Residents Urged To Get Involved In New Library Design

Friday April 11 2014

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

BARNSLEY Council is asking for the help of local people to get involved in the design of the town's new central library.

The next few years will see many changes in Barnsley as the town's £41 million regeneration plans get underway - which includes a new £4m library.

The council is keen to ensure that the views of current library users, the wider community and future users are captured and taken into account as the project develops.

Coun Jenny Platts, cabinet spokesperson for adults and communities, said: "We are committed to developing a library that will meet the needs of people living in Barnsley.

"We are therefore seeking local people who have an interest in the library service to get involved and help us shape the design and offer of the new library."

People interested in getting involved can complete an expression of interest form on the council’s website. For people without internet access, a form is available from Barnsley libraries.

Reply Posted by mel on Friday April 11 2014 at 13:40
Pity they didn't listen to the 13 thousand local people who didn't want the library to close in the first place! They can shove it

Reply Posted by Future Looking on Friday April 11 2014 at 13:56
And what about those of us that would rather see the town regenerated for the future of our kids rather than wasting away?
Well done Barnsley council for not letting the town die.

Reply Posted by chickadee on Saturday April 12 2014 at 10:16
I was approached by someone with a petition who told me it was "to stop the library being closed" I didn't sign it (and I'm a regular library user) as I was aware that the library was being moved so that a scruffy end of town (barring the town hall/fountains and pinfold steps) could be redeveloped. I wonder how many people were duped into thinking that they were going to shut the library completely and not open a replacement?
It wasn't an honest way of gathering signatures, more scaremongering by people who are adverse to change.

Reply Posted by ray on Monday April 14 2014 at 12:57
chickadee is right, I had exactly the same information being pushed on me. Thankfully I knew otherwise. The protestors deliberately held back on information that would have affected the petition. Not telling people the library was being moved and that it was being closed instead made me think they were just out to disrupt the process and very dishonest I lost trust in them.

I also attended the first meeting in the library where some of the protesters behaviour was what I can only describe as deplorable. Upon voicing my concerns on here a number of times I was called a council mole, of which I am not.

I still think BMBC have a way to go in the way they handled process and it was never fully explained as to why the library had to go, but I'm not going to let that get in the way of redevelopment progress in this town. God knows we've waited long enough.

People saying it was a perfectly good building are wrong. It wasn't. ergonomically it was a nightmare. The lighting, heating, insulation roof were all inadequate. A Third of it was no longer in use aesthetically it was not the best either.

Reply Posted by mel on Friday April 11 2014 at 14:21
They don't have to demolish a perfectly good building in order to regenerate the town centre.

Reply Posted by Future Looking on Friday April 11 2014 at 18:43
So we should keep a building just for the sake of it? Even though it prevents regeneration of one of the worst parts of the town Centre and stops the college expanding (one of the success stories of Barnsley)?
We'll get a better library in a better location as well.

Reply Posted by mel on Friday April 11 2014 at 21:09
There was lots of alternatives for the new college, it needn't have been at the expense of the library, and as for a better one, well lets just wait and see.

Reply Posted by KFC on Friday April 11 2014 at 22:38
Surely the people of Barnsley will not be taken in with the BMBC crap. They don't give a dam about your views just local election due next month

Reply Posted by kikikik@aol.com on Saturday April 12 2014 at 01:19
kfc pizza hut macdonalds all the same *****

Reply Posted by mel on Saturday April 12 2014 at 14:04
KFC- They just may give a damn AFTER the local elections, when they find themselves voted out...

Reply Posted by Nick on Saturday April 12 2014 at 14:23
Just a thought ... when councillors move house, do they sell their house first, move into make-shift accommodation and then start planning for their next property?

Reply Posted by True red on Saturday April 12 2014 at 15:25
People want to regenerate Barnsley but a few don't want to relocate the library strange or is it that those who tried to use scare tactics by spreading rumours of no library at all are now complaining that its election tactics do I detect a political agenda kfc@ mel@

Reply Posted by Nick on Saturday April 12 2014 at 16:33
There's talk of a new library in the new market complex near the bus station. That would be an ideal location for all the borough but it is only speculation until plans are forthcoming. It is this absence of planning that I find unacceptable.

Although we may actually end up with an improved library facility, the issue has raised questions over the decision making processes at the council.

Reply Posted by mad, bad & dangerous to know on Sunday April 13 2014 at 09:17
Hang about, thought it was all sorted, where the move was to & how great the new space was to be, NOW THEY WANT HELP?

Reply Posted by J on Sunday April 13 2014 at 09:29
I'd like to see the new library to be Autism friendly as well as that to have more natural daylight with an easily access children library
And lasi 1 somewhere you go with your children & people with additional needs and you don't get the old gits that use it have a go at you

Reply Posted by steveo on Sunday April 13 2014 at 09:54
Personally and as one that doesn't use the library, I cant wait till they knock it down as it IS any eyesore.
Drove past yesterday and that whole row definitely looks out of place.
If we are to attract more people into town then some of the biggest eyesores will have to be knocked down.

We DO have some fantastic architecture in town it is just a matter of looking for it.

Reply Posted by Ann on Sunday April 13 2014 at 09:56
I did sign the petition for it not to close for one simple reason look at the fiasco the council made of the market area during the last supposed improvements ran out of money a library is better than no library a lot of Barnsley folk have lost confidence in the council for genuine reasons I hope with all my heart they prove me wrong but for me these days seeing is believing sorry ....

Reply Posted by jodie on Monday April 14 2014 at 15:00
I did sign the petition because there is no set place or design for the new Library. I Hope they build a new library for us all because every town needs a Library. Form past experience's though councils say one thing and do another if we had the information about the new Library before they closed the Library to it's new temporary home most of the protects would of been happy about it. I said most because no mater what happens there are going to be people for and against it.

Reply Posted by Brian on Monday April 14 2014 at 16:45
I still cannot understand why we could not have retained the existing library on Shambles street and built the new college along side it. If there was insufficient space for the college then surely an additional storey could have been added to the building. Barnsley council do seem to waste significant amounts of our money, money that could be spent on other projects.