Retro Diner Could Open In Barnsley

Friday March 28 2014

A RETRO American-style diner could open in the town centre if plans are given the green light.

Daniel Sharp, of Hazelwood, Monk Bretton, has applied to Barnsley Council to change the use of 6 The Arcade from a former hairdresser to a restaurant.

He submitted the application through agent Bec Nutton, of Smiths Chartered Surveyors, Regent Street, who said it would be transformed into an American-style diner.

Proposals show it would employ four full-time and four part-time staff and be open from 11.30am - 9pm seven days a week.

Would you like to see this in the town centre? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by clare taylor on Friday March 28 2014 at 11:17
an american diner wouuld be nice

Reply Posted by emma on Friday March 28 2014 at 11:21
how would you be able to apply?

Reply Posted by Good. on Friday March 28 2014 at 11:36
Great idea, hope it works out.

Reply Posted by toni on Friday March 28 2014 at 11:39
Yeah defo b nice my fav restaurant is tgi fridays b nice to try something new

Reply Posted by king louis on Friday March 28 2014 at 11:41
I was is Castleton yesterday and the American diner was the only empty food place in the town... Good luck, I hope you have done some real market research on existing ones with a similar amount of footfall

Reply Posted by John on Friday March 28 2014 at 12:05
The one in Castleton is a glorified pizza place to be honest. I think if you got a proper Man V Food type place it would be great.

Reply Posted by Marley on Friday March 28 2014 at 12:21
oh boy! That would be fantastic!! shame it's in an area away from a car park for me to go and enjoy it :( no disabled parking space close enough, would have found me in there often. Can they not find somewhere for us disabled folk to get to easily? we love american diners, My husband and i drive all over Yorkshire to have our lunch in them, would have been good to have one in our own town too.

Reply Posted by cin on Friday March 28 2014 at 12:22
That would be awesome !!! Barnsley needs more nice places like this. I hope it goes ahead :)

Reply Posted by carl on Friday March 28 2014 at 16:13
isn't there enough food places in Barnsley ?? sub gregs ect at least 5 cafes its just to much already and the Americans aint known for eating healthy are they whos in favour of this ???probly the fat obese ppl is that it now for Barnsley?FAST FOOD BOOKIES GAMBLING PLACES AND CHARITY SHOPS WITH OVER PRICED ITEMS you can but new for a few ponds more. I cant think of one row of shops that don't sell foods in at least one of em

Reply Posted by Deb on Sunday March 30 2014 at 16:32
So what would you like to see in Barnsley?

Reply Posted by Bev on Friday March 28 2014 at 18:34
Shame there would be no parking for hotrod,s as we are in a hotrod club and local.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Friday March 28 2014 at 20:09
Best of luck in your new venture Mr Sharp ;)

Reply Posted by bananas on Friday March 28 2014 at 20:14
don't hold your breath Daniel ye no what Barnsley councils like. hope it takes off big time. keep ye prices darn son.

Reply Posted by buddy on Friday March 28 2014 at 23:20
would be brill what a nice change love all that American diner stuff and 50s music etc look forward to it good luck.

Reply Posted by casey on Sunday March 30 2014 at 13:16
Sounds good. We need new things in barnsley fed up of going and not being able to find what I want/need. Hopefully this will kickstart new businesses coming into barnsley.

Reply Posted by 4Ft11andshrinking on Sunday March 30 2014 at 16:04
It's grim up north, FACT!

Reply Posted by A Nonny Rat on Monday March 31 2014 at 14:38
... put it this way! Hickory's at Malton... YOU HAVE TO BOOK most of the time! The secret has to having a menu that is just beef burgers and hotdogs... Pot roast, Twinkies, Jambalaya, Chicken fried steak, Meatloaf and BLT... NOM!

Reply Posted by mizi on Monday March 31 2014 at 16:45
I would like to see maybe a J.D sports, footlocker, Debenhams, house of fraiser or just somewhere to look around for better clothes and try them on etc i very rarely shop in Barnsley because its all pound lands, bookies, greggs, banks n pay day loan places and the clothes shops that are in Barnsley are the reason men look like women in Barnsley but as for the bistro good luck could be a hit and hopefully might make a few shops shut n open more shops to suit me hehehe :D

Reply Posted by me on Tuesday April 1 2014 at 18:36
We did have American Style Diner, Called Chicago Rock Cafe. But that went downhill After a few years.
Nearest American food places is TGI's, Frankie and Bennies and the new one in Meadowhall.

Reply Posted by 242 on Tuesday April 1 2014 at 18:56
I think it would be a great idea. I work on the Arcade and know me and friends would definitely come in for our food. Its about time we got a few more new businesses in Barnsley that are a little different to all the rest.