300 Barnsley Families Set To Lose Thousands In Tax Credits

Wednesday February 15 2012

Dan Jarvis MP Dan Jarvis MP

CHANGES to the way tax credits are handed out is to see more than 300 couples in Barnsley lose up to £4,000-a-year , an MP has warned.

Barnsley Central MP Dan Jarvis said from April 6 the changes will take come into play which will affect local couples who are in part-time work and have children.

The new rules introduced by the government means that couples that earn less than £17,700 will need to increase the number of hours they work from a minimum of 16 to 24 hours per week or they will lose all their working tax credit of £3,870 per year.

Dan added: "I believe this is deeply unfair and proves, yet again, that the government are out of touch with parents feeling the squeeze and struggling to juggle work and family life.

“For a couple with children losing around £4,000 a year, or £75 a week, renders going out to work, pointless. Unless the government see sense, it means that over 300 households in Barnsley, now have just eight weeks to find additional hours at work or it means going out to work won’t pay and they’ll be better off on benefits. That makes no economic sense at all.”

Will you be affected by this change? What do you think?

Reply Posted by Jorb39 on Wednesday February 15 2012 at 11:23
This government are the most repulsive bunch they make Margert Thatcher look like a leftie. Liberals should bow their heads in shame. People who are at least trying to work for a living should be encouraged to do so. As a manager of staff I have not got the money to increase part tome workers hours to meet the new rules. Shame on you so called anti scroungers

Reply Posted by Pyne Tracey on Wednesday February 15 2012 at 11:24
does this relte to a single mum with one child does she need to put her hours up too

Reply Posted by The_grump on Wednesday February 15 2012 at 11:26
David Cameron what a twat.

Reply Posted by Angela on Wednesday February 15 2012 at 11:50
many part-time workers will just pack in their jobs if they carnt get more hours ...and lets face it in the current climate there are not many employers who can offer more hours .....so all that wasted effort in finding a job instead of doing nothing is not rewarded in anyway....instead it seems the system is saying ...don.t bother because you.d be better off on benefits.....!!! thought the torys were supposed to be intelligent....the truth is that tey fail to understand how benefits and tax credits actually work ......!!

Reply Posted by Bethsefton on Wednesday February 15 2012 at 12:38
You will need to check your own circumstances yourself but as I understand it from what I've read single parents will not be affected. It reads to me like this will affect those who work 16 hours per week between them as a couple. The way this article reads is slightly misleading (not WAB's fault they report what's been released) because if they aren't eligible for tax credits they will be eligile for something else they aren't just taking £4k off people and leaving them to it.

Reply Posted by Guest on Wednesday February 15 2012 at 13:22
 Tony Blair / Gordon Brown where even worse - Thats why the country is in so much debt !!

Reply Posted by Guest on Wednesday February 15 2012 at 13:23
 If you walk out of a job - you can not claim any benefits for 26 weeks..

Reply Posted by Heather on Wednesday February 15 2012 at 13:24
 Shame on LABOUR for getting the country in so much debt !!

Reply Posted by Trev on Wednesday February 15 2012 at 13:25
 Yea Jorb, if you don't like the government, you are always welcome to move to Greece

Reply Posted by Lynsey on Wednesday February 15 2012 at 13:57
I am probably going to get shot down for this but hey ho its my opinion. The 16 hour ruling has been abused for many years with families opting to work the minimum wherever possible as they know they will get additional tax credits so why go out and work for it when the gov. will pay you to stay at home for the majority of the week. I know many couples where this is the case, they work the minimum amount of hours possible as working any additional has been of no benefit as tax credits boost their income - the reality is now whilst these couples have chosen to live this way many employers can not/will not offer additional hours so they find themselves in this position. I am not tarring everyone with the same brush but if they had not chosen to live by this ruling they would not be in this position now! - I find it amusing how people like this will state people on benefits are scroungers etc when they are relying themselves on the gov. and other tax payers to supplement their income and in some cases they receive more per annum than people on benefits.

Reply Posted by Ryan Collette Derbyshire on Wednesday February 15 2012 at 17:40
trev a think if most of us if we had the money to move abroad  we wud cos it stinks   but hardly any1 can afford to

Reply Posted by Ellenbunds on Wednesday February 15 2012 at 19:11
i currently work 40 hours a week and am a mum of 4 kids and my wage is still only 15k a year and my contract runs out in july so i am looking for work now as i don't want to be on the dole in 5 months time. i won't be looking for part time as its just not beneficial for my family and i for one cannot afford to lose any money in this economic climate!

Reply Posted by The_grump on Thursday February 16 2012 at 08:28
Oh yeah I agree with that, but thus far cameron and the non liberals have done very little to reduce the debt, cut a lot but the borrowing is still rising. Plus we have double the debt to pay as we bailed out the banks.

Reply Posted by Lou on Thursday February 16 2012 at 08:57
i have mixed views,a lot of people will probably leave work because i would imagine that a lot of employers cant afford to give extra hours out,but i also assume that if you carry on working 16hrs the goeverment will have to give you some other type of benefit so you have money to live on ,ie housing benefit.but in another way i am glad they changing it why should someone working 16 hrs end up with the same income as many families like mine where my husband works 40 hrs a week but gets a really rubbish wage and i also work part time around the kids as i dont have any child care paid for. we end up with barely enough to live on, as we have full rent ,full council tax etc, but not quite little enough to be entitled to any kind of help. i know a lot of families in the same situation as mine and we are barely scraping by.

Reply Posted by Lou on Thursday February 16 2012 at 08:57

Reply Posted by Jacqui Broadrick on Thursday February 16 2012 at 09:17
I will lose mine! I've asked my boses for extra hours an they can't give them to me. I've applied for job after job and been turned down. I have only a couple of weeks to get just 7 extra hours a week or we loose out tax credits. We won't be able to stay afloat. People have asked why don't I just go on benefits but I like knowing that I have earned at least some of the money we live on.
I really don't know what we're going to do. It's really stressing me out. It just doesn't make sense to me. We need to work more hours to get our benefits but there still isn't any jobs. What can we do?

Reply Posted by Jo on Thursday February 16 2012 at 09:32
Its probably to cover the increase on the tax band. They say u will b able to earn more before u get taxed, but they wud av to make cuts elsewhere to ne viable. For instance if u r part time an earn less than 10k ( the allowance the lib dems mentioned) u wouldn't pay tax at all. But no way in this economic climate could they increase the earnings tax band and continue to pay out high sums in tax credits.

Reply Posted by The_grump on Thursday February 16 2012 at 09:37
Shame on Labour? I'm not a fan of labour or the tories, but thus far the the tory government cuts have done nothing to stem the tide of debt, uk borrowing has INCREASED under the tories.

These and the NHS reforms are the tory agenda of breaking up the welfare state. the NHS will be cut up and sold to the tory associates of which tory mps will be on boards.  Labour did cause us a load of debt the last time but it was in response to the last record high unemployment following the last tory feed the rich spell. Selling of uk public assets to fat cat bosses with only profin mind.

Reply Posted by Mands on Thursday February 16 2012 at 10:18
If you're single and responsible for at least one child, you can still claim working tax credit if you work 16 hours. The rise in hours only applies to couples. I just checked that on the directgov website.

Reply Posted by Tee on Monday February 27 2012 at 11:54
 you wouldnt be better off on beefits either. its all a mess. what about people who are carers. they can wrk 16hrs and no more. so if you have to wrk 24 they will loose carers which in turn questions the disabled person they are caring for. These people at the top dont care about us normal people. We dont earn £100,000+ per year!!! We wish ey?! They havent got a clue!!!!

Reply Posted by Cdgreeen1983 on Monday February 27 2012 at 12:15
im part of a couple my partners work 40 hours a week and i stay at home with my baby i have 2 other children as well will we lose tax creds as i cant follow the  new guidlines lol as diff stories from diff websites

Reply Posted by Cdgreeen1983 on Monday February 27 2012 at 12:15

Reply Posted by Gingersnap on Monday February 27 2012 at 18:19
Hi I am in same boat, married with 3 kids and now the little we got in tax credits. (30 a month) is going. Maybe I should be single, work the minimum amount of hours and then live with my partner on the sly, claim loads of benefits then fiddle hubbys books and moan about how the country owes us a living..........ho hummmm

Reply Posted by Gingersnap on Monday February 27 2012 at 18:21
Totally agree about the work shirkers. 16 hours and no more!!!! Its a joke.

Reply Posted by Linzinewton28 on Thursday April 12 2012 at 10:28
we have lost out!! my hubby increase hours but we lose on other things so its a no help situation!!

Reply Posted by Lilmissveed on Thursday April 12 2012 at 10:34
This is just going to encourage people to stop working and claim benefits! Bloody stupid idea!!!

Reply Posted by Kersh01 on Thursday April 12 2012 at 20:32
Up yours Cameron try living in the real world.

Reply Posted by Annetteperry91 on Friday April 13 2012 at 07:17
I think its wrong we got 4 kids to provide for and we are 80 pound a week down do they even know wot they are doin I don't think so

Reply Posted by TC on Friday April 13 2012 at 07:29
I think it's shameful that it comes down to a couple having to be forced to work 24 hours per week between them.  We'd all love more time at home or with our kids but in the real world, working 12 hours a-piece or one of them working 24 hours isn't going to kill them & isn't a lot to ask when an awful lot of folk work 40+ hours per week each.  And please don't give me the "where are the jobs" because the majority of people you speak to will moan about !having to "up" their hours.  Why the heck weren't they doing that many in the 1st place if they were available & another parent is at home full time?