Town Centre Bucks The National Trend

Thursday March 13 2014

What do you think to the town centre? What do you think to the town centre?

BARNSLEY town centre is bucking the trend when it comes to occupied shops.

The amount of shops leased in the town centre is still well above the national average, with 95.7 per cent of premises being occupied.

That figure is substantially higher than the national average of 89 per cent and a regional figure of 88.5 per cent.

Barnsley's independent retail offer also continues to grow, nationally just 48.7 per cent of units are held by independents, regionally 67.3 per cent but Barnsley again shows it has something fresh to offer with 83 per cent of shops being independent.

The news comes after a new report said a drastic shake-up was needed to reinvent Barnsley's 'failed' town centre. You can read that by clicking here.

A council spokesman said: "It’s fantastic that Barnsley town centre is doing so well, in comparison to both regional and national figures."

Reply Posted by d on Thursday March 13 2014 at 15:56
a ya blind evthin us closiog dwn in tarn

Reply Posted by Paul on Thursday March 13 2014 at 16:03
Think person who made first comment is on drugs!!!! The town is full of great shops, and will be even better with the market development, just need more police in town to help get rid of the thieves!!!

Reply Posted by hello open your eyes on Thursday March 13 2014 at 16:17
Sadly Paul, You must wear blinkers . The town is a shith@le.

Reply Posted by Kpo on Thursday March 13 2014 at 16:07
What the report doesn't say is that 50% of the occupied shops are charity shops. The town centre looks run down and appearance is more important than people think. It creates a first impression. I defiantly think it needs a revamp.

Reply Posted by Ackerman on Thursday March 13 2014 at 16:17
Lived in Barnsley most of my life and i went into town a few week ago for the 1st time in ages and what a dump. Horrible depressing place it is. What people see in shopping in the town centre i never know. I would rather go to Cortonwood or Meadowhall or even Wakefield. Come on BMBC sort out our town and make Barnsley Market the best it could be..

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Thursday March 13 2014 at 16:28
The Town Centre is a drab and dreary place, it needs some 'big name' high street companies, but until its cleaned up and improved / modernised then they are going to stay away

Reply Posted by anon on Thursday March 13 2014 at 16:43
Youre right dedatodd,but the "big names" look at the spending power of the area, and until there are more people employed here,they wont invest. Plus any of the large retailers that are at cortonwood, parkgate etc are set up,so they wont invest in town until emploment rises. The town centre wont change,the shops are all at the retail parks.

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday March 13 2014 at 16:36
How odd. When ever I need something new to wear I can never find it in Barnsley. Wish I could to be honest,but Ive stopped looking now. Waste of time. Its easuy for all to see Donny and Wakey have alot more to offer than Barnsley.I dont care what the report says. Have a trip to all three and see for yourself. Who gets paid to make these reports? They need sacking.

Reply Posted by Ken on Thursday March 13 2014 at 17:04
It's great to see so many shop units taken but take all the fast food places, charity shops, opticians and mobile phone shops away and what is left?

Reply Posted by Jane on Friday March 14 2014 at 12:59
betting shops KEN

Reply Posted by gem on Thursday March 13 2014 at 17:31
Pound shops

Reply Posted by Collet on Thursday March 13 2014 at 18:17
Coming in to Barnsley from Worsborough end is nothing but a pigsty,coming up to the lights at Park Road,if that on a council estate you would be find,Councillors driving through Barnsley must all ware blinkers.?

Reply Posted by Azizal on Thursday March 13 2014 at 19:22
To those that say Barnsley town centre is a dump and they shop else where. If the local stores do well the companies invest more money. If you shop else where you are investing in another town and helping perpetuate the problem you are raising.

Reply Posted by nobby on Thursday March 13 2014 at 19:40
to all those knocking barnsley think of this little scenario do you own your house yes then by knocking the town youre knocking the noughts of your house price was it that good an investment .

Reply Posted by ian on Thursday March 13 2014 at 19:59
Azizal @ do you not understand . The town is a dump and my hard earned money will be spend on whatever I choose. And certainly Barnsley will not benefit from me. Nothing to attract anybody unless you like visiting a bomb site from a 3rd world town..

Reply Posted by rainbow on Friday March 14 2014 at 08:04
The most common sign in Barnsley Town centre is TO-LET, there's at least 5 down the Arcade, and that's not counting the For-sale signs,,, Barnsley is dying.!!! The people need jobs and less tax so they can start spending again. !!

Reply Posted by business owner on Friday March 14 2014 at 12:38
Its a tough place to trade.....sadly people shop by convenience and loyalty is a thing of the past and has been taken over by convenience....IF footfall was better more shops would come but I understand that footfall will not increase until we have better shops.....catch 22. I do believe this report is flawed and the street i am on has lost 4 major businesses with over 150 of combined trading in just the last 18 months.

Reply Posted by Business owner on Friday March 14 2014 at 12:43
I meant to say we have lost businesses with 150 years of trading.

Reply Posted by Ron on Friday March 14 2014 at 12:41
People from Barnsley have money to spend but there's nowhere in Town to spend it. If I want to go for lunch with my children there's pubs and greasy spoons to take then, hardly any family friendly restaurants. And if I want to buy them clothes I've the pick of two shops-Primark and Next.

Reply Posted by .... on Friday March 14 2014 at 18:36
I blame Labour BMBC. The answer? Stop voting them in!

Reply Posted by SALLY on Friday March 14 2014 at 21:50
When I was little we used to go to Barnsley town centre shopping. Could get all we needed. The market was the best. There used to be trips of folks from all different areas to the market. It was a great time out. I am 58 now and its rubbish. Cannot get decent quality clothes. I do shop in the market for meat, fruit, veg and fancy goods. There is a smashing childrens stall. SHE sells top quality kids things. Like baileys used to be. There was a baby shop bottom of the arcade but that's shut now. When I need clothes for myself I HAVE NO CHOICE but to go out of town. I am size 18-20 and I cannot get nice things in town anymore. I think LABOUR should put right the mess they made. Best if folk do not vote for them. I certainly DO NOT. It needs new blood in BARNSLEY and a huge CASH INJECTION from the GOVERNMENT. Its a crying shame whats happenend to this town. Its been slowly destroyed. One sad shopper. Light relief though can get a really good coffee at coffee been. Lovely people and very friendly. HIGHLY RECOMENDED.

Reply Posted by Red Optimist on Friday March 14 2014 at 22:47
The Labour Party have failed the people of this town over and over again and yet they keep getting re-elected. For heavens sake, let's give someone else a chance, preferably people with business acumen.

Reply Posted by A Nonny Rat on Saturday March 15 2014 at 15:11
The pride in the town has gone and this council are blaming everyone but themselves! I never see Cllr Houghton walking the town unless a VIP is with him, I hardly ever see the fat lumbering Central Councillers except when parking illegally to purchase fish and chips from across from the Civic. I hear a lot of foul language, I DON'T see any POLICE PRESENCE hardly and when I go for my walk on an early Sunday morning, all I seem to see is rubbish and the FOUL STENCH OF STALE ALCOHOL & SICK. Sorry, but we need to cull some Cllr's in the Town Hall.

Reply Posted by kathryn on Saturday March 15 2014 at 15:17
I walk into the town centre most weekends. There is usually a lot of people around the shops and the market. I'm proud to say I support my town and I enjoy the shopping experience, easily finding all I need a short walk from my home. But based on the comments above I'm a minority. How sad.

Reply Posted by anon on Saturday March 15 2014 at 16:11
Now Kathryn,go to Donny next week. You,all be amazed at the difference. It is a shame you are in the minority, but I'm afraid you are. I'm sorry too,but Barnsley's been side stepped. No new decent jobs then I'm afraid its game over!

Reply Posted by allan machen on Saturday March 15 2014 at 15:18
dont no where the council is looking even the markets crap to wot it used to be could we have a list of all the new shops

Reply Posted by allan machen on Saturday March 15 2014 at 15:19
i fully agree with sally

Reply Posted by Dawn on Saturday March 15 2014 at 15:19
Today I have been to Barnsley shopping not something i do very much so after seeing this on WAB yesterday I thought I would give it a try wot a shocker .The place is full of smack heads drunks no shops to talk about and to top it off its a complete dive and beyond saving and also when did English become our second language

Reply Posted by kathryn on Saturday March 15 2014 at 16:45
Why go out of my way to visit Doncaster when I'm happy with what is on my doorstep? Yes there are "Smackheads" etc in Barnsley, but they are around wherever you go. And yes the town could do with a but of a spruce up, but when it happens (eh town hall fountains) there's just complaints of "how much?!" I hate the negativity in WAB comments. There are some fantastic people and organisations in this town that don't get the recognition they deserve due to the moaning culture we live in.

Reply Posted by kathryn on Saturday March 15 2014 at 16:46
*bit of a spruce up

Reply Posted by Sue on Saturday March 15 2014 at 16:48
Barnsley needs the long awaited revamp but guess it won't happen in my life time lol. Seen worse places than Barnsley and you couldn't pay me to shop in Doncaster or Wakefield

Reply Posted by jackie felts on Saturday March 15 2014 at 17:20
Sue - Surely you are not that stupid? or are you?

If you was getting paid to shop at Doncaster or Wakefield .

You would turn it down. she pauses for a thought .. I am thinking surely not!

Reply Posted by anon on Saturday March 15 2014 at 16:51
Well Kathryn I applaud your loyalty. If you're happy so be it. You're right, there are some good people and organisations here,but sadly nothing to buy.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Saturday March 15 2014 at 18:05
Thai is what your get with a complacent Labour Controlled Council.

You carn't polish a turd.

Reply Posted by sally on Saturday March 15 2014 at 22:02
To add to a lot of comments. There used to be many factories in BARNSLEY. Not the best of pay, but people worked hard. THERE WERE LOTS OF SHOPS and people enjoyed time in town spending their hard earned money. The factories closed and slowly did many shops. The town has never come back as regards employment. The problem is of course attracting business back to town. How do we attempt that without putting money in to bring the place up to a reasonable standard. IT NEEDS real people to get together and decide what is best to do. Not people that do not know the town and its people. Give the public a chance to state what they want in town and listen.

Reply Posted by anon on Saturday March 15 2014 at 22:08
The answer is in your post sally. SR gents closed for one. Its jobs that's needed. The ordinary man on the street has no say in that. We need investment from manufacturers,good jobs.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Saturday March 15 2014 at 22:16
Sadly Sally we are no longer a manufacturing Country. We specialise in Banking and finance. We are a country of lending money to the vulnerable and charging them to death. Let the Rich get richer and the poor and least fortunate of society get ripped off till they are desperate and then let's charge them as much as they can in. Charges and charges well done Wonga and co