News » WAB Guides

Council Bin Changes - A WAB Guide

Wednesday February 26 2014

Recycling Changes Recycling Changes

SWATHING changes to the council's recycling service are coming into effect next week - but many locals have been left confused by the change.

We've been contacted by scores of WABers asking us to write a guide to make it easier to understand.

Here's what's happening in a nutshell:

* All residents should now have received a white sack in preparation for the changes which come in on Tuesday (March 4).

* The changes have come about due to a change in government legistlation that prevents the council from collecting garden waste and cardboard in the same bin - this is to tighten up the quality of composting waste.

* From Tuesday, cardboard will no longer be allowed in a green bin. It will be collected in a blue recycling bin with paper collected in a white recycling bag.

* The recycling collection will now occur on a four-week rota as opposed to a two-week one.

* If you only use your green bin for cardboard you can ask the council to remove the unwanted bin for you.

* Collection dates may have changed - new calenders will be provided to residents.
Grey bins (household waste) - remains fortnightly
Green bins (garden waste) – fortnightly up to winter, then four-weekly
Brown bins (glass and plastic) – four-weekly
Blue bins (cardboard only) – four-weekly
White bag (paper) - four-weekly

* Many locals have threatened not to use the recycling bins due to the confusion - WAB asked if this would be more costly on the taxpayer in the long run. It will. The cost of disposing of waste in grey bins costs 17 times more per year that it does to take recycled waste (£52 per household per year).

* There is a delay in delivering additional recycling bins - due to demand the council say these may not be with you until end April. Until then, you can put additional recycling bags out with your bins and they will be collected.

We unfortunately cannot let you know your individual collection days as they vary so massively from postcode to postcode.

However, the council promises to update its website with information here.

Reply Posted by Collet on Wednesday February 26 2014 at 18:05
Can we get bigger brown bins because mine gets full to the brim in less than a fortnight ??, or the over spill will go into the Grey Bin.

Reply Posted by Leah on Wednesday February 26 2014 at 18:10
Yes Colette I got on just email WasteManagement@barnsley.gov.uk

Reply Posted by Nicola on Wednesday February 26 2014 at 18:13
You can ave as many recycling bins you want I got two brown big bins

Reply Posted by mark on Wednesday February 26 2014 at 19:03
does anyone know is this change for everyone? because i have not received any leaflets as stated on the council's website or a new paper recycling bag.

Reply Posted by Ged on Wednesday February 26 2014 at 19:29
My elderly mother doesn't have the room for another bin, can she use the blue bag for cardboard and still use the green tub for her bottles and plastic?

Reply Posted by mebinsfull on Wednesday February 26 2014 at 19:38
garden rubbish in the green bin, and everything else in the grey bin..... simples

Reply Posted by TheWalrus on Wednesday February 26 2014 at 20:09
The changes to the legislation have nothing to do with newspaper so why the silly white sack? We generate enough newspapers to fill it every week so may as well just use the grey bin and sling the sack. Totally counter productive, and they don't bother replying to email. If you have the nerve to ring, some bored snotty woman speaks to you like you're an idiot, despite the leaflet being wrong.

Reply Posted by terry on Wednesday February 26 2014 at 20:18
Been doing this for weeks now can honestly say I've thrown more recycling stuff in grey bin than I've recycled due to only been emtyed monthly

Reply Posted by Dave on Thursday February 27 2014 at 07:50
Like TheWalrus I also generate a lot of newspapers and also shredded paper. I have emailed BMBC to ask if we can have two white sacks and if the operators will actually empty more that one sack from a household. To date all I have received is a generic acknowledgement email. Communication between Waste Management and customers is just about non existent.

Reply Posted by donna on Thursday February 27 2014 at 09:36
Due to the lack of common sense by the waste management team.

1st day if was horrendous wet weather and the bag got soaked. so no way was going to bring back in the house. I live in a small terrace property with no garden so never use the green bin and the blue bin always got used..

Me and most of my neighbours have put the white bag in the grey bin along with any paper.

Reply Posted by Crazy Dave on Thursday February 27 2014 at 10:19
Garden incinerator frumt towd bnq £35 notes, no more rubbish, no more paper stick yer recycling where sun dunt shine Barnsley council.

Reply Posted by sally on Thursday February 27 2014 at 10:21
I for one am not keeping the white bag in my home. The winds we had my bins and bags were all over the garden. The bag was just a wet sodden mess. I will use it for now, but then when its raining its heavier to pick up. Think I will go back to using the supermarket bins. Can call there anytime and rubbish does not build up.

Reply Posted by DJ on Thursday February 27 2014 at 17:31
Not only have we NOT had the leaflet, the white bag has not been delivered yet.....Why do we even need it......having visited a recycling centre once the paper gets there along with the carboard get piled into one corner and mixed up.....before it gets boiled together...summat not right here

Reply Posted by sparky on Friday February 28 2014 at 16:58
oh thats good now we can use the green bin all year round does this mean i can still cut my grass when it has snowed and our all thinking council have thought this through i think not sounds like another jobsworth idea !

Reply Posted by kerry on Monday March 3 2014 at 13:23
The brown bins and blue bins aint bigger though got ours friday and they r the same size and leaflet we got means collection day had h
Changed and other says grey bin will be emptied every week for first 3 weeks ?????

Reply Posted by Dave on Monday March 3 2014 at 13:29
I live on Wakefield road and I have not seen a white sack or a leaflet yet.

How can they be starting this if they have not told everyone?

Reply Posted by anon on Monday March 3 2014 at 13:59
So our white bag gets wet? where do people without a garage or outbuilding keep it? Bins are bad enough blowing in the street a empty.bag will have gone?

Reply Posted by John on Monday March 3 2014 at 15:37
There is no way to identify who white bins belong to. So when they are emptied from a central point in the street how do the bin men know which is which. We were told they would be put in the other bin when it's emptied. It's a load of rubbish, pardon the pun. A money saving exercise designed to force people to make their own arrangements for recycling or more likely not bother. My newspapers etc. will go in grey bin. Simples.

Reply Posted by chris on Monday March 3 2014 at 15:38
It’s quite clear from all the different posts on WAB that not everyone has the same recycling requirements.

Why can’t we nominate the green bin as either garden waste or cardboard, according to our needs? The people using it for cardboard can then still use the blue bin for paper.

Why didn't Waste Management get our views on recycling before this initiative started?

Reply Posted by elliejoe on Monday March 3 2014 at 15:47
I am not against the change to waste management collection,
The thing that annoys me is they should have made sure that the extra bins needed should have been delivered before the new collection days were started, because from the first mention of a change they have had time enough to get them delivered.

Reply Posted by Helen on Monday March 3 2014 at 16:16
I received my white bag and new bigger brown bin but after requesting it twice I am still waiting for a blue bin. I currently use my green bin for cardboard so what do they propose I do when they don't deliver? Like Crazy Dave said, I think it'll be an incinerator job and any letters of complaint from the council will be the first things burnt

Reply Posted by Dj on Monday March 3 2014 at 16:33
Which bin for tins ???

Reply Posted by Steph on Tuesday March 4 2014 at 08:17
We changed before xmas, this week we have changed days of each bin and majority have wrong bin out. Im having to go 5 weeks before brown bin emptied yet grey bin being emptied every week for 4 weeks. No prizes for guessing the contents of my grey bin today!! What a way to discouarge recycling and confuse everyone!!

Reply Posted by Dan on Friday March 7 2014 at 19:26
Do they know the REAL REASON of recycling ? It seams they don't care are the bin men going to be on short time in the winter Ha yes that's what it's all about!

Reply Posted by MARY SWIFT on Thursday April 10 2014 at 18:26
what a waste of time and money the white bag is useless no good it being bigger as I would not be able to lift it , no need for me to go on it's all been said my white bag was full in less than a week , some of us can read and take 2 papers daily bring back the blue bin please my paper now go in the grey bin , I was a fanatic at recycling not any more go on back to the drawing board and cost us more wasted money .

Reply Posted by Aileen Cheetham on Sunday July 20 2014 at 14:14
This roll out has been a confusing mess.
I also think a BIN for paper would have been better than a bag. especially as no one got a bag, even a smaller bin would do.

Reply Posted by Ell on Thursday April 14 2016 at 18:52
I moved into my house in October my green bin is split down both sides will I get a replacement ?