Council Responds To Residents' White Bag Complaints

Monday March 24 2014

BARNSLEY Council's new changes to the way you recycle will save £700,000 per year.

The all-new white bag scheme, which has drawn a lot of criticism from disgruntled residents, came in on March 1 and has seen residents flocking to We Are Barnsley to complain.

Coun Roy Miller, cabinet spokesman for development, environment and culture, has defended the council's recycling changes.

He said: "The Environment Agency need us to collect garden waste and cardboard separately, because of the way these materials are recycled. We needed to make this change to collections in the most cost effective way, while improving our collection service.

"The cost of giving every household a recycling sack is £100,000, compared with a cost of £1.8 million to give every household an extra recycling bin.

"The changes will save £700,000 per year. That’s equivalent to around 30 jobs, and goes towards the £26 million savings we have to make over the next two years in response to government cuts."

How are you finding the new white bag? Are you happy with it? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by Ann on Monday March 24 2014 at 10:53
I have two bags which are now both full still two weeks to go before emptying and there is three disabled here we can not lift the bags now so what do we do with the rest of the paper and how do we get them to curb side I have not heard of anyone yet who likes this new system it just does not work, even the plastic and tin bin is full false economy again... sorry not impressed and this does not give me any incentive to vote for them next election sorry

Reply Posted by Richard on Monday March 24 2014 at 10:54
NEWSFLASH: Barnsley Council in saving money SHOCK!

An insider says they apologise for this and it will not happen again.

Reply Posted by cp on Monday March 24 2014 at 10:57
I dont think people have an issue with recycling cardboard and garden seperately. The issue is the bags. Why not add a bin? Easier to move and doesnt blow away when the wind picks up.

Reply Posted by Annoyed on Monday March 24 2014 at 11:05
Married with 3 kids, means lots of cardboard from various food products, now put in a smaller blue bin and now emptied monthly, so the bin is not going to be big enough. So what do the council do, rip off the people who pay council tax by charging 15 quid for the delivery of a bigger bin, unless you have a car big enough, and don't work during the times the waste department is open, then you can call and get one for nothing. Another way to rob the working man.

Reply Posted by JPA on Monday March 24 2014 at 11:11
My Mum lives darn sarf and everytime she visits she has a chuckle at all the bins we have. She only has 2! Black for Domestic Waste and a Red one for ALL recyclable stuff. So, not sure why it is so different for us oop norf? And the council will make up their minds why they introduced the white bag. Pretty sure that it was reported that the Council did a poll and it came back that people prefered having the green bins for just garden waste. I found it strange at the time cos no one asked me!

Reply Posted by bananas on Monday March 24 2014 at 11:13
my 94yr old mother cant carry these bags to the front and her neighbour says he,s not carrying other peoples rubbish to the front. i work 12 hr shifts, so i will put the bags to the front 4 her maybe 2 or 3 days before they are suppose to be emptied due to my work. hope its not windy or the council will have another bill in picking the newspapers up.

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Monday March 24 2014 at 11:32
Still waiting for mine, even though they have stated they have been delivered

Reply Posted by SiD on Monday March 24 2014 at 11:35
Ask for bigger bins blue and brown - its on the leaflet/letter than announces the new service. There is a wait but council have offered it

Reply Posted by B on Monday March 24 2014 at 11:43
It says there saving money by giving bags instead of a new bin but most households didn't already have a blue bin plus they are also giving larger brown and blue bins out so won't that cost them more to supply bigger and new bins to households? This is so confusing and not very well thought out. What makes me even madder is that they have not supplied the new bins before changing it, my mum never had a blue bin and now she has nowhere to put her cardboard (which there is a lot of) it's costing so much in petrol and time to keep going to the dump as barnsley council are unable to supply a blue bin until mid April, why did they not think these things through and prepare before the change.

Reply Posted by Redrew on Monday March 24 2014 at 12:00
You can request an assisted collection If you can't move your bins to the kerbside for collection.

Assisted collections are only granted to people and not to properties. They will not be issued to anyone who lives with someone who is capable of taking the bin to the side of the kerb/collection point, or who have family members/employees living within the property or other properties within the same grounds.

Ring Waste Management on 01226 772045.

Reply Posted by Mr Parker on Monday April 7 2014 at 11:33
Assisted collections for my father do not work. My father and I have been in touch with the waste management team via the telephone and e-mail over the past year given the bins are not returned to him.

The irony of this is that residents received a letter from the Waste Management department indicating if bins were taken out early or left out then action could be taken.

Considering the bins are not being brought back by the Waste Management collection team then are they going to take action against themselves, I highly doubt that.

If an assisted scheme is in place then the service should be delivered otherwise why offer it in the first place?

I have requested the official complaints process but strangely this request is being ignored.

Regards,

Mr Parker

Reply Posted by bananas on Monday March 24 2014 at 12:19
load a rubbish.

Reply Posted by me on Monday March 24 2014 at 12:22
They could have saved even more money by no supplying me a bag as all my paper now goes into grey bin, not messing about with useless bags......

Reply Posted by pilleyman on Monday March 24 2014 at 12:36
One of the main problems with a four weekly collection is the overspill, over full bins and a bit of wind means dirty streets, just look round pilley it's turning into dump with tins and cardboard and other various bits of rubbish in the hedgerows.Think of the cost to tidy that lot up in the barnsley area ,just to save a few quid in the short term.

Reply Posted by sikalitta on Monday March 24 2014 at 13:10
The rubbish in the hedgerows won't get collected pilleyman. Don't know why everyone, s complaining, most of the rubbish ends up in my garden!
Cudworths a disgrace. Takeaway boxes!!!! I'm sick of it!

Reply Posted by bananas on Monday March 24 2014 at 13:17
all the overpaid staff in the tarn hall could come out of there cosy little offices and start picking litter up. just saying like.

Reply Posted by Getting annoyed on Monday March 24 2014 at 13:25
Wish I had a blue bin and white sacks as the green bin and carrier bags weren't emptied despite waste management saying they would be. You'd think a block of flats with council tax paying tennants would be near the top on the delivery list. Told the council a few times that the cardboard is now seriously overflowing and just hope they do something about it.

Reply Posted by Claire on Monday March 24 2014 at 13:54
I don't mind the bags but what I do mind is not getting them or my blue bin emptied last Wednesday u think our street was forgotten. I'm sure the council won't forget to issue me with a fine if I forget to pay my council tax bill.

Reply Posted by barry on Monday March 24 2014 at 14:08
Cannot believe the cost implication councillor miller uses for justification of the changes how much more will it cost for all the bigger capacity bins bmbc have been asked to supply if they ever arrive. Why blame the environment agency for these changes when we have been recycling for years before the new system. I suppose you vote for Muppets you get Muppet you get Muppet decisions

Reply Posted by barry on Monday March 24 2014 at 14:13
Just as an extra comment why have we not heard from councillor miiler for these and all past comments on wab.com or isn't he listening to his constituents

Reply Posted by Ian on Monday March 24 2014 at 15:28
Well the white bags do have a gud use. For growin spuds in they are grill.

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Monday March 24 2014 at 15:46
ian i find my ear wax a good place for the tatties.

Reply Posted by Ian on Monday March 24 2014 at 15:29
Oops brill

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Monday March 24 2014 at 15:45
as regaurds rubbish in the town centre and surrounding areas i have suggested in prior posts to colour code or put the pizza parlour or fish and chip shop or whatever the food outlet name on packaging in other words lets have some accountability from the food outletter let them shoulder some responsibility.back to the white bag i am growing some tomatoes in mine this year ideal for it and the bins well there ideal for water in the alotment love you mr houghton.

Reply Posted by Dr Straight to Point on Monday March 24 2014 at 15:58
It's simple give the local Smack Heads a white bag every day they visit the chemist for there daily dose of Methadone.

They can pick the litter up off the streets and exchange it for there daily substiuite fix.

They become clean and so does the street.

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Monday March 24 2014 at 16:19
boring always blamming the people dependant on abusive substances what about the rumanians picking some litter instead of picking pockets and the bennefit system.

Reply Posted by Jenny on Monday March 24 2014 at 16:14
I ordered my larger brown bin in November....still waiting....oh and just had a letter saying my council tax has gone up. Hmmmm

Reply Posted by Rosie on Monday March 24 2014 at 16:32
I ve been phoning waste management for blue bin and brown bin cant get through its busy try later i ve green bin for garden waist and small green box full to rim with tins and plastic bottles was told last friday it will be emptied in 2 weeks which is next week the bin men emptyied cardboard and canvas bags for papers wait untill return of the rats will be complaining more

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Tuesday March 25 2014 at 06:44
rats rosie rats were not moving the house of parliment to barnsley are we nothing on the news.if they do please relocate themto the libary .

Reply Posted by disguted on Monday March 24 2014 at 17:17
The white bags are USELESS shredded paper will blow all over the stree..t also what happens when a dog pees on them because im not bringing mine back in my house.

Reply Posted by stupid on Monday March 24 2014 at 17:47
stupid council i hate the white bags ive had 3 allready as they empty them then through bag on floor then they blow away get ya sen in order bmbc

Reply Posted by baz on Monday March 24 2014 at 20:14
how is this load of **** saving them money pardon my french all i can see is that this set of jokers are going to lay 30 staff off to make it pay they have moved all my local area to the same collection day so think some staff must have gone now . as we are waiting for the larger bins they are taking recycling in bags so they are taking the same amount as before ,we ordered the new larger bins and i guess loads others ordered the new ones which cost money and have to be paid for , these useless white sacks get emptied and dumped on the street so much of bee put secure herd lots saying they are going to put the recycling waste in the the grey bin , this will be the excuse this set of ba*****s need to put grey wast 4 weekly why do this set of jokes think they know best and why did they not ask our opinion on this

Reply Posted by steve32fdc on Monday March 24 2014 at 21:55
We used to put garden waste and cardboard in the same bin, which was impossible to separate. This is important because the council sell it. It is logical then to separate it because this increases revenue from waste. This means that we would need to have an additional container for the paper that we would have normally put in the blue bin that now contains our separated cardboard. As we can't have our garden waste rotting away in the warm summer weather we need to have it emptied more often, because this would lead to more collections we offset this by changing the frequency of our brown bin collection meaning we need a bigger brown bin. The cost of this bin is offset by the increased revenue from separating cardboard and garden waste (as above). I don't want five bins so the bag seems a logical solution.

Reply Posted by tom on Monday March 24 2014 at 22:02
The bag is logical for you steve@ But wait till a dog ****** on the bag and then see how logical it will be then..

Reply Posted by baz on Monday March 24 2014 at 23:13
Steve the council worker sorry but the revenue your talking about does not make sense I guess you work for Barnsley mbc hence why your talking out your poop chute

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Tuesday March 25 2014 at 06:47
no oneseems very fond of these white bags do they.i think we should all cut eye slits in them put them over our heads and make a wall of protest round the town hall.

Reply Posted by bananas on Tuesday March 25 2014 at 10:34
fawkes I was going to put 1 over my head. but next doors dogs just pist on it..

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Tuesday March 25 2014 at 22:32
dear bananas may i suggest swapping it with the neighbours.or hang it on the fence the bag that is not the dog.or nip down to your nearest allotments theyll be loads kicking about there.

Reply Posted by white bag man on Tuesday March 25 2014 at 16:49
we will not be recycling paper anymore - seeing as the paper inside got soaking wet and then the bag blew away!!!!! Council tax increase as well, so wouldn't it be nice to fill in the pot holes instead of wasting money on these bags?

Reply Posted by wayne on Tuesday March 25 2014 at 17:57
First day today for collection and surprise surprise nobody has been for them. WELL DONE. #whybother.

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday March 25 2014 at 17:58
Well done Barnsley Council. A basic job of refuse collection and its just a bit too much to handle. WELL DONE INDEED!

Reply Posted by Dazza on Tuesday March 25 2014 at 21:20
Pot hole pot holes oh no we got useless with bags to fill the pot holes what a waste off money oh we'll that's the council it's not there money it's ours the tax payers

Reply Posted by Dave on Wednesday March 26 2014 at 20:35
This is so stupid. Makes me laugh. most of the time paper and card are recycled together and We haven't even got one yet,

Reply Posted by Donna on Wednesday March 26 2014 at 20:37
The environment agency may have told the council to make these changes but they didn't tell the council to implement it without providing people with adequate size bins first. That is the councils error and y most people are so angry with them

Reply Posted by Ant on Wednesday March 26 2014 at 20:40
We live in low valley and haven't even got white bags yet and don't even know if bins have changed days

Reply Posted by kirkfish on Wednesday March 26 2014 at 20:46
Feck the council and its silly little bags that blow away when empty I'm sticking my paper in the grey bin

Reply Posted by denise on Wednesday March 26 2014 at 20:49
for what I pay in council tax they can sort my rubbish out all goes in grey bin ent got time to sort it

Reply Posted by vik on Wednesday March 26 2014 at 20:51
I'm sorry coun Roy miller but your only saving money in the shirt term!! How many white bags are people going to go through over the next few years I'm pretty sure if u tottered it all up it would be cheaper in the long run for a sturdy bin !! They very seldom blow down the street and since your making a profit from the recycling process you'd get a hell of a lot more recyclable waste to roll about in. Someone was dropped on their head as a child weren't they!!

Reply Posted by A nonnie Mouse on Wednesday March 26 2014 at 20:56
Councillor Miller strikes again..... just remember all these complaints people next time you go to vote. If you're not happy you know what you need to do.

Reply Posted by what a crock on Wednesday March 26 2014 at 21:10
Its ridiculous, my brown bin was full 2 weeks ago and is now full again with the rubbish that I had collected within that time! So now in the grey bin it shall go. Do the council make money on recycling? If they do, from what I can see from the various posts through here and Facebook the are going to lose a fair bit of money, people are racked off and have better things to do (work, to help raise funds for the increased council tax!) than run to the dump with extra rubbish. As for the bins, I ordered bigger ones months ago. I have tried ringing several times only to listen to a long a laborious message a few ring tones and then another message telling me how busy they are and then they cut off ! Charming.

How they are saving money I can't figure it. Outlay on new bigger bins, many paper bags being blown away etc..and a loss in earnings on the waste no longer being recycled as its overflowing. Just another red tape and bureaucratic decision made apparently in our best interests and WHAT can we the voters do about it. Moan on here, Facebook, stand a protest. It will make absolutely no difference. This decision was rubber stamped no matter what we the council tax payers needs are!....Well people take notice no matter who you vote for, they all pickle in the same pot!

Reply Posted by tiggs on Wednesday March 26 2014 at 21:10
all my paper goes in grey bin, when the other bins are full everything goes in grey bin (better than rubbish all over the place), dog **** every were, pot holes, litter, what are council spending money on, oh yeah pointless traffic lights, crap scuptures and bags what blow away

Reply Posted by Ieuan David Owen on Wednesday March 26 2014 at 21:27
I live at carltn,bin men have been round today.&.empyd bin.s & bag.s then threw bag.s on floor.so what.s going to happen in winter & windy weather?

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday March 26 2014 at 21:34
Don't worry,you're bag,all be long gone before winter mate. Weve not been given one. Might have to recycle any that get blown into my garden,of which I'm sure there,all be many. Crap idea,as were the blue plastic bags a few years back. Why didn't they learn from that?

Reply Posted by pedra on Wednesday March 26 2014 at 21:58
WABers . I live in France and the other day with all the strong gales, one of them bags landing in my garden.. I wish you Brits would stop littering

Reply Posted by shiela on Wednesday March 26 2014 at 22:09
WABers, and pedra,I live in Australia and my pet dingo brought in one of your white sacks. I put it on my barbie, tasted like a Barnsley chop! Had to swill it down wi a tinny!

Reply Posted by lizzie on Wednesday March 26 2014 at 22:25
I watched the bin men collecting these sacks the other day in which they dragged it across the street to the lorry, picked it up to empty into the box, papers flew out which they just left on the floor then threw the bags back and walked away. How long are these bags going to last? I know I won't be asking for a new bag when holes appear in them. My papers will Just go in the grey bin.

Reply Posted by dawn c on Wednesday March 26 2014 at 22:34
Bin day collection changed from Thursday to Friday on our road, so I put our bins out for the Friday 21st march collection. Guess what they are still out, full NOT emptied. Phoned council Friday they said to leave them out while sat night didnt realize they work Saturday . Not emptied emailed them. Phoned again Monday still not emptied NO recycling going on at my house cos bins full and not starting with bags cos there was a dead rat last week at back of bins yuk.

Reply Posted by steve32fdc on Wednesday March 26 2014 at 23:14
I am not and never have been employed by BMBC. Thanks for your logical and intelligent opposition to my point in this carefully considered debate and your incorrect insight into my employment.

Reply Posted by Baz on Wednesday March 26 2014 at 23:20
steve - you are nothing to do with the council . But sadly you talk a lot of ***** just like them.

Reply Posted by susan foster on Wednesday March 26 2014 at 23:52
Ifyou are disabled and / or elderly /living alone and can't manage to get your bags and bins to the kerb side ring Waste management services and ask for assisted collections . I did a year ago its one service that does work

Reply Posted by Fred on Thursday March 27 2014 at 00:02
I like to put my white bag over my head, it makes me more attractive to other men.

Reply Posted by jim on Thursday March 27 2014 at 00:04
Hey Fred,what time will you be at the kerbside?
Med me laff tharrun!

Reply Posted by bored@home on Thursday March 27 2014 at 00:05
Asked for bigger blue bin on 2 occasions now and still waiting, my papers all go in the grey bin, tell me why we make such an effort when people in Scotland in flats and a lot of houses don't recycle anything

Reply Posted by keith on Thursday March 27 2014 at 00:07
I have had a good laugh at some of the comments on here, they are very funny but true, just empty my grey bin three times a week, sorry, now i,m as interested in recycling as Barnsley council are.

Reply Posted by Haigh. on Thursday March 27 2014 at 00:47
First time used & put out.went shopping.came back papers & bag vanished.how much has that cost?????

Reply Posted by Disgruntled on Thursday March 27 2014 at 13:21
Tried 4 phone calls to Waste Management re non collection of all the streets white bags and blue bins - only useless answerphone message. Filled in lengthy form online - guess what their site is down and the bins remain in the street

Reply Posted by TheWalrus on Thursday March 27 2014 at 14:47
I worked for Barnsley Council for 20 years. Some departments are good and genuinely try to provide a good customer service. With that in mind I am ashamed of Waste & Recycling, who's customer service simply doesn't exist, who ignore your calls and /or emails, who ignore and disrespect their customers opinion. To speak of £700,000 saving is inane, simplistic and inaccurate - based entirely on the cost of not delivering a new bin to everyone and ignoring the fact that thousands of people would neither want nor need a an extra bin. Save a lot more and don't collect them at all!!!! - stupid. Streets full of rubbish blown out of the sacks, probable government fines due to a fall in recycling levels, and our bins have not been emptied on the correct day since these catastrophic changes. An absolute shambles - Ombudsman for me.

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Thursday March 27 2014 at 15:19
I applaud the council for attempting to recycle as much as they can, mark my words in a few years time it will be illegal to put anything in the grey bin that can be recycled, so you better get into the habit of doing so.
My bins are too small so I ordered new larger ones but will continue to manage my waste until they arrive. The only fault I have is the fact that I think the 'bag' for paper is not the best idea (I haven't even received mine yet ) as it looks too small - I recycle down to receipts ....
To all those moaning, we have to pay landfill tax and as such the more recycled the less landfill tax not to mention the planet is a better place.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Thursday March 27 2014 at 19:39
Yup, gotta agree tis only a matter of time till we will be recycling all sorts of plastics and the grey bin will primarily be for food faste.

I aint no "eco warrior" but try to do my bit for the environment, all my beer cans go to my neighbour which are recycled with all revenues going to the community garden.
she also takes all my waste paper and cardboard which she pulps and makes into "brickettes" burns them on the fire and the resulting nutrient full ash also goes on the community garden.

non recyclable waste is currently running at £180 a tonne...

Reply Posted by Jenny on Friday March 28 2014 at 14:21
My opinion: Complete bag of shite! Mines been sent away in the grey bin, first time I put it out, it blew, along with the neighbours paper, all over the street. What's the point?!

Reply Posted by gary on Friday March 28 2014 at 21:04
Personally I think this will stop the recycling because now my cardboard bin is overflowing (blue bin)and my sack is full (excuse the pun)and both been outside since collection day (thursday)all estates bins on street waiting for collection what a total balls up well done BMBC what a great idea

Reply Posted by gvjffgh on Monday April 21 2014 at 18:09
every one put ya paper sacks in the black bin dont ues them they r ****

Reply Posted by valerie peters on Thursday December 15 2016 at 07:03
Hi, can our waste paper go in the cardboard bin as I have had 2 of the white sacks gone missing either stolen or the bin men have put it in the wagon and really don't want to get another for it to go missing again ...V Peters