News » WAB Debate

Can The Reds Escape Relegation? A WAB Debate

Tuesday April 1 2014

Danny Wilson Danny Wilson

THE Reds' reputation as 'great escape' specialists may well be justified, but how confident are you of the team securing survival this season? We'd love to hear your thoughts.

Barnsley's survival hopes have been handed a major boost thanks to back-to-back wins against Reading and Yeovil, with a crucial game against Charlton coming up on April 15.

Last season's remarkable recovery - which saw the club amass 34 points from New Year's Day onwards - still lives fondly in the memories of every Barnsley supporter, but is the belief of staving off relegation there this time round?

Ever since the 2006/07 season, the Reds have proved to be the Championship's greatest escapologists. Every game from here on in is vital, but has Saturday's 5-0 demolition at the hands of Huddersfield Town dampened fans' confidence?

"I am optimistic," said manager Danny Wilson. "I truly believe there will be some key moments in the next few games that turn our season around.

"It's more than realistic that we can stay up, but it's a tough challenge because it's a tough league."

We want to know what you - the fans - think of Barnsley's chances of survival. Do you share Wilson's optimism? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by Observer on Friday February 28 2014 at 07:21
I hope so. But for me flitcroft should have been sacked a lkng time before he was. I would say after the first two games we were 7 goals against. He should have gone then. Ok he kept us up last season. Just ! Had peterborough won all the effort of gaining points would not have mattered. The demise of bfc came when the implimentation of hill arrived. Disaster. I think we have the right man at the helm now. It may be too late to save us. He has brought some good players in. But we need the team to gel . My only greivance with wilson is why doesnt he play the polish wizzard. And paddy. It has been raised about paddys fitnessss level. But he is selected to play for his country ?? I think we are nearly there. We have turned a corner we are conceding less goals. We need to be firmer in the midfield, and not allow teams to come at us why is this happening ??? I like the way wilson plans to what were going to do. And not what we might have done to us. Flitrofts theory was this. So negative !! Again we have another niggly terrier in the division in yeovil. As were posh last season. We need them destrying. Come on you reds. Lets do it. Please.

Reply Posted by Tommy must play on Monday March 3 2014 at 04:12
I really hope so. But that will probably mean Cwyka needs more game time, he is the player that can make thinks happen and O'Brien is the player that will work his socks off yet these two seem not to be the first names on the team sheet for some reason. Dawson is better than Frimpong in every way - he may be our undoing.

Jennings is coming good and Mellis looks well again.
Cywka O'Brien Mellis Jennings Midfield (Not Frimpong)
I hope that Liverpool lad can play left back when he is fit.

We were terrible against Hudd, stopped playing after they scored the first

Reply Posted by rainbow on Monday March 3 2014 at 11:08
The Reds can't win a point away, there not much better at home, look at the fixtures and be realistic, the writings on the wall, it's all over bar the shouting.!!

Reply Posted by Ged on Monday March 3 2014 at 12:17
Question should be. Do they want to stay up ?

Reply Posted by Ernest Ramsbottom on Monday March 3 2014 at 15:46
The fact we have only been able to win 5 games all season in the league answers this debate ... WE ARE DOOMED !! I honestly though Wilson would turn us around ... Look where we are! We are starting to turn into the leagues whipping boys !!

Reply Posted by Observer on Wednesday March 5 2014 at 15:45
I have had it told to me before that it is a plan to go down. A plan by bfc. When you look at things. We would have a couple of derbies should we be playing rotherham. And the blunts. If it indeed is a llan. I dont want any part of it. Whats to say we wouldnt go further down the league.

Reply Posted by tom in tom out on Sunday March 16 2014 at 18:47
Drop Kennedy!!
He puts the defence under pressure. He can't defend. If you look at the goals we concede they usually start while trying to attack and TK gives the ball away.

As far as attacking goes:
Start Cywka - he is the answer

If these two key issues are not addressed we have no hope.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Sunday March 16 2014 at 20:02
The Championship is too big for Barnsley with its current squad and Budget sad but true.

Reply Posted by W11 on Tuesday April 1 2014 at 01:17
Cywka starts for two games on the bounce, we win two games on the bounce. Nice to see RNL in the mix. Finally realising the answers were on the bench

Reply Posted by True Try on Tuesday April 1 2014 at 16:59
It will be hard to stop up but it is a uphill task I feel that Danny has unfinished business with Barnsley and if we do go down I think he is the manager to rebuild the reds into a football team that is worthy of putting on the red colours of Barnsley but we need a cash injection where this is going to come from I have know idea anyways up or down I would still support the tarn

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Tuesday April 1 2014 at 19:00
lets see what happens tonight with charlton,then we will beat brighton saturday you lot are so negative.we aint down yet forth from bottom will do nicely wont it.

Reply Posted by Collet on Friday April 4 2014 at 18:25
If all the other teams above Barnsley don't win there remaining games and the Tarn don't win thers,they go down,Simple,?