Community Group Seeks Graffiti Artist

Monday February 13 2012

IMAG0112 IMAG0112

A COMMUNITY group in the Dearne is looking for some local graffiti artists to decorate the walls of a new recording studio.

The Dearne Playhouse secured £40,000 in the latest round of funding from Coalfields Regeneration Trust to convert a derelict basement into a series of recording rooms and performance spaces for use by musicians.

Spokesman Julie Medlam said: "We really like the idea of letting local people make their mark. We were so lucky to get this funding to finish the project as it was the last round of funding before the money got pulled and we just want to make the most of it.

"We thought it would be a great opportuity to give people an outlet to show their work without getting in trouble."

The huge basement area of the theatre had already been part converted for a music project but had been left abandoned for over five years when funding dried up.

The influx of the cash means the project can at last be finished and - when it opens - it will offer recording booths and sound sudios and even a small perfomance area where families can be invited in for showings and performances.

If you'd like to get your artwork featured in the studios, comment in the box below and we will pass it on.

Reply Posted by Craighicks on Monday February 13 2012 at 16:55
Hi
I am very intrested in taking part in this, i am a graffiti artist from Maltby, i have a facebook business page: craighicksart, to show some idea of my work. Please let me know if i could have the oppurtunity to take part, my e mail is craighicksart@fsmail.net and my number is 07912749099.
@fsmail:disqus
Many thanks

Craig Hicks

Reply Posted by Rich.Wild style kings on Monday February 13 2012 at 18:02
Hello there,

I am a local graffiti artist/muralist living in Sheffield.
I have taken part in several exhibitions within Sheffield and Birmingham but have original graffiti roots from back in 1988.

I specialize in old skool artwork and characters. I can send pictures of my artwork on request, my email address is info@signtechsigns.co.uk. I would appreciate a chance to take part.

Thanks Richard Dyrka. Tel: 07899 916304

Reply Posted by Darrel on Monday February 13 2012 at 19:36
I could source a few good Barnsley graffit artist... iz there a contact number....?

Reply Posted by Darrel on Monday February 13 2012 at 20:57
I help with bom fest and have contact with a few local artist who would be glad of the work,
 e mail me at djtime@hotmail.co.uk

Reply Posted by luke schofield on Wednesday February 15 2012 at 08:45
sorry wrong email from previous post emmasquire@btinternet.com

Reply Posted by luke schofield on Wednesday February 15 2012 at 08:59
hi
im a street artist from barnsley and i would love to take part in this is there an email address or phone number i can contact or forward some art to my email is emmasquire@btinternet.com many thanks Luke Schofield

Reply Posted by Tomiecowdell on Wednesday February 15 2012 at 09:59
Like how they asked for local talent and people from maltby and sheffield are applying im a local street artist too and would love the chance, but by the looks of things il not get a chance cos folk from Sheffield and leeds e.t.c will end up doing it due to their "credentials" cos they are "city" artists not plain old town artists. Be a great opportunity, just hope they choose some "LOCAL" people from Barnsley.

Reply Posted by Julie on Thursday February 16 2012 at 12:55
Thank you for all your replies. We are really looking for people from the Barnsley area who have not had the chance to show off their work before. I have passed all your details on to our studio manager for him to get in touch with you. Thank you so much and good luck with everything you do in the future :)