Experience Barnsley Wins Top Award

Thursday March 20 2014

THE Experience Barnsley project has won a prestigious award.

The Local Government Chronicle Awards, which celebrate innovation in British councils, was held on March 12 and had a record-breaking 640 entries submitted.

Its 'Community Involvement' award was won by Barnsley Council, with judges describing the Town Hall-based museum as an 'outstanding example of a community-involved project'.

Experience Barnsley - which opened in June 2013 - has recently welcomed its 100,000th visitor and has been a popular draw for residents and tourists.

A Barnsley Council spokesman said: "To win is a fantastic achievement and a testament to all the hard work and pride that's gone into Experience Barnsley."

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Thursday March 20 2014 at 10:55
recently asked some one there if the experience barnsley had any info on george raynor one of the most sucessful international managers and born at hoyland common she had never even heard of him come on barnsley experience you are the guiding light to the people of barnsley he should be in there shouldnt he.

Reply Posted by chickdee on Tuesday March 25 2014 at 11:03
they're a town museum not a sports one, not everyone knows every sportsperson to come out of barnsley. I love football but have never heard of george raynor.

Reply Posted by John on Thursday March 20 2014 at 12:02
I've never heard of him either.

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Thursday March 20 2014 at 18:13
sad john isnt it how we focus on the drug addicts and the other issues barnsley has and people like george raynor just dissapear please look him up read my other posts.

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday March 20 2014 at 12:37
credit where its due, its nice for our town. Enjoyed it myself. Well done all involved. Might want to swipe the little stone mummy, it floats my boat.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Thursday March 20 2014 at 12:42
Gonna take the nephews when the teachers are out on strike, that's educational isn't it Richard, Richard...

Reply Posted by True red on Thursday March 20 2014 at 17:42
I have got admit I had to look him up but now I have I think he should be mentioned HIs life history looks interesting to people who have an interest in the history of Barnsley

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Thursday March 20 2014 at 18:10
true red he featured on that inside out programe look that up .i think what i like about him most was he told the f.a. what they were doing was wrong .he would have been the england manager just like a mr brian clough a true barnsley forgotten legend his sons still live in sweden and have the medals he won in football they should be asked by a bended kneed person in charge of experience barnsley for there loan.he also wrote his story in a book the last ambassador of football i am pleased i have brought him to yours and others attention yours guy.

Reply Posted by True red on Thursday March 20 2014 at 23:41
Absalutly fascinating person ty guy this person doesn't deserve to be lost in history I know he wrote his life story but there is another one out in June or July that I will def get

Reply Posted by rainbow on Monday March 24 2014 at 13:08
I wonder how much that little freeby at the Grosvenor Hotel in London cost Barnsley tax-payers.?????