Two New Council Housing Developments For Barnsley

Thursday March 13 2014

FORTY-SIX new affordable homes will be built in Barnsley.

Homes will be built at two schemes on Roy Kilner Road, Wombwell, and Saville Road, Gilroyd.

The developments consist of two, three and four-bedroom properties and both schemes will be delivered by Berneslai Homes.

Planning consent has been granted and on completion will become social rented housing.

The £736,000 funding, from the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA), was approved by the council on Wednesday.

A council spokesman said: "These developments will provide new affordable council housing which will meet the particular housing needs of the Wombwell and Gilroyd communities."

Reply Posted by king louis on Thursday March 13 2014 at 11:33
will the weekly rent and rates be less that the minimum take home pay of the majority of Barnsley workers who are on minimum wage? Or will it be "not" affordable housing and only available to those on benefits

Reply Posted by commonsense on Thursday March 13 2014 at 12:04
I want to use this opportunity to inform all residents that will be affected by the Roy Kilner Road development of one dangerous problem. Barnsley council highways have passed the plans to use the lower part of Roy Kilner Road for access to this new development cutting the footpath. If access was used from the top of Roy Kilner Road a SAFE zone will exist for all including small children and the elderly. The footpath would be unbroken by the road and everyone using it would be protected. Barnsley council have been informed of this and done nothing. I want to put this on record now and warn all of the dangers before someone is injured or even worse. The footpath is from Rose Grove to Aldam House. Don't forget in the middle of this is a children's play area. Anyone from Barnsley council wish to comment on this !!

Reply Posted by kfc on Thursday March 13 2014 at 21:15
Who is Barnsley Council today and what does elected Councillors do for the constituents.

Can any one help me understand my own question

Who runs Barnsley Council and where do local Councillors come into the equation.

Reply Posted by rainbow on Friday March 14 2014 at 08:09
Affordable homes, another term for sub standard accomodation. We shouldn't be building homes like this in the 21st century. Future hovels, we got rid of properties like this years ago and now were building them again. This country is going back to the Victorian era a huge gap between the rich and poor.

Reply Posted by commonsense on Friday March 14 2014 at 12:20
Still no reply from the council on my above comment. Come on I know you read these posts. Let's have some public consultation about the access to this housing estate. Or will it be a case of "never should have been built that way" when its too late. Remember you heard it here first.

Reply Posted by commonsense on Friday March 14 2014 at 12:29
Sorry, should be "you read it here first"

Reply Posted by jus on Saturday March 15 2014 at 10:37
When they build these houses, will there be one and two bedrooms so that affordable housing isn't ruled out by the bedroom tax.

Reply Posted by Rik on Saturday March 15 2014 at 11:26
@commonsense do you really expect barnsley council to have this conversation with you on an anonymous comment thread on a website. Go through the proper channels if you're that concerned and stop wasting your time on here

Reply Posted by commonsense on Saturday March 15 2014 at 12:13
@Rik you obviously didn't get the point of my post. It was to put this information out in the public domain and this comments page on the article above is about as relivent as you can get. As for going through the proper channels, I've been to planning meetings, put my concerns to the council etc. etc. They have there own agenda. So should I be a good little boy and shut up, or use this public forum to inform as many as possible. After all, don't we live in a democracy. And as far as being anonymous, the council / councilor's do read WAB and they know exactly who I am.

o inform, and maybe recive some constructivee anyone affected of the problem and bring it to light in a public forum and maybe get some constructive input

Reply Posted by LV on Wednesday March 19 2014 at 19:38
Always complaining that there aren't enough council houses then when plans are made to build housing everyone complains about that too... *sigh* I'd like to add that the most expensive Berneslai Homes house I've ever seen was somewhere around £85 - considering private landlords are able to charge £90/100 for a damp infested 2-bed house, I'd say it's damn affordable.

Reply Posted by Viv Sealey on Wednesday December 14 2016 at 11:20
Why don't anyone contact me