Five Portions Of Fruit And Veg May Not Be Enough

Friday April 4 2014

Will you be eating more fruit and veg? Will you be eating more fruit and veg?

EATING five portions of fruit and vegetables may not be enough, according to a new report.

A study carried out by experts at University College London, who analysed the eating habits of 65,000 people, revealed that eating more fresh produce was linked to living a longer life.

They also found eating at least seven portions of fruit and vegetables a day resulted in a 42 per cent lower risk of death from all causes and a 25 per cent lower risk of cancer.

However, there was a surprise finding - people who ate canned or frozen fruit actually had a higher risk of heart disease, stroke and cancer.

What do you think to this? Will you be eating more fruit and veg? Or is it asking too much with regards to time and affordability? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by Blue sky on Saturday April 5 2014 at 17:05
Fruit and veg are so expensive. Whilst at the supermarkey I noticed that not many at the tills were buying it or very little. Soon we will all be living off only plastic processed food. No woner fat is the new normal and life expectancy rates are low here in Yorkshire.

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Saturday April 5 2014 at 21:55
would like to raise a point on the old microwavable meals in plastic ,dont go near um as its a proven fact that chemicals pass out of the container into the food and these chemicals can cause cancer .dont believe me look it up.

Reply Posted by mr.findus on Saturday April 5 2014 at 21:59
Yes guy, plus they're horrible, the chicken ones have never seen a beak or feather! God only knows what's in em! Same with Chinese dishes.

Reply Posted by Fred on Saturday April 5 2014 at 23:28
@blue sky

29p of seeds, + soil + sun + water = veg !!!!

Reply Posted by mr.findus on Saturday April 5 2014 at 23:30
You gorrit Fred. Well said

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Saturday April 5 2014 at 23:51
sun fred where i carnt see it with all this smog.

Reply Posted by anon on Saturday April 5 2014 at 17:31
Don't agree, by comparison, fruit and veg are as cheap as chips compared with convenience foods. Takeaways are expensive and just one meal,a bag of spuds are much better value. A bag of apples are cheap too compared with 12 crisps in the 6 packs. Look around,you,ll see I'm right.

Reply Posted by blue sky on Sunday April 6 2014 at 11:13
@ FREDD
Not everyone has a garden so you are being fascetious.
@ ANON
80p for brocoli fit for one meal and maybe 2 people?!
Not everyone can live on a bag of spuds and horse carrots. Plus who grows bananas etc? Fruit is expensive.

Reply Posted by Loves fresh good on Sunday April 6 2014 at 11:17
For people who think fruit and veg are far too expensive... Barnsley has a fantastic food market, with fresh fruit, veg and meat a lot cheaper and nicer than those brought in a supermarket. This also has an added bonus of supporting small businesses that need good regular customers :)

Reply Posted by blue sky on Sunday April 6 2014 at 20:06
@love.....
Fine but not everyone lives near Barnsley town centre nor do they want to. How can the poor from Royston, Womwbwell or Thurnscoe for example afford to travel there for the (in my opinion) rubbish markets?
Plus many people today cannot cook and were not brougjt up to eat veg due to lazy parents so good luck with trying to convert them.....

Reply Posted by anon on Sunday April 6 2014 at 20:20
You're right I suppose. Then they crying when their health starts going belly up. Fruit an veg is cheap in Asda though and there's one in Royston I do know. I'm with you,its mostly laziness.

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Monday April 7 2014 at 10:13
fruit marvellous healthy stuff but is it what abut all the pollution and worryingly the most what about all the pesticidec they spray on the fruit.

Reply Posted by sid on Monday April 7 2014 at 10:22
I've often thought the same guy. You know,my ducks and chooks will not eat lettuce that's been in a pre packed bag. Even a fresh lettuce has to be washed before they,all eat it. The ones from my garden when in season are no problem,they go mad for it. That tells me to do the same. If the animals won't eat it neither will I. Its the chemicals,it has to be. Cancer inducing I think.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Sunday April 13 2014 at 20:17
Me and my wife's have lost four members of our famililys to cancer in the last 4 years. It was never heard of before in both families. I honestly believe the food chain has the answer.

Then again the USA has just signed an agreement with massive food industry companies that while trials and genetic food processesing is in progress. No company will be held responsible and will be exempt from any prosecutions should they get it wrong.

What does that tell you.

Reply Posted by Fred on Sunday April 6 2014 at 21:38
@ blue sky

Wow, you should write a book......

A book of excuses !!!!!!

Reply Posted by blue sky on Sunday April 13 2014 at 18:55
@ FRED

Not excuses but facts. I eat healthy and love veg. Just had 5 on my Sunday dinner.

However I am older and grew up eating well. I am stating that young people were not often so lucky and therefore can be uneducated. It is cheaper to eat junk.