rebuild starts.

Reply Posted by ray on Thursday April 3 2014 at 13:24
12 million spent so far on the non redevelopment and surprise surprise we get another consultation

Reply Posted by blue sky on Thursday April 3 2014 at 13:59
41 mill for a rotting unwanted town centre full of druggies and the unemployable? Really?

Can we not soend it on the surrounding villages instead? They need it especially the schools, roads and toilets!

Reply Posted by anon on Thursday April 3 2014 at 14:04
A little bit out of order blue sky saying barnsley is full of druggies n unemployable! Whats the point in spending it on schools for the kids to grow up in a town without any jobs. Spending money on the town centre will create jobs in the future

Reply Posted by truethough on Saturday April 5 2014 at 13:59
It's true though, Barnsley has been declining rapidly over the last few decades and the town centre is just a housing ground for drug addicts and people with no qualifications. Most people with a future leave for university and never return, its a shithole.

Reply Posted by Not you on Thursday April 3 2014 at 14:37
I agree with anon. Well out of order blue. Unless of course you see yourself as an unemployable drug addict :) the point is something is finally being done to help the town. Get some positivity in you!!!

Reply Posted by Jonathan Meades on Thursday April 3 2014 at 14:57
And so the town gets re-wound 45 years...

Reply Posted by wake up its 2014 on Thursday April 3 2014 at 15:02
look at Wakefield they know markets are dead, In the last 50 years markets were useful, they were cheaper than shops because of lower overheads and they passed the savings onto the customer but today the multi-nationals stores buy in cheaper than anyone can. There is no place for markets in a modern world they will die off unless they become a novelty. Why would anyone drive to town struggle to park and then walk through the rain to pay more for something from a market stall rather than go park out of town and go into a superstore and get everything

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday April 3 2014 at 22:07
Sad to say I agree.

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Saturday April 5 2014 at 23:38
talking about parking lets sort the blue badge abuse out and youll get all the parking you want.the supermarket will disappear to as online shopping will dominate it all from holidays to clothes to food and toileteries aqnything you want will be available from your armchair.

Reply Posted by tracy on Thursday April 3 2014 at 17:28
People like blue sky really wind me up..Why shouldnt Barnsley get redeveloped? Our town used to be excellent for shopping n at one time i wouldnt dream of going anywhere else n despise shopping centres. Druggies and the.unemployable exist everywhere its just less obvious because other places obviously look better than our run down old town. If you dont like it, why dont you move? Its people like you n your negativity that bring the town even further down. Well done i say, cant wait to see changes.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Friday April 4 2014 at 09:48
I slightly agree with Blue Sky, Whats the point of spending £41 million on a new town centre if the shouty alchos and smackrats pestering for "busfare" are still allowed to run amok accosting shoppers?

There needs to be a bigger police presence in town to move on said shouty alchos and smackrats, they have powers to give people "move out of town" orders and make the town a better place for people to shop.
Someone mentioned Wakefield, in all the times i have been into wakey I don't ever think I have come across any shoty alchos or smackrats whilst I have visited and there are always police patrolling.

Reply Posted by anon on Friday April 4 2014 at 16:33
Totally agree, you have to have eyes in the back of your head when you go into town. People need to feel safe and confident in their own town.

More of a police presence the town centre is definitely needed

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Saturday April 5 2014 at 23:42
dear steveo love to read your long winded comments on wab but tonight you have sunk in my estimations with some of your comments about your fellow citizens in barnsley.remember the saying but for the grace of god go i

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Sunday April 6 2014 at 19:30
Everyone is entitled to their opinion Guy and I speak from the hip and heart and tis unfortunately the truth.
I USED to LOVE going into town, but it doesn't have anything that will "draw me in" now, there's only one shop I ever go in and that's my mates trainer shop up the arcade.
Tis a shame what the town centre has become and I sincerely hope the "new town centre" is a success.

Reply Posted by blue sky on Sunday April 6 2014 at 20:14
@ tracy
actually it is the whining people like yourself who lives in cloud cuckoo land and in the past that are the problem.
If you keep telling everyone like me, with a brain and common sense, to move then who will pay any council tax? YOU? I doubt it love....

Reply Posted by Me on Thursday April 3 2014 at 17:32
Too little too late

Reply Posted by Brian on Friday April 4 2014 at 17:59
Don't forget that the original proposals for the town centre redevelopment were estimated to cost circa £200m. The current proposals are to spend something in the order of £40m to include a library at approx. £4m I feel that when completed we shall all feel disappointed with what has been provided as it is unlikely there will be any department stores or many high profile retailers to visit. I feel it will be another Labour fiasco. Prepare for the worst and anything better will be a bonus. It's sad really.

Reply Posted by True Blue on Friday April 4 2014 at 18:47
It doesn't help matters when Chennels is packed with alcos drinking pints at 10.30 in the morning. Barnsley town centre is sadly a dump. Who are to blame? BMBC!

Wake up Barnsley, Roy Miller & Steve Houghton are having a laugh at you expense!

Reply Posted by ian on Friday April 4 2014 at 20:44
What do you suggest MR TRUE BLUE let them drink in the street. you fool.

Reply Posted by True Blue on Friday April 4 2014 at 21:05
Oh dear Ian. I was making the point of people drinking at half past ten in the morning. How do they get out of the pub? Teleport?

Ian you are a silly little boy. Please don't delete his post WAB, I want the people of Barnsley to see why Barnsley is a laughing stock. When we have the likes of this poor soul, you know why.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Friday April 4 2014 at 21:09
10.30 that's a bit late. In Wombwell you can get a pint at The Butchers from 7am buy your paper at the newsagent straight across the road. And a bacon Butty from Potts.

And probably the cheapest pub in Barnsley.

Reply Posted by Lets Laugh @ Ian on Friday April 4 2014 at 21:12
Ian thinks they stay in the pub and never venture out. You're such a tool Ian.

let's help Ian a little shall we.

They might walk through town to get home love. If they have had a few too many, they might become a bit rowdy.

Poor Ian........

Reply Posted by Kath on Friday April 4 2014 at 21:22
Ian - You have a good valid point.

true blue - lets close all the pubs down incase anybody gets rowdy walking through the town.

What complete idiots. the town is a dump and without pubs/bookies/charity shops the town would become a scene from a war zone..

so all laugh at the idiots comments...

Reply Posted by gary oldham on Friday April 4 2014 at 21:26
Here here Kath@ The silkstone opens at 8am and people are boozing when I walk past at 9am, this is happening in every town.

Reply Posted by paddy on Friday April 4 2014 at 21:30
What is wrong with some of you guys. Do we close all pubs in town to stop any drunks causing trouble?

do we close all bookies incase of violence from a poor loser.

close all charity shops incase of a fight erupting over somebody getting a better bargain then you.

Reply Posted by sue on Friday April 4 2014 at 21:38
My god! Hope that's not true Gaza.

Reply Posted by True Blue on Saturday April 5 2014 at 06:31
Everyone is still missing the point. I would have thought these people who are sat in the pub at 10.30 should be at work.

Oh dear Kath, paddy and gary. Wait a minute,it's probably some of you lot sat in there while people are hard at work.

The comedy club are out in force!!!!! We're still laughing.

Reply Posted by Double standards on Saturday April 5 2014 at 06:45
You will now get people defending them saying " it's up to them what they do with their time". Fair enough, but aren't people on benefits supposed to be struggling? You know... finding it hard to pay the so called *Bedroom Tax* ? It is the same people, one of them I even know.

See you soon my little chums!!

Reply Posted by BMBC on Saturday April 5 2014 at 06:58
Says a lot about Barnsley then dear. You paint a wonderful picture of the town, BMBC shouldn't have a problem attracting visitors to the town.

Do you fancy a job? You sound like you have the right attitude for the job.

Reply Posted by BMBC on Saturday April 5 2014 at 06:59
That is a question to Kath btw.

Reply Posted by Fred on Saturday April 5 2014 at 08:05
Right, what have I missed - Ahhh the Silkstone. Is this where the unemployed pub crawl starts? Next stop Chennels, correct? The same ole folk sitting in the pubs downing pints on a day of work, lovely.

On a rare visit to the town centre last saturday I saw a bunch of what I can only describe as "spaced out zombies" led by Mr socialist worker himself Terry "Nutjob" Nuttall begging for signatures for the "Say no to the bedroom tax" campaign. Nice to see they have got rid of the begging bucket or did I miss that?

Did the proceeds go towards their fish & chips and GREGGS fund? Everytime I see them they are eating one or the other.

Reply Posted by Jimmy on Saturday April 5 2014 at 09:32
Fred You have not missed anything you nosey git, Go and pay a visit to the Silkstone and see for yourself , I will be happy to explain to you how my beer is funded by the tax payer. thankyou everyone the 1st pint is going down a treat.

Reply Posted by tim on Saturday April 5 2014 at 09:42
Will the town hall museum have a Charity shop, Pub, takeaway and bookies area in say 30 years time showing what Barnsley was really like? Loooooooooool.

Reply Posted by Fred on Saturday April 5 2014 at 09:54
Hello Jimmy.

You and whose army? Don't forget your keboard son, you will need it chump, I eat deadbeats like you for breakfast. You have let the world know you haven't got anything else better to do than sit in a pub on a saturday morning.

Don't choke on your pint kid.

Next!!!!

Reply Posted by Fred on Saturday April 5 2014 at 09:59
Good point Tim. They should stuff Jimmy when he passes away and shove him in there.

I can see it now. He will be known as *The deadbeat with no teeth*

I have the rights on that one BMBC.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Saturday April 5 2014 at 13:28
Looks like it has been fun and games whilst I've been away!

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday April 5 2014 at 13:38
Not sure about that Steveo. The best debate about the bedroom tax was deleted! No idea why. It made good reading.

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Saturday April 5 2014 at 23:46
the goverment altered the licensing hours not barnsley council.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Sunday April 6 2014 at 19:32
I know exactly why... I'll tell you sometime ;)

Reply Posted by Kfc on Friday April 4 2014 at 20:56
I genuinely want to get behind this redevelopment and look to the future for Barnsley people and local business.

However how can you with Sir Houghton and every time I read Coun Miller name my heart sinks.

On another note clean the streets from the Smack Rats and scroungers then people may feel safe when going into town.

It's a serous issue but BMBC and the police turn a blind eye. It may be the authorities are happy to see the vermin in one nest so the can monitor them on CCTV.

Reply Posted by Tom on Saturday April 5 2014 at 03:29
Sheffield has spent money on a new market, that is smaller than the old one, the rents are higher. Their new market is a shambles and is already failing. Barnsley market as it is now, is far superior.

I'm a young person that uses the market and Barnsley market is a good market, it could be better, but it could be worse. Let's make it better. Cheaper rent = cheaper goods = more customers = market.
I want more people able to trade and make a profit, more people to use the market, and for there to be more bargains. An extension to the outdoor market, by using land where CEAG building stood would be cheap to enact and would cement our reputation as a market town, rents could be very cheap and many people could start their own businesses.
The common man, needs to be able to compete, and he cannot do so with high rents, you could start a clothes stall on the market and perhaps get by, but you have to compete with internet fashion retailers who have many advantages and lower overheads per unit stock sold.

Whilst there are alcoholics and other drug addicts in the town, most aren't problematic, these people are often down on their luck and struggling to deal with problems, a common one round here being unemployment, with many being affected by the epidemic of unemployment that began in the 80s, some sadly dropping out of the labour market completely.

There are some problematic ones though. And these people need to be dealt with. In the past week, the same young lad who regularly shoplifts, always with tin in hand has attempted to beg from me for; 35p, 40p, a roll up, a mere drag of a roll up, £1 for a beer, anything out of my shopping bag, even a mere swig of a can of pop. I gave him only the last drag of one roll up out of sheer pity.

It's sad to see a young man who probably could be a decent person, be a pathetic human being, readily accepting of charity and actively begging all day long. I have felt like hitting him out of frustration when having a bad day, but I do feel sorry for the poor sod and have so far managed to avoid doing so.

What can be done with people like that? Surely there is something that can be done to turn his life around, so he can contribute something to the community. Jailing him wouldn't solve the problem, and it would cost the public a fortune. In Amsterdam, they employ people to collect rubbish and pay them in beer. It could be seen as exploitation, but it could also be seen as a way of giving people an opportunity to improve their lot, maybe it is something we will have to consider. I can't for the life of me see a better way of making life better for the individual concerned and the wider public.

These people are found everywhere, it isn't a problem specific to Barnsley. But maybe we can deal with the problem in a somewhat productive manner. And most people who turn to drink/drugs aren't that bad, they just have problems they are struggling to deal with. Only a few drink/drug users, steal, beg, be anti-social.

Reply Posted by sid on Monday April 7 2014 at 11:50
Dear god,paying litter pickers in beer @Tom? That sounds pretty crazy to me. I bet the staff at Barnsley Gen would love that. Who wants them wobbling around whilst out and about? I cant think of anything much worse mate. Also by giving them beer how would this help them? Pay them in food?..that may be an idea,yes they are part of society,but god, to pay them in beer? No!

Reply Posted by .... on Sunday April 6 2014 at 08:54
Ha ha got to laugh at RICHARD trying to give it the big un under his bizarre alter-ego from behind his keyboard. Geez chump your language is so nerdy. Soft tw@

Reply Posted by akmad on Sunday April 6 2014 at 22:12
Lets get one thing straight here, with this investment, we'll be like meadowhall, but with a market. people will come on the trains, buses and cars depending if there is free parking. you seen how many people get the train the meadowhall because I have and it's quite huge to be fair,about 30 people every 15 minutes.

Reply Posted by Jamie on Monday April 7 2014 at 11:37
@Tom- you sound lovely guy..what an intelligent and well thought out post.
I wish I was mates with you