Same-Sex Couples To Wed In Barnsley

Friday March 28 2014

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

SIX same-sex couples in Barnsley have already booked to get married.

The first wedding will be held on March 31 - two days after gay marriage becomes legal on March 29.

A council spokesman confirmed the six couples were booked to be married in the next financial year.

Reply Posted by Andrew on Friday March 28 2014 at 14:33
Fantastic, 2 of them are very good friends of mine. It has been a long time coming but it is here at last. The town hall is proudly displaying the rainbow flag to welcome in the new law. Thank you everyone for your part in making this happen

Reply Posted by Happy on Friday March 28 2014 at 15:27
This is great news! :)

And Dan B, your opinions would differ if you liked the same sex, wouldn't they? Gay men dont say straight relationships are wrong (many of then anyway) so why do you?

Reply Posted by June on Friday March 28 2014 at 15:29
You know I've read the bible and the old testament is full of contradictory stuff and just about everything is forbidden

Then Jesus came along and basically told is that God's message had gotten lost amidst the hate and fe prejudice. He preached love and understanding to all mankind and that we love one another and love God.

Not hate, not judgement just love,

Gods earthy spokesman had the opportunity to say anything he wanted to clear up any part of the bible and he did it. Love is the message that simple

Look into your own hearts and your own motives when you call down people who express their love.

If Jesus did not condemn then then who are you to do so?

Explain that on judgement day

Good luck to anyone getting married it's way overdue

X

Reply Posted by toni on Friday March 28 2014 at 15:31
Every 1 deserves to b happy no matter which sex there wiv ya can't decide who ya fall in love with No point in bein unhappy life is for living learn to love n b loved in return

Reply Posted by Great news on Friday March 28 2014 at 15:32
Dan B there are a lot of actions that are wrong in life, but at the end of the day you only get one life and it's about making sure you are happy. Clearly with your shrouded views and opinions, I'm guessing your life isn't that great. People like you need to put up and shut up, times are changing. completely agree with Happy, be completely different if your partner was same sex!

Reply Posted by a straight man on Friday March 28 2014 at 16:08
while im not against gay people. i am against gay marraiges. i think they should have just left it at blessings. pease dont yake this as an insult its its just my opinion

Reply Posted by Andrew on Friday March 28 2014 at 16:12
And your entitled to that opinion. The trouble with the civil partnerships was they did not give the same rights to same sex couples as a marriage does for heterosexual couples. People who had been together for years were not seen as partners in the eyes of the law so it made people feel their love was inferior and less than that of a heterosexual couple.....but in reality it was the same. This law means they will be equal in the eyes of the law and their relationship recognised as such. That is why it is important to us

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Friday March 28 2014 at 17:26
dont forget one of our greatest military leaders ever written about in british history .lord horatio nelson what were his last words KISS ME HARDY.the victorians wanted us to believe he said kismet hardy.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Friday March 28 2014 at 18:10
Not my cup of tea like, but everyone deserves to be happy.
Wonder if the C of E will start towing the line?

Reply Posted by True red on Friday March 28 2014 at 18:14
Guy he also was tomming lady Hamilton

Reply Posted by Jordan on Friday March 28 2014 at 18:22
Dan b ... What a tool you are ... People should be happy and not have people like you looking down on them

Reply Posted by anon on Friday March 28 2014 at 18:56
No need for that Jordon! The guys entitled to his opinion without being called a pr***! Don't get bitchy, you do the cause more harm than good with that nasty attitude.

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Friday March 28 2014 at 19:34
dear jordan is that responce directed towards me or true red.

Reply Posted by true red on Friday March 28 2014 at 19:47
don't think it was me guy or you it was against DanB i cant think tomming lady hamilton would cause such a fuss in todays modern world

Reply Posted by Funky dread on Friday March 28 2014 at 18:38
Live and let live people. Peace, love and harmony.

Reply Posted by kim on Friday March 28 2014 at 18:48
Congratulations Kilkenny for your upcoming wedding.

Reply Posted by dunt mind but on Friday March 28 2014 at 18:51
My brother is gay and happily in a long term relationship, before anyone starts. I don't mind what anyone does, but I can't get my head round the children involved. Old fashioned maybe,but it doesn't sit easy in my mind. I just think a child should have a mum and dad. I've thought this thru,on both arguments for years,but still it doesn't sit easy with me.

Reply Posted by above i do on Friday March 28 2014 at 19:03
I have a few gay/lesbian friends. and it is my thoughts exactly. only my opinion.

Reply Posted by Andrew on Sunday March 30 2014 at 17:25
It is your opinion but for me it is about the children, If a child can have a happy and stable and loving home by two people of the same sex or stay in care going from foster home to foster home what is better for the child.
I would also be interested to hear if you feel the same about single parents.
I have many friends who have adopted, or come out after having children but brought up in a same sex household and the children are an absolute delight, Respectful, polite and well balanced and brought up and nurtured to know what is right or wrong. Children are not born born prejudiced but it is taught to them.

Reply Posted by Fred on Friday March 28 2014 at 19:12
Whilst I think marriage should be the reverse of a man and a women, and I suppose if push come to shove I would have to say I'm against same sex marriage. I do absolutely agree that same sex couples should have the same legal rights as any married couple. I do have issues when same sex couples kick off demanding the same rights to adopt children etc, I know you don't choose to be gay/lesbian, but that path removes the ability to have children. Old fashioned maybe but that's my opinion.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Friday March 28 2014 at 20:06
Not very often this happens Fred but TOTALLY agree.

Reply Posted by B Friendly on Saturday March 29 2014 at 13:01
I have to say that because of a person sexual preference he or she should have the same rights as any other person in this country and if that's the right to marry then so be it but by those same rights the catholic and other religious establishments should have the same right to say not in my place of worship. neither side if there is a side should be pilloried for there attitudes and tolerance of one and other should be the norm and not the exception like Christians homosexual have been persecuted through out history and in some countries still are, good luck to those who where married yesterday weather same sex or not

Reply Posted by 4FT11andshrinking on Saturday March 29 2014 at 14:12
I really wish some of you lot would refrain from writing personal insults about other peoples comments, it's not nice and it's not attractive at all.

Reply Posted by Tracy on Saturday March 29 2014 at 20:19
I am straight and say live and let live and keep your nose out of other peoples lives. There are more things to get stressed about in this life !!

Reply Posted by toni on Saturday March 29 2014 at 20:48
Love and b loved in return no matter if your gay,straight or lesbian life is for living and being happy what matters

Reply Posted by Jim on Sunday March 30 2014 at 11:59
Whose name do gay couples use after getting wed ?.

Reply Posted by just saying on Sunday March 30 2014 at 12:22
me and my partner both have gay freinds and if i was asked to attend a civil partnership i would gladly but if i was asked to attend a gay marraige i would decline it. im not homophobic in the slightest evenif people think i am from this comment i just dont believe in gay marraiges.

Reply Posted by Rich on Sunday March 30 2014 at 17:20
so you would gladly accept an invite to civil partnership that almost makes same sex or heterosexual couples equal but you wont go to a marriage which makes them equal because you do not believe in it? I do not think your homophobic but just can not work out your logic

Reply Posted by doesitmatter on Sunday March 30 2014 at 12:35
i believe we where all put on this earth to enjoy life regardless. i find it interesting how many homophobic people are on here. but yet will probably brag to their friends how they gave their girlfriend anal sex !!!!!!!!!! being gay does not change the person and we should respect their values just as they would/do a heterosexual persons. a other interesting point is why do men crave to have to lesbians? but are against gays? the moral of the story is simple .....the homophobic people need to get a life and stop living in the past.

Reply Posted by just saying on Monday March 31 2014 at 10:15
Now this willsound old fashioned but marraige to me is between a man and a woman and thats my feelings on that. Im not saying that gay people shouldnt be equal but they should have the same rights has marriage wen entering a civil partnership

Reply Posted by GRIM on Monday March 31 2014 at 12:54
Jesus had two dads.

Reply Posted by sally on Monday March 31 2014 at 21:13
Good point. LOVE AND LIVE. Let others live their lives, we are not to judge. Only GOD can do that on JUDGEMENT DAY.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Tuesday April 1 2014 at 10:36
@kim - Congratulations Kilkenny for your upcoming wedding.

Are you backward or something? FYI I am not gay although I have lots of gay friends. This is 2014 dear. Do you think being gay is something to snigger about? Do go and do an equality and diversity course dear.

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday April 1 2014 at 11:20
Just like Michael Jackson said 'doesn't matter wether your black or white' in this case 'doesn't matter wether you like men or women or both' as long as your happy who cares, life is too short to care what other people think of you. Just be happy.