Youth Club Scales Down After Funding Axe

Wednesday February 26 2014

The youth club is popular The youth club is popular

A BARNSLEY youth club has had to cut the number of nights it opens and rely on staff who have lost their jobs to continue as volunteers after its funding was axed.

Gr8 M8s, in Thurnscoe, has lost lottery funding which means project manager, Ian Ball, and assistant Wendy Cuthbert have lost their jobs - but both have agreed to stay on as volunteers.

Ian said the group is now looking for alternative funding and more volunteers and added that it has had to cut the number of nights it opens.

Reply Posted by thurnscoelad on Wednesday February 26 2014 at 11:24
It's a shame that the project manager turned down the offer of a qualified, very experienced, local youth worker to work as a volunteer. He said that he didn't need one! Felt threatened I think.
The work that they do is great there, shame about the other aspects of it. But even the council clubs are struggling and closing. Having worked at D-Mob in Darfield and other non council groups across the area I know that most funding providers are aware that these type of youth groups/clubs are old news. Most funds are lokking at new innovative ideas to fund.
Perhaps it'd be time to rebrand or rethink formats and concept.

Reply Posted by wendy cuthbert on Friday February 28 2014 at 06:19
where do I begin! For a start we haven't lost our funding because your mate doesn't work there, our volunteers are a fantastic group of people who give up a lot of their time to be there for the youngsters of Thurnscoe and the surrounding villages. We are always asking for new volunteers so I can't imagine we would turn one away without having good reason.
gr8 m8s is not old news, we do what the kids want to do whenever possible and we are always trying to think of new ways to enrich their lives.

The other people who have posted a comment are mostly young people who came through our doors as children and feel passionate enough to keep on coming as they become adults because they know the positive effect it has had on their lives.
We have provided training opportunities to help people to get jobs, not only for the kids but for the volunteers too.
I know! we will close down and let the kids (sometimes 60 a night) hang about on the street corners and then you can moan about that instead.
P.s I bet you're not even from Thurnscoe because you haven't got the balls to post with a real name and if you think you can do better why don't you come down and help out instead of hiding behind a keyboard

Reply Posted by Supporter on Wednesday February 26 2014 at 21:53
Just for your information 'thurnscoelad' the youth club has been doing absolutely fine, and whenever this youth worker came in if they actually did I can't see them being turned away, I don't think the place should be looking at rethinking as it is fine the way it is, it didn't get refunded fair enough but that isn't to say we won't! It would help though if people from the local community like yourself were supporting and helping instead of writing things like you have, support and community is all this place needs. Try it! Besides a few people like yourself the whole community and parents are being brilliant! For anyone reading help and support the youth club in thurnscoe, what else are 6-19 year olds going to do! Thurnscoe would be a completely different place without it! Thanks!

Reply Posted by Jordan elwell on Thursday February 27 2014 at 12:09
The club would never think of turning any volunteer away, we're always looking for new ones. Especially ones that are qualified! We love running the club for the young people of thurnscoe and people try and pull is down. Yes we have just lost our funding but we are trying our hardest to keep the club going. It's the only thing thurnscoe has left to keep them occupied. I would like who ever has posted the above comment to come foreword with their name and not backstab us If your not willing to do so. This was pointless bringing us down! Shane on you!

Reply Posted by Lizzie Grainger on Thursday February 27 2014 at 17:40
Ian (the project manager) would never actually turn anyone away, qualified or not qualified..... think youve only said one thing their thats correct within your pittyful comment "The work that they do is great" although i would like to know what you mean by "shame about the other aspects of it" you have no idea what your talking about, like Jordan said all people like you do is backstab the club and not even have the decency to reveal your identity... maybe you should come see for your self what we do with the kids and how hard we all try to get fundraising in while making sure we go on trips have supplies in for the kids.... if youth club closed theirs nothing going to be left in thurnscoe, the youth clubs been going on 30+ years and kept alot of children out of trouble.... i dont understand how you can slate it off when you dont actually know what goes off... and how can you go on someone elses word that theyve been turned away? Unless it was you who got turned away which i cant see happening.....

Reply Posted by Tyler Parkin on Thursday February 27 2014 at 17:46
Dear 'thurnscoelad', due to your recent comment about GR8 M8's I would like to understand how a 'qualified, very experienced, local youth worker' could say these things to bring another youth club down. You are obviously speaking about yourself as you would think that 'the project manager turned down the offer', of yourself becoming a volunteer. If this is not the case and you was speaking of someone else, then everything you hear, in your world, must be true. I also wish to understand what you meant by writing, 'shame about the other aspects of it', as I am struggling to understand what you are implying. In addition to this, if yourself was a 'very experienced' youth worker, then you would understand how difficult it is to find volunteers. Youth clubs, like GR8 M8's, would never turn volunteers away. If this wasn't the case and GR8 M8's turned away volunteers, the place would be left with only paid workers. This would result in the club shutting down a long time ago. Since the club has quite a few volunteers, it has been running very smoothly and still going strong. If you believe that 'funding providers are aware that these type of youth groups/clubs are old news', then why did you waste your time commenting on this article when you could have been thinking of 'new innovative ideas'
I believe that I have said my peace, and would like to thank the support that the club has been getting. I just hope that the club will continue to stay as strong as the positive feedback the club has recieved in the past.

Reply Posted by Gaynor Coulthard on Thursday February 27 2014 at 18:00
Shame on anyone who pulls any youth club down,gr8 m8s has been an inspiration to my children over the past few years, it's made them join in new activities which they wouldn't normally do and it has given them social confidence. The staff and volunteers have made me feel secure when my children have been there as they are very close knit and helpful. It's a crying shame that there is no funding this year but fingers crossed that something turns up x

Reply Posted by Kim Douthwaite on Thursday February 27 2014 at 18:03
It's a shame to hear this about the youth club as I've heard nothing but positive things. I don't believe Ian would ever turn away help. Personally I saw no need to belittle the club in the manner 'thurnscoelad' did, just no need. It's such a great place and I know that they do so much to make the local community better.

Reply Posted by Lizzie Grainger on Thursday February 27 2014 at 18:14
Its like Tyler said were always looking for volunteers and we'd never turn anyone away.... personally these' new innovate ideas' that thurnscoelad is on about will probably be something pointless that the children wont even use or get destroyed, at least with GR8 M8S you know your children and safe and in good hands, building confidence making friends and having fun, to me its a joy seeing smiles on the childrens face as they leave... thuenscoelad try giving some of your free time before you judge us, or perhaps dig deep and donate...

Reply Posted by Vicky Mckenning on Thursday February 27 2014 at 19:47
To the thurnscoe lad your comment was rubbish I am a trustee and chairperson of the youth GR8 M8S and they do a fabulous job with the kids of thurnscoe and both ian and wendy have devoted their time and energy with the youth,so if you feel you are good enough come forward and show your true worth I dare you.

Reply Posted by Scott on Thursday February 27 2014 at 20:20
I used to go to this youth club when I was a young lad it was a brilliant building and stil is my lil brother who now goes to GR8 M8S loves the place Ian, Wendy and all the others too many to name are doing a brilliant when my brother found out they was cutting the nights he was gutted he's made loads of new friends I really they get the funding to open all the nights they used to a lot of children in the area would be very happy

Reply Posted by Supporter aka Nicole smith on Thursday February 27 2014 at 20:29
As I posted earlier this 'lad' clearly has no clue, I am just so pleased that everyone has the same opinion as me! We need this man naming and shaming who does he think he is! Slating our youth club! When all everyone else says is how brilliant it is! GR8 M8's youth club is the best around we do everything the kids want and it's just upsetting to see how some people react! But everyone who is supporting us thank you!

Reply Posted by karen on Friday February 28 2014 at 06:55
I do not live in thurnscoe and my kids do not use the youth club but I know the people that run this club do the very best they can for the kids of this area and as for slating Ian (my brother off ) how dare u he is one of the most caring loving and honest people I know they stand out in all weather to fundraise for the ppl that use this club and give up all there spare time more than there paid for so b4 you open your mouth again thurnscoelad get ur facts right .

Reply Posted by Jo C - youth worker (29) on Monday March 3 2014 at 19:31
Ive just been told about this post and I am the youthworker thurncoelad is talking about. Ian was approached by Myself, the project lead at the college I was working with, the community Partnership at Wombwell, and also the volunteers of a youth group I ran I Darfield. They as well as myself were turned away, as he felt that too much control could or would be lost. There are others that will verify this. So no amount of committee talk will wash with me. Perhaps it's was never brought up with you!

If the post is read correct, not once does it degrade or belittle what is done at that youth club or at any infact. What it does is highlight some reasons that funding sources are not funding places that have been funded previously. I, myself know that funders are getting 'picky' about projects they fund,aiming to get best value for money in a environment now where money is scarce. Also funding is about publicity too, so they must look good.
The guy that wrote that post is actually a very successful project manager for a rather large charitable trust specialising in working with young people (11-19yrs) One or two things too he's a guy that has lived in thurnscoe since he was three, his family ran a very successful business that started in thurnscoe and has since moved on.
And before any of you have a go at me, I now work in a secondary school in West Yorkshire, providing education to disengaged students to reintegrate them in main stream education.
I may not live in Thurnscoe, but if people are behind this then long will it continue, however if funding does need to be sought then sometimes you have to look at what the group is doing, how it's done and if the group could meet more of the criteria for funding by adapting. For Example Anti social behavior is one of the 'biggies' as well as community engagement projects now have to look at the bigger wider picture not just at what they do. Things have changed drastically in the last few years. Projects that were being Funded have lost it, places have closed despite everyone's efforts, and no one wants it, but it's happening. Groups are having to fight for every penny, to stay open, to keep doing what they do, we all understand that.

Reply Posted by Nick on Monday March 3 2014 at 19:39
Rather that having a pop at someone merely offering advice by the looks of things can someone actually tell us when they are open or give me a contact number?
I have driven up there couple of evenings and it's been shut up.
I'd like to try and see if I can volunteer or help on anyway.

Reply Posted by Jordan on Monday March 3 2014 at 23:37
As you can se we are very protective over the project and our manager! Fair enough if you did get turned away and it wasn't brought to the committee. The project is open Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday there is someone in the building from around 2:30pm on those days and the contact number is 01709 894888 please in future if you have any problems come directly to us at the project and not post it on a post like this! It's very un professional as a youth worker yourself and if you are successful you should know! We're always happy to help :)

Reply Posted by Nick on Tuesday March 4 2014 at 00:07
Jordan, I'm somewhat confused about who youre aiming your post at. These pages are designed for people to see these things. I don't think it matters what the posts say before, surely the fact I've posted and asked the question should matter more.

Reply Posted by Jack Hughes on Saturday March 8 2014 at 13:53
I was a child at this project and it gave me confidence and also provide me with life long experiences that not many young children in or around this area get. I am also not from thurnscoe but my area ( Bolton on dearne ) does not provide a service like this project does to thurnscoe. It also provides a lot of different qualifications and awards for children which help the in the future , I know this as this is my eleventh year at this project and now a volunteer as well as in full time work. I volunteer and dedicate all my spare time as I feel I should put something back to the next generation of young people, as the project helped me. If I wasn't for the project and also Ian ball (project manager) I wouldn't be the same person I am today, I have seen Ian help many people change their life's for the good I was one of them! He does this as he has soo much passion for the work that he is in and I will be following in his footsteps someday. We always appreciate help and would never turn someone away like your self " joe c" but if you wanted to help that much you would have come down to the project and shown your face and introduced yourself to the volunteers and workers we would have gladly welcomed you to the place. "Joe c" I also respect what your saying with funders and what they look for in a project but in the last 12 months we have changed as a project we engage with different projects and also the community, we listen to what the children want and meet all criterias but sometimes that's not good enough. " thurnscoe lad " their was only one good thing in your comment the rest was a load of rubbish I personally think you should take some tips of " joe c "

If anyone wants to help or provide us with more information on funders please call on 01709 894888 or vist us on Tuesday Wednesday or Thursday between 2.30 pm an 9.00 pm