Actress To Attend Experience Barnsley's Mining Exhibition

Friday March 7 2014

ACTRESS Maxine Peake will join Arthur Scargill's ex-wife at Experience Barnsley's latest mining exhibition tomorrow.

The Coal Not Dole: Women Against Pit Closures exhibition, which runs until June 1, coincides with the 30-year anniversary of the miners' strike.

Maxine will be the guest of Anne Scargill, upon whom she based her radio drama Queens of the Coal Age.

It dramatised the story of four miners' wives - Anne Scargill, Dot Kelly, Elaine Evans and Lesley Lomas - who attempted to save pits from closure by occupying a mine in 1993.

Reply Posted by Fred on Friday March 7 2014 at 13:02
Will Anne be talking about her ex husband and telling us what a crook he was?

Reply Posted by sarah on Friday March 7 2014 at 13:45
will she be also telling us how much the miners paid for her new car she kept in the garage and her new handbag she wouldnt take out because she thought the women would pinch it from her.

Reply Posted by Bill on Friday March 7 2014 at 14:59
She will be talking about a proud peoples struggle against a callous and vindictive government.

Reply Posted by Nigel on Friday March 7 2014 at 15:16
Will she be telling us about that time in simco with her shopping trolley full and a miners wife scrapping with her, that was a cat fight.

Reply Posted by Phil on Friday March 7 2014 at 20:06
I love Maxine Peake in the Silk series. For the past thirty years I've been periodically reminded about the miners strike, the strike I was involved in. Revisiting the strike makes television, I really don't want to be reminded about this dreadful time when I had three kids under six who suffered just like their parents. Maxine, you make good television, but please move away from the strife of a struggle you weren't involved in. Anne Scargill may feel privileged to be associated with you. So would my wife, who likes you just as much as me, however, our profile wouldn't make good television. Consider the mineworkers who want to move on and forget, move away from these painful times, move away from these people who just live on this sensationalism.

Reply Posted by Yvonne winter on Friday March 7 2014 at 22:04
I worked at co-op in 85 and so did Anne. I earned £15 per week. Anne and her husband clearly had a better lifestyle

Reply Posted by boredathome on Saturday March 8 2014 at 01:34
My uncle collapsed during the strike, he was a miner trying to bring up his 2 infants while my auntie worked 3 jobs to try and survive, they lost their house and had to move in with my grandparents who lived in a 2 bedroom council house, think the scargills ought to hang their heads in shame, the day he had to be stretchered out if the house stays with me now and I was only a young girl at the time

Reply Posted by Pearl on Saturday March 8 2014 at 12:05
A short while back Arthur Scargill was in the news because he was trying to hang onto a grace and favour flat he had in the Barbican. Apparently he needed it for union business. My arse. Regularly in London on union business he is.

Reply Posted by tellmeaboutthestrike on Saturday March 8 2014 at 20:48
Anne worked in the kitchens helping to provide meals for striking miners and their families,, - she could have stayed at home and not have bothered, Anne supported the miners and never wanted to be in the limelight, she supported her ex husband and where did that get her - no where! ,, My ex husband was a striking miner and we had 2 children under 2 , we suffered as did all miners and their families, living local to Anne I know how much hard work Anne put in supporting the miners and their fight to keep the pits open

Reply Posted by paul harrison on Thursday March 13 2014 at 00:10
They were all hero's to me and people who I have the upmost respect for. Been a trade union member is a right of all working people and the right to strike should never be taken away. To strike for a year is truly remarkable, we will never have that feeling of togetherness, unity, community and a feeling of belonging and looking after each other ever again in this country. To ALL the miners and their families I salute you all. Look at the mess our country is in now, no proper jobs for our youngsters to go into no pension no security no camerardarie no apprentiships no hope. Perhaps if you had only won things may have been different. God bless you all.

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday March 13 2014 at 09:25
I listened to radio Sheffield programme yesterday. It was excellent,all old recordings of interviews etc,put to music of the time. It was very emotional and its preyed on my mind since. One miner said,we are fighting for our jobs,not money,and if it all goes what will our kids do for work? Nothing!
I reckon he was right. OK things move on and thankfully its not as bad as predicted,but many of the jobs that have been put in place now are poor. The zero hours contracts rattles my brain. When employed on that hop how can anyone get mortgages etc?. I'm with you Paul Harrison. The way the miners were smashed,truly was disgusting. It was a plan that had been on hold since Ted Heaths era. Villages have suffered , time to move on yes,but contracts need to be changed and lives will then change. Employment is the route to most things good in life.