World War Munitions Incident Resolved

Friday March 7 2014

HUNDREDS of World War Two munitions including grenades, bullets, guns and mortar shells containing what at first was thought to be mustard gas have been safely removed from a terraced house in Penistone.

Residents from around 100 nearby homes who were evacuated to places of safety have also returned home.

The incident began on Wednesday afternoon when police were called to a house in Sheffield Road, Penistone, following concern for the safety of the occupant.

The resident was found to have died, and the house was filled with various pieces of large and small ammunition dating back to the Second World War.

As residents and nearby workers were evacuated, bomb disposal experts were called in to examine the property. The ammunition was found to be inert, and cordons around the area began to be lifted at around 11pm.

Chief Inspector Andy Hodgkinson, who commanded the policing operation on the ground, said: "Every room in the house was packed full of memorabilia. Most worryingly, officers discovered four mortar shells that appeared to contain mustard gas from World War One.

"In my 26 years of policing, I have never seen a collection of firearms or shells as significant as the one we discovered in that terraced house.

"This has been a challenging incident for us all and I am very proud of the team at Barnsley for their commitment and energy throughout."

Reply Posted by june on Friday March 7 2014 at 18:26
sad the man died but what a collection of dangerous items hope items to be disarmed and sent to a museam. well done south yorkshire po;ice an bomb squad

Reply Posted by Bryant and May on Friday March 7 2014 at 18:27
Wow so all this time the collector collected deactivated war memorabilia. Let's hope plod never walks in to a collectable s fair he would poo his pants. I have a box of matches in my kitchen. What a farse, and this made the news lol.

Reply Posted by Hal on Friday March 7 2014 at 19:33
Bryant and May...everything was so harmless the bomb disposal were there for 2 days and had to carry out controlled explosions? I suppose the soldiers were as useless as the Police and you know more about this case and property than the army too?

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday March 7 2014 at 21:26
Plus were in the article does it say it was deactivated

Reply Posted by Amy on Saturday March 8 2014 at 05:33
I think it disgusting it's my dad's best friend ov 23 years it was his hobby like a train spotter wud spot trains everybody as got different interests ppl shud keep there opinions to there selves with out noun full facts every body as got an hobby no matter wot it is if they asked sum1 he new they wud av told ya n it wunt av had to be broadcasted like this ! Making him out to be a bad person ! Rip Martin yr a gd man xx

Reply Posted by LOL on Saturday March 8 2014 at 11:42
I didn't know there had been two World Wars. Were they before that Falklands ine then?

Reply Posted by LOL on Saturday March 8 2014 at 12:10
Lauren - no need to be nasty to Amy. She seems upset. Mind your own business.

Reply Posted by lauren on Saturday March 8 2014 at 19:31
@amy sorry to say some one has been postin in my name what ever has been said was not by me you can ask Wab to track the ip address because like I say it was not sent by me

Reply Posted by lauren on Saturday March 8 2014 at 20:04
I'm a numpty, yeah cos I go around posting in other people's names upsetting others not, I speak my mind and I certainly do not hide behind some one else's name so call me what ever you want but like I say I speak my mind but I did not write the other messages

Reply Posted by Parp Parp on Saturday March 8 2014 at 22:05
Has any dee dar said anything remotely interesting in their whole life ever?

Reply Posted by lauren on Saturday March 8 2014 at 22:09
Whos from Sheffield like?