Council Awarded £200,000 Bedroom Tax Boost

Wednesday March 5 2014

BARNSLEY Council has been awarded an additional £200,000 from the government to help people pay off rent arrears arising from the 'bedroom tax'.

There are 2,700 in Barnsley affected by the bedroom tax, which is a reduction in the amount of housing benefit people living in social housing receive if they are deemed to have a spare bedroom.

The money will be used to fund the discretionary housing payment - which tenants can apply for when they are struggling to make payments - and is additional to the £364,000 the council has already received for this financial year.

It comes after it emerged that over 250 people in the town received their share of nearly £170,000 after wrongly paying the tax.

Dearne MP John Healey said: "The government should scrap the bedroom tax altogether. It's a cruel and unfair policy that has forced families to use food banks and could end up costing more than it saves."

Reply Posted by Answer for all on Wednesday March 5 2014 at 14:48
what about such as me who's had to beg borrow and some weeks had nothing left just to pay the tax so I wouldn't get evicted I missed the first month and had a knock at door housing manager with eviction notice ever since I was frightened to miss it do I get any money back after a really hard year having to find it even though I owe nothing through been threatened and I'm disabled aswell but that meant nothing they wanted there £20.22 a week :-( not fair on such as me who's been left with 8.00 a week some weeks

Reply Posted by Maria on Wednesday March 5 2014 at 15:33
@answer for all, this money that has been given to Barnsley council, to pay off council tax arrears, if you are in arrears and apply they will pay your BT up until 31st march, but they will not refund any money that has already been paid.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Wednesday March 5 2014 at 20:12
I used to think I was a reasonable educated person. Let's get this right if you've not paid your way has the Goverment has passed laws for. And you don't have money the Goverment will pay it for you. Using other peoples hard worked for cash and struggling themselves.

How the borlicks does that work. I'm baffled

Reply Posted by CONFUSED on Monday March 10 2014 at 08:53
Because the bloody system is broken, nothing for anyone who wants to try and work and work hard. scrounge, toss it off all your life and the State will take care of you, work hard, save for your retirement and the system then takes it off you.

Why should people who have not paid into the system get anything out of it while someone who has saved and worked all their lives can lose their home if they need care in later life while the ones who haven't bothered get the same treatment.

Reply Posted by x on Wednesday March 5 2014 at 20:35
karma springs to mind kfc i can't help but feel angry towards all those fortunate enough to work who came on this site and thought it was fantastic that people less fortunate than ourselves were yet again being punished by this government,i was quite happy for a tiny fraction of my taxes to go towards helping these people but now i will be paying twice with my rent increase,although i work i was one of those against this bedroom tax ,the problem is theyve taken this money from people spent it and now have to pay it back.i said it when all this bedroom tax began and i will say it again they should never have started it in the first place

Reply Posted by rainbow on Friday March 7 2014 at 09:52
Seems sensible to me that a three bedroom house rent will be more than for a two bedroom etc. The problem is not enough single person accommodation for people to move down to. 5 million immigrants coming into the country didn't help either.!

Reply Posted by Paid up on Monday March 10 2014 at 08:54
@maria it's noting to do with council tax !

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Tuesday March 11 2014 at 10:28
Just shows how deluded the Tories really are doesn't it?

so they introduce the bedroom tax to either force people to downsize or make them pay (avg) £14 a week bedroom tax, but then give the council direct funding so people can claim discretionary payments?

Madness!

A complete and utter waste of of time, effort and money..

Idiotic Tory right wing fantasy.

Reply Posted by Very Angry on Wednesday July 30 2014 at 01:09
If like me I bet the people who are struggling to find this money for the so called under occupancy tax find great comfort when they can sit outside the Town Hall and see the waters flowing and the new sculpture. It will have cost an arm and a leg to have that developed, where is the common sense of the people in office surely they do not think this is acceptable in such times as this when working people are struggling let alone the people who need that extra help. I was under the impression that Barnsley was a labour council and there to assist all working class people, strange how they have no problems running brain-dead not in the real world Tory schemes only to make the fat cats fatter.