Barnsley Chippy Named Best In South Yorkshire

Friday March 7 2014

A BARNSLEY fish and chip shop has been named the best chippy in South Yorkshire by the Potato Council.

The Codfather, on Laithes Lane, New Lodge, scooped the South Yorkshire prize and was runner-up in the Yorkshire and Humber region during the awards to mark National Chip Week.

Owner Ilham Shamchiyev grew up in Azerbaijan and had never even tried fish and chips until he moved to Barnsley in 2001.

"I'd never heard of it," admitted Ilham. "I remember walking past a chippy in Barnsley and seeing something orange behind the glass. I walked in and asked 'what's that?'

"It was a fish."

He ended up working in several takeaways before setting up his own business, which he has run for seven years.

Ilham - who eats fish and chips most days - says the secret to his success is fresh produce and the fact he changes the frying oil daily.

"I worked in one chippy where the oil got changed every three months, but we do it every single day," he added.

"It's so much better that way as it's fresher and healthier for customers. You can taste the difference."

The Codfather employs five staff and Ilham is in the process of setting up another branch n Wakefield.

Reply Posted by Jack on Friday March 7 2014 at 15:23
Been in once. Never again. Where these ratings come from I have no idea. Tasteless.

Reply Posted by Sally on Friday March 7 2014 at 15:28
Best chippy ever! Never had a bad meal, staff always polite. Love it!

Reply Posted by @ sally on Friday March 7 2014 at 17:22
i couldnt agree more sally, they are best fish and chips barnlsey has to offer.
well done Ilham, you deserve it mate.

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday March 7 2014 at 17:41
Absolutely fantastic chippy, don't eat fish n chips that much but the few to.as I Have been it's been lovely, staff are lovely, polite and @jack don't know how you can say it was tasteless must have been your portion because no one has every complained but you

Reply Posted by margaret partridge on Friday March 7 2014 at 18:06
I must admit, i hardly ever eat fish and chips, but codfathers are the best i have ever tasted , i am 74years young., wonderful!! I could eat them every day and not get fed up with them,

Reply Posted by zoe marshall on Friday March 7 2014 at 18:27
Best fich and chip ever I go from cudworth to get ther all day special lv it and good for monmy

Reply Posted by LOL on Saturday March 8 2014 at 12:13
Our lass would go there every day if I let her. Best fish n chips in tarn! I have had to put my foot darn cos our lass is a big girl. She was a size 16 when I married her and she is size 26 now!

Reply Posted by lauren on Saturday March 8 2014 at 17:30
@lol I was a big lass, until I went on Dukan diet, pure protein diet, gone from size 12 to size 8, last was last may.

Reply Posted by Very very tasty on Sunday March 9 2014 at 11:48
Rubbish try the one on saint johns rd Cudworth they are brill

Reply Posted by Ged on Sunday March 9 2014 at 19:42
I agree, St Johns Rd are my favourites, not been to Codfather's but good luck to the chap.

Reply Posted by Jules on Sunday March 9 2014 at 22:34
Codfather is brilliant,manor road fish shop in royston which I think is owned by the cod father team is Absolutey shocking!!!

Reply Posted by Anthony Jarvis-ellis on Tuesday March 18 2014 at 16:31
Never tried them and never will i prefer mine cooked in beef dripping like Chippy Woods in wakefield proper british