Help Requested For Stairfoot Boy

Thursday February 16 2012

SECOND hand sports kit is being sought for a young Barnsley lad who lost both his parents last year.

The 12-year-old, from Stairfoot, now lives with his grandfather and has joined the Faith In Football team which meets in Kendray.

Mike Mather, his mentor, said: "This lad has had it tough - he was going off the rails a bit but his granddad is using football as a reward and he's really improving.

"The problem is that he didn't want to come in the first place, he was a bit embarrassed because a lot of the other kids have top of the line trainers and his have holes in.

"We'd be grateful for any help for this lad at all, some trainers would do him - I'm sure there's lots of folk out there with kids who have grown out of stuff and we'd really appreciate some help for him. He'd appreciate anything that hasn't got holes in I think because he's at that age where he notices stuff like that and I think he was a bit embarrassed."

The boy is a shoe size 5.5 and is needing some shoes suitable for astro-turf. He would also appreciate any sports kit, tracksuits.

Anyone who can help please contact Mike here.

Reply Posted by Helton1961 on Thursday February 16 2012 at 09:56
Good luck to the lad, i hope the barnsley folk do him proud....

Reply Posted by Janey7068 on Thursday February 16 2012 at 10:42
does anyone who managers at any local sports shops ...wonder if they would be happy to donate ??   just an idea

Reply Posted by Bambihotel on Thursday February 16 2012 at 10:48
i'm willing to give 2 nights bed and breakfast at my hotel for 2 people to be raffled off of this will get some cash for the lad to get a kit xx

Reply Posted by Julie on Thursday February 16 2012 at 12:49
I would be more than happy to buy him some astro turf trainers. I will supply my details to We Are Barnsley so we can sort this out.

Reply Posted by Tony on Thursday February 16 2012 at 16:17
When my wife died thro child birth people donated stuff to me so I would be happy to buy lad a tracksuit .....

Reply Posted by Lindseywilmot on Thursday February 16 2012 at 16:21
How would I go about helping?. I would like to get the lad a gift card for soccer sports, so that he could choose something himself.

Reply Posted by Rob4soccer on Thursday February 16 2012 at 16:31
I'm a very respected football/soccer trainer and role model in the US. Born in Wakefield and Barnsley fan through and through.
Shame we couldn't get him out here for a week or two.

Reply Posted by Bfchrisfoster on Thursday February 16 2012 at 18:03
I've got some boots and trainers that have hardly been used - they were going on ebay but you are more than welcome to them - let me know where they need to go. Thanks Chris

Reply Posted by tracey Butters Thompson on Thursday February 16 2012 at 22:29