News » WAB Debate

Should 16-Year-Olds Be Allowed To Vote - A WAB Debate!

Thursday March 13 2014

Youth councillor Pegah Moulana and Dan Jarvis MP Youth councillor Pegah Moulana and Dan Jarvis MP

THREE youth councillors from Barnsley joined more than 100 young adults outside Parliament to push for the country's voting age to be lowered.

The campaign seeks to reduce the current legal age from 18 in a move that will allow schoolchildren aged 16 and over to vote.

What do you think? Do you vote? Do you think it will make a difference?

Should the voting age be lowered? We would love to hear your views. Have your say below.

Reply Posted by Chloe Briscoe on Thursday March 13 2014 at 12:00
I will be 20/21 when I have my first actual vote for the general election in 2020 because next year I still wont be old enough. So thousands of young people are missing out on voting for which party they want to be for the UK Government. Plus the parties are loosing votes, so.. yeah. VOTES AT 16!!!

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Thursday March 13 2014 at 12:04
As a voter for the last 30 years (never missed either personally or by proxy), I think they should have the vote, they need to be involved in the process and hopefully this will stop the apathy that is creeping into voting.
Just a thought though, maybe it should be compulsory for voting 16-70 and add a 'none of the above' to account for those that have no affinity with any of the parties....

Reply Posted by cp on Thursday March 13 2014 at 12:08
I think its only fair you start paying tax and ni at 16 so seems fair to me.

Reply Posted by Chloe Briscoe on Thursday March 13 2014 at 12:12
I was there at the Votes At 16 in westmister and I took that photo of Pegah (the girl) stood with Barnsley Central's MP Dan Jarvis ( I feel special ;) )

VOTING SHOULD BE LOWERED!

Reply Posted by sarah on Thursday March 13 2014 at 12:40
Lower the age but dont make it compulsary. I have 2 older teens one would vote one wouldnt bother because he says their all a waste of space.

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday March 13 2014 at 12:53
so sarah,one of your lads is wise beyond his years and has a keen grasp of our country as it stands. brilliant!

the other says he,ll vote.
just shows eh. ...just joshing.

Reply Posted by sarah on Thursday March 13 2014 at 13:28
yes sid hes a very wise chap ha!

Reply Posted by Tom on Thursday March 13 2014 at 13:16
I am another Barnsley Youth Councillor who attended the Votes at 16 lobby of Parliament. I firmly believe that young people aged 16 and 17 should have the right to vote, because many of us know at least as much as some adults.

Indeed, when speaking with young people, if they don't support Votes at 16, often their reason is 'I don't know enough', but the mere fact that they know that they don't know enough, is more than some adults know.

For most major political parties, if you are a member of the party aged 16 upwards you can vote in the party's leadership elections. Does it not seem odd that these young people can vote for their party leader, but not for the Prime Minister.

On the point of compulsory voting, personally, I support having compulsory voting and/or a 'none of the above' option, as I feel that we should feel privileged that we can vote, unlike in the past, or in other countries around the world today.

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Thursday March 13 2014 at 13:31
Hats off

Reply Posted by Chloe Briscoe on Thursday March 13 2014 at 13:33
You go tom ;)

Reply Posted by Justin bieber on Thursday March 13 2014 at 14:27
Why not, give them the vote this country could do with a breath of fresh air I wonder what it will be like to have an xfactor winner as priminister

Reply Posted by liam cadmorn on Thursday March 13 2014 at 17:48
90% of 16 year olds don't even know todays date so why would they be smart enough to vote, they don't care, the last thing I thought about wen I was 16 was who ran the country, I'll gladly admit at 16 I was in all top sets at school but I didnt have the intelligence to know which party was the best to run our country, why would I care, which retard actually comes up with these ideas, i'm pretty sure if you did a vote around 16 year olds it'd say 10% say yes, 4% say no, and 86% couldnt have gave any less of a crap

Reply Posted by D on Friday March 14 2014 at 18:31
Quote " 90% don't even know today's date"...is this statistically correct and/ or factual ? or is it yet another generalization as with the latter figures ? I think that, judging from all / most of the other comments you're wrong. And why shouldn't young people be given a vote at 16...after all it's going to their world or their mess in the future isn't it ?

Reply Posted by Collet on Thursday March 13 2014 at 18:04
A lot of children who I no 13 to 15 year olds are more intelligent than many 16 year olds ,so where do you draw the line?

Reply Posted by Ged on Thursday March 13 2014 at 18:54
I would include 16 and over, but I would also make voting compulsory for everyone, with a (none of the above) category to ensure those who would rather not vote have somewhere to place their cross. £25.00 penalty for non voters .

Reply Posted by Tom on Thursday March 13 2014 at 18:56
Liam, 90% of statistics are made up on the spot. Also what do you make of a non-spontaneous and well thought through report by an independent think tank which states that 84% of young people intend to vote at 18. Secondly, Collet, I think we need to proceed slowly but surely, making small changes. If necessary in future years lowering the voting age further may be considered, but we ought to focus on the here and now, and concentrate on the small change of allowing 16 and 17 year olds to vote.

Reply Posted by Tom on Thursday March 13 2014 at 18:57
This is the think tank report:
www.demos.co.uk/publications/generationcitizen

Reply Posted by Brian on Thursday March 13 2014 at 19:03
16 is too young to have the vote. Not enough life experience. Leave it at 18.

Reply Posted by Pegah on Thursday March 13 2014 at 19:24
I am the girl on the photo;
Would like to thank wearebarnsley to include us in the page!
At first I wanted to mention many reasons why voting should be lowered to age of 16:
1: This encourages PHSE to be used compulsory within schools since they are more educated to be included within their society
2: Giving youth a voice is easiest method to encourage a better relationship with the local authorities and discourage any crimes to be occurred by the youth
3: There will be an equal balance between the way youth are treated and the way they are expected to react in the society- therefore they are equally prepared to be better citizens.

Reply Posted by Tom on Friday March 14 2014 at 06:53
Brian - what experiences has an 18 year old had that a 16 year old doesn't baring in mind 46% of 16-18s remain in education? (www.goo.gl/100SGT)

Reply Posted by Brian on Friday March 14 2014 at 17:04
Two extra years of life and all it entails! I doubt it would be feasible to increase the voting age now, otherwise it perhaps should be 21.

Reply Posted by Tom on Saturday March 15 2014 at 08:10
I understand your good point, but surely by allowing 16 and 17 year olds to vote there will be a constructive atmosphere in schools and other educational establishments which will stimulate debate around various political issues, and this far out ways our potential 'lack of experience'.

Reply Posted by rainbow on Friday March 14 2014 at 08:15
Why stop at 16, I know lots of 8 year olds who know as much as Dan Jarvis and Michael Dugher, neither of them have held a proper job, literally parachuted into Barnsley in Dan's case.! Their both a pair of publicity seeking freeks pinching a living through Barnsley's obsession with the Labour party who have done nothing for this town only run it into the ground. !!!!

Reply Posted by Tom on Friday March 14 2014 at 08:32
Rainbow - all I'm going to say is the grass is always greener on the other side

Reply Posted by Rubydoo on Friday March 14 2014 at 11:07
I'm in favour of votes for 16 year olds. I was working at age 16 paying tax and NI and resented not being able to have a vote.
There are alot of savvy 16 year olds, let them express their opinions.

Reply Posted by Red Optimist on Friday March 14 2014 at 17:06
Yes, and a lot who are totally irresponsible.

Reply Posted by Tom on Saturday March 15 2014 at 08:04
Just something to think about, are not many adults 'irresponsible'?

Also, just because some 16 and 17 year olds may be irresponsible should we hold this against all 16 and 17 year olds and deny them all the right to vote?

Reply Posted by Rubydoo on Saturday March 15 2014 at 08:10
I agree Tom, there are alot of intelligent young people out there, and they are our future.
There are irresponsible people in all age groups.

Reply Posted by Red Optimist on Saturday March 15 2014 at 11:34
Yes. Quite simply, for a whole variety of reasons, 16 is too young. It could also be said that 18 is too young, but I imagine that we are stuck with that.

Reply Posted by SALLY on Sunday March 16 2014 at 16:56
Yes give them the vote. The young are our future teach them well, let them lead the way. IT would be extremely interesting to see how the votes go and how the young of today really feel and become empowered to make a difference in the country. GO FOR IT.

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday March 20 2014 at 23:02
Well, after being in business for a century, for the 1st time ever,I've had a visit from a politician vying for my vote.! UKIP have had a natter! What a refreshing change to actually be approached at all. I'm in shock!

Reply Posted by Whats Occurrin on Tuesday May 12 2015 at 19:01
Judging by most of the naff spelling in the comments posted by the young folk who want the vote....we should probably RAISE the voting age to 25!!!
As for TOM...out ways??? I think you mean outweighs.

Reply Posted by Wild Bill on Thursday December 22 2016 at 14:52