Lamproom Aims To Raise £20,000

Wednesday April 2 2014

Photo by Craig Mansell Photo by Craig Mansell

YOUR name could be immortalised as part of a new campaign to sponsor a seat at Barnsley's Lamproom Theatre.

More than £20,000 is needed to renovate the theatre's 187 seats, and Barnsley Central MP Dan Jarvis is leading the drive.

They have been in place since 2001 and it's no wonder they're in need of a refresh, as The Lamproom estimates 250,000 theatre-loving people have plonked down on them since then.

Anyone wishing to help can sponsor a seat for £50. A plaque will be placed on each new seat with an inscription chosen by the sponsor, so they can have their name, family name, club or business permanently acknowledged.

"The Lamproom is an important part of our cultural offer here in Barnsley," Mr Jarvis said. "It's important that we raise funds to ensure it continues as a vital local theatre for the coming years."

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday April 2 2014 at 18:31
£50?? Bit dear that!

Reply Posted by True red on Wednesday April 2 2014 at 21:00
£50 for a seat no problem i won't bother with my meals for the week or maybe not pay the electric bill or the gas bill I know what I will do take out a loan from one of these money lenders and pay it back with five hundred percent interest better still ask my boss for more than one percent pay rise are these people for real

Reply Posted by Luvvy on Thursday April 3 2014 at 12:11
Or you could just not sponsor one and shut up moaning.

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday April 3 2014 at 13:42
Hey Luvvy, its a forum! We are allowed an opinion! Have you bought one?

Reply Posted by luvy sad sac. on Thursday April 3 2014 at 20:31
i agree

Reply Posted by Luvvy on Friday April 4 2014 at 12:34
£50 is not nothing. Whining about something you don't have to participate in and doesn't affect you in any way - that is whining at nothing.

Reply Posted by me on Saturday April 5 2014 at 22:06
Luvvy well said... i can't afford it but doesn't mean I'm gonna knock it, lamp room is a fantastic local theatre and people who can afford and want to support it then good on them those who are too ignorant to appreciate it just shut up theres no need for negativity

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday April 5 2014 at 22:12
I would support it. Had some fantastic nights there. £50 is too dear that's my opinion.

Reply Posted by jock on Wednesday April 2 2014 at 21:11
Why don't Dan Jarvis and his personal secretary ( wife ) pay for the seats out of the expenses there both claim.

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Thursday April 3 2014 at 08:48
lets be honnest about this the lamproom came about through the civic been taken over by the lunatics,its time that whats left in the civic packed up and left and the civic returned to as intended by mr harvey the people of barnsley.

Reply Posted by Pimple on Thursday April 3 2014 at 13:17
Forsake a full day's beer money for an eternity of fame and civic pride? Ahahaha I don't think so.

Reply Posted by Vern on Friday April 4 2014 at 15:02
Should send Katherine Kelly back on Family Fortunes.

Reply Posted by Ben Dover on Saturday April 5 2014 at 22:18
the council should have given the money to the Lamproom instead of the money it's wasted on the civic

Reply Posted by Di on Saturday April 5 2014 at 22:25
I think it's a great idea and I'm sure it's jst one of the many ideas the lamproom have formed to raise the cash they need. If it's a seat per sponsor then this doesn't cover even half of the cash needed so I'm sure there are many other ways people can help.

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday April 5 2014 at 22:38
The bar is poor. Maybe get that up to speed and make it more profitable. We don't want to lose our theatre.

Reply Posted by chickadee on Wednesday April 9 2014 at 09:39
Oh I don't know, £50 isn't too bad ( can't afford it myself, sadly) it's pretty much exactly between the cost of sponsoring a brick at Oakwell (£35/£70) and at least people might actually see your name on it. If you're not into the theatre, then £50 is going to seem like a lot.
On the topic of the civic, I much prefer the selection of events on there. There's a wider range there and the bar is much better. Lamproom tends to only cater to the older end and that's a shame.