Mobility Scooter Driver Hit By HGV

Thursday March 27 2014

AN ELDERLY man who was driving his mobility scooter escaped with minor injuries after being hit by a lorry.

Police were called at around 9.20am on March 17 to reports of a collision in Laithes Lane, Barnsley.

The man, in his 60s, was taken to Barnsley Hospital but did not suffer any serious injuries.

Reply Posted by tom on Thursday March 27 2014 at 09:23
those mobility scooter drivers are dangerous they never look where they are going and expect everyone and everything to get out of their way and in my opinion if they are going to be on roads they should be taked and insured like all motor vehicles

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Thursday March 27 2014 at 10:50
dear tom according to the wife scooters above a certain speed have to be taxed not insured to go on the road.its a pitty some of the car users dont bother about either.

Reply Posted by anon on Thursday March 27 2014 at 09:40
You should drive down manvers by pass round dinner time theres always someone bobbing along down there on a mobility scooter was only other an old woman was driving down middle of the road silly silly ppl they should be fined when caught on roads

Reply Posted by Nic on Thursday March 27 2014 at 10:55
Glad to hear the man is ok , but it has to be said that some mobility scooters are a danger to them selfs when they use the main roads not really paying any attention

Reply Posted by jill on Thursday March 27 2014 at 13:48
it was my Father-in-law,who,s in his 70,s and the scooter is taxed, it was an accident, as simple as that, he doesn,t drive in the middle off the road,it happened at the traffic lights

Reply Posted by Francesca on Friday March 28 2014 at 08:27
You should look at midland road in Royston, I work in a clothes shop every time do I look out of the window there is an old women going as fast as they can go past the window, an old man holding traffic up because he's on the road. I would have thought they were for old me but the amount of young people I see on them now is unreal

Reply Posted by Simon Walsh on Friday March 28 2014 at 10:12
Lots of people use them now as a cheap car. Especially fat and lazy people who should be walking or exercising to lose weight.

Reply Posted by ............ on Friday March 28 2014 at 10:45
I am a driver, if drivers took more care while they are driving there would not be accidents like this, I drive every day for my job and see lots of bad drivers though out the day, I think these scooters are a good thing for old people it gets them out and about it's there life line to still been able to get in to town and still have there own independence, some people need to get a life pulling people down who drive scooters, what's going to happen when you get old and need a scooter???????????????????

Reply Posted by andrew on Friday March 28 2014 at 12:12
There needs to be more governance for people using mobility scooters on the road. I've had to pass a driving test to enable me to drive on the road. I've seen mobility scooters with trailers attached crawling along at whatever speed in late evening times, with insufficient lights attached. Even slow moving vehicles like tractors, for example, have to have a yellow flashing beacon attached when using the public highway.

Reply Posted by KLC on Friday March 28 2014 at 16:56
This is some peoples only means of getting around!! I am also a driver and whilst driving if you are aware of potential hazards these things could 90% of the time be avoided. When all is said and done an accident is an accident!!