Affordable Housing To Address Shortage Of Properties

Wednesday March 5 2014

AFFORDABLE housing will be bought by Berneslai Homes to address a shortage on the edge of Barnsley town centre.

The council has allocated £15,586 to put towards Berneslai Homes buying five soon-to-completed homes which are part of a 33-house development on the former Moorland Plastics site in Dodworth.

The properties will be acquired for £290,000 and Berneslai Homes has already identified about £275,000 in funding, with the council contribution acting as a top up to meet the total cost.

The council said the Moorland Avenue affordable homes would provide family accommodation in an area of 'significant unmet need'.

Reply Posted by Observer on Wednesday March 5 2014 at 15:27
Will be jnteresting to see who these properties go to.

Reply Posted by Littleoldlady on Wednesday March 5 2014 at 18:49
I will not assume, I will ask why there is a shortage of affordable homes? I eagerly await some form of reply.

Reply Posted by John on Thursday March 6 2014 at 12:17
Because large amounts of social housing was sold off for a fraction of its value through the Right to Buy policy introduced by the government in the eighties.

Reply Posted by sarah on Thursday March 6 2014 at 13:07
my nana and grandad bought their council house in 1978. I believe one of the reasons could be that people dont want to move into particular areas so the list becomes longer in certain areas and people from outside the area are offered the ones in the other areas.

Reply Posted by Rodge on Thursday March 6 2014 at 20:41
58 thousand must be way below market value. Can I buy one for this price Gleeson?

Reply Posted by rainbow on Friday March 7 2014 at 10:00
I dare say 5million immigrants coming into the country didn't do much for the shortage of houses.???