Rise In Council Tax Agreed By Cabinet

Friday February 28 2014

COUNCIL tax will rise and the discount scheme for over-65s phased out after the budget was set this week.

The 1.9 per cent increase - the first rise in four years - was agreed on Thursday.

It works out at a 44p increase a week for band D properties, which equates to about £22.81 a year, and a 29p a week for band A homes, about £15.20 a year.

However, police and fire authorities have yet to formally set their own council tax requirements, which will affect the overall rate to be paid and could raise it further.

Council leader Sir Steve Houghton said: "A 29p increase for band A properties is still less than the rate of inflation.

"I appreciate it's the first increase in four years but we have to make sure the council's finances are robust going forward.

"People are now beginning to see the pressure on services. It's a very difficult decision and it would be nice to be able to freeze it forever, but we have to make sure the financial position is as sound as it can be."

Reply Posted by Richard on Friday February 28 2014 at 15:12
What they are not telling everyone is that they have elected to raise council tax by the MAXIMUM they are able to without needing a referendum through government which is anything above 2%.

Once again they are pulling the wool over the eyes of the constituents.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Saturday March 1 2014 at 06:54
Pulling the wool over the eyes of the NATION, Ladies and Gentlemen I would like to welcome you to Tory / Lib Dem coalition Britain.
LIED over immigration
LIED over AUSTERITY CUTS
LIED over "NECCESSARY" SPENDING CUTS
LIED over "NECCESARY" WELFARE CUTS
LIED over GCHQ SNOOPS
LIED over the amount of people on benefits SANCTIONED
LIED over the GAGGING BILL
LIED over the "REAL" UNEMPLOYMENT figures
LIED about privatisation of the NHS
LIED about the Royal Mail SELL OFF

LIES, LIES AND MORE LIES.

Ian Duncan Smith is THE BIGGEST LIAR of the LOT:
LIED about his university qualifications
LIED about his army RANK
LIED to the parliamentary standards commission
LIED about spending his expenses on PANTS

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST LIED ABOUT HIS NAME...

IDS's "TRUE" name is plain old George Smith, he LIED and changed it to Ian Duncan Smith as plain old George Smith didn't sound Tory enough..

Reply Posted by AlanB on Saturday March 1 2014 at 23:41
You think you know some stuff. You must have an head 'as big as a bucket'

Reply Posted by anon on Saturday March 1 2014 at 23:59
Dunt no why you got it in for STEVEO, he's just sticking up for the workingman .

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Sunday March 2 2014 at 00:27
AlanB, don't you have the Sun or Daily Fail to read?

i'll even give you a hand with the crossword if theres some big words you don't understand

Reply Posted by AlanB on Sunday March 2 2014 at 14:34
That's what I said. It must be as big as a bucket!

Reply Posted by AlanB on Friday February 28 2014 at 16:58
They could probably have avoided any increase in charges had they reduced the number of councillors in each ward from three to two. With a slimmed down council there is no need for all these councillors.

Reply Posted by ratepayer on Friday February 28 2014 at 17:39
I think that is a very good idea. Is there any chance of a referendum on that, or maybe WAB could do a debate. Come on WAB

Reply Posted by ratepayer on Friday February 28 2014 at 18:48
Yes a cut back in the number of councils and what they are paid would help and what about doing away with THE1 limo.

Reply Posted by Sully on Saturday March 1 2014 at 12:13
I agree on cutting the number of councillors per ward but I think you're overestimating how much it would save in relation to the total. No reason they can't sell The 1 but it's same as flogging the family silver, once it's gone it's gone and you've still to save that money again next year and every year after.

Reply Posted by Mary Simms on Friday February 28 2014 at 19:25
They should get rid if most elected members, most of them are ancient over pompous paid not voluntary workers who do it for themselves not for their communities. Darton and dearne south im particular come on councillors do the right thing for a change and reduce your expenses and your members we don't need you!!!

Reply Posted by Peter atom on Friday February 28 2014 at 19:29
I agree Mary they should look at cutting expenses it seems some councillors enjoy that more than what's happening in their own village. I voted labour last time but not again, fed up with same old folk standing and not listening, man up you lot and fight for your rights stop playing to Steve houghtons tune.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Friday February 28 2014 at 20:42
Sir Stevie is robust. We need the money to pay for the cock up council made this month by resurfacing a stretch of road in Wombwell only to find the works has to completely done due to some incompetence of the highways department.

It was raining rivers all the time they laid the Tarmac.

It's another expense we can do with out having said that the local labour Councillors we there on Tuesday to inspect and get there of attendance money as always.

Let's vote these idiots out.

Reply Posted by Kpo on Friday February 28 2014 at 21:13
I'm most worried about the elderly. A lot of retired people live off buttons as it is and now they are going to have to pay out more. Ridiculous! I'd like to know where all our taxes actually go cause things only seem to get worse.

Reply Posted by John on Saturday March 1 2014 at 12:08
Education and Adult Social Care takes up most of it.

Reply Posted by nobby on Monday March 3 2014 at 07:18
the biggest sponges on benefits are the grey haired gang who dont give a flying ...... about the young uns in barnsley.

Reply Posted by Fred on Saturday March 1 2014 at 17:44
@steveo

Our council is Labour council not Tory/Lib dem !!!

At risk of you climbing on to your soap box, austerity is the result of years of labours mass overspend !!!

Reply Posted by Jack on Saturday March 1 2014 at 18:20
Sorry Fred, steveo never said that the council was tory/lib dem. He said the coalition which is correct. What is also correct as that we are the 6th richest country on the planet. In other words, they did lie about needing austerity cuts. Everything steveo said is perfectly true.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Saturday March 1 2014 at 23:37
Dear oh Dear oh Dear Fred, do keep up...

Do I take it you read the Sun?

Years of Labour overspend?

I'll tell you about overspend, the Tories have spent MORE in three years than Labour did in THIRTEEN.
The "Austerity" cuts are a mere "smoke and mirrors" exercise to further fill the pockets of the uber rich Tories and Tory voters who will do absolutely anything to ensure that they keep their vast wealth, vast wealth that they hath gained off the backs of the hardworking, pittance earning subjects that they have cast into poverty over the last hundred years or so.

I mean come on, do you seriously think that the uber rich Tory supporters ( and indeed Tory MP's party members etc) got their vast wealth from panning for gold on the Somerset downs?

Or are you just thick?

You keep reading the Sun and Daily Fail pal, you'll go far.....

Reply Posted by AlanB on Saturday March 1 2014 at 23:39
You're quite right Fred, but the so-called socialists in this town just can't see it. Ignorance?

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday March 1 2014 at 23:40
Oh Steveo! What's going on with the labour party and the unions just now? Sounds like they're kicking them in to touch? What the hells going on?? Its sounding bad for the working man!!

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Sunday March 2 2014 at 00:32
Funnily enough I have never been "pigeon holed" as a "socialist" if one was to indeed pigeon hole moi then you could pigeon hole moi as a realist.

Ignorance is bliss is it not?

Just ask any coalition supporter as they are indeed ignorant to the plight of the average working man...

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Sunday March 2 2014 at 00:33
Sid, LABOUR have just lost their cash cow and are now doomed, no that they weren't doomed before I hasten to add.
But alas, they are less doomed that the Lib Dems who will be cast into fourth division politics very, very soon.... ;)

Reply Posted by sid on Sunday March 2 2014 at 00:38
I'm lost there,but I'm fearing for the working man at the minute. Zero hours etc. Andnow,no party to stand up for them. Its geting worse.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Sunday March 2 2014 at 00:43
Yup, the working man has had it, no one to stand up for the average joe

Reply Posted by Fred on Sunday March 2 2014 at 09:23
Nice to see another Fred on the boards.

Reply Posted by Fred on Sunday March 2 2014 at 13:15
"Uber rich Tories and Tory voters"

You need to get of your soap box and get a dose of reality.

I vote conservative and always will. I'm certainly not über rich but believe of you want to succeed you have to work hard, take some chances and get lucky. I started my business 15 years ago with 6k savings, we turned over 15 million last year, employ 10 people, all on well above minimum wage, does that mean I'm getting 'rich' of the back of 'working man' or does it mean I'm making more of a contribution to the economy than any 'working man' ! Will the working man come and bail me out if things go wrong, will they pay my huge overdraft of, no I very much doubt it.

It's simply abhorrent that you spout your left wing politics and accuse every one else of been a traitor to the working man.

I live in the real world, not some where so far to the left, you have dropped out of reality !!!!

Reply Posted by AlanB on Sunday March 2 2014 at 14:39
Congratulations Fred, I hope that your turnover and profit (not a dirty word) continues to grow. Barnsley needs more entrepreneurs like you.

Reply Posted by To Fred on Sunday March 2 2014 at 14:51
I also have a turnover of 150 million..YAWN anybody can write bullsh+t

Reply Posted by nick on Sunday March 2 2014 at 16:02
Fred - " I live in the real world " You even sound like a TYPICAL TORY,

You been brainwashed by the deluded Tories. We are all in it together.. ahahahah

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Sunday March 2 2014 at 16:50
Congratulations on your entrepreneurial spirit, you are to be commended indeed.

You are way off the mark with the left wing comment though, as I have said in previous posts I don't not have any political persuasion as they are all in it for themselves and couldn't give a monkeys about the average working man.

Yeah you are a Tory voter so you REALLY live in the real world don't you,hahahahahahhahahah.

Final question for you...

What is an overdraft?

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Sunday March 2 2014 at 16:51
Profit or Profiteering by wage suppression IS a dirty word...

ASOS anyone?

Reply Posted by nobby on Monday March 3 2014 at 07:21
stevo can you translate some of your comments into polish if not comments about the working man have had it.

Reply Posted by nobby on Monday March 3 2014 at 07:23
steveo can you translate into polish as the working class man in barnsley wontunderstand your comments

Reply Posted by .... on Saturday March 1 2014 at 22:05
Still having conversations with yourself Dickie, very sad.

Reply Posted by Fred on Sunday March 2 2014 at 09:22
Still being paranoid Diane? Very sad.

Reply Posted by Bob Crow on Sunday March 2 2014 at 08:34
I will drag you all out on strike while I sun myself in sunny Brazil. I am here for the working man.

Reply Posted by Fred on Sunday March 2 2014 at 09:29
@Champagne Socialist Bob

You have a lot in common with that crook Scargill.

Reply Posted by .... on Sunday March 2 2014 at 10:05
Still playing your little schizo game Richard? Stick to your recipes oddball.

Reply Posted by Fred on Sunday March 2 2014 at 10:20
Oddball? Oh the irony.

My name is Fred remember it!

Reply Posted by .... on Sunday March 2 2014 at 15:19
Richard you're boring, and very strange.

Reply Posted by Alright said Fred on Sunday March 2 2014 at 15:56
" I live in the real world ". Classic!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by Kfc on Sunday March 2 2014 at 17:34
@Stevo all my life I've been a strong Labour supporter and shown interest in Politics.

My dad always said you can not be anything else Son your from a working class family of generations and that's the right direction for you.

I used to think my dad was right with political parties.

Having said that over the last 20 years Tony Blair and current Labour Goverment

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Sunday March 2 2014 at 18:24
Kfc, same here squire, lifelong Lab supporter until Blair went back on his word on all the anti-union legislation the Tories introduced and he said categorically if Labour were voted back into power they would repeal them.
Alas, it never happened so I withdrew from the Union political fund and I have never voted Labour since.
Millibuffoon isn't going to save us either and I truly believe that unless a new party is formed for the workers and has the workers best interests at heart then we are doomed.
I am a third generation Trade Unionist, my father and his father before him and I believe that a good days work should equate to a good days pay irrespective of what the worker does in their line of work.

We shouldn't have to put up with zero hours contracts on agencies on the minimum wage, things have to change and have to change very soon as I am concerned.

Some of the dummies that post on here have slung various vacuous allegations of me being a left wing socialist, I am a realist and have single handedly introduced sweeping changes to the way Health and Safety inspections were carried out at my place of work which has ultimately reduced accidents in our workplace from 70+ a year to less than five.

Yes I am a Trade Unionist, but I am also a common sense realist one thing that the people who post on these pages don't seem to grasp.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Sunday March 2 2014 at 17:41
I have realised how corrupt lying cheating and the Labour Party has become. what does come home is how much the Local Councillors have joined the band wagon.

I don't support any Political party today. Just a true and loyal Trade Union Member.

Then again who really supports the Working Class, The Unemployed, and Elderly People that has made our country great.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Sunday March 2 2014 at 18:32
Yes I have done with Labour and the local buffoons in particular.
I actually worked with Roy Miller for many years and he is definitely one of the things wrong with the ruling Labour Party.

We are never going to see a Tory or Lib Dem party in charge at the town hall either so unless people start to wake up and smell the coffee and actually realise that these Labour idiots that have ruled local politics for 80 YEARS have done absolutely NOTHING for this town and vote them out then I'm afraid I will still despair and nothing will change.

A viable alternative party is what we need and what we need now.

Reply Posted by Fred on Sunday March 2 2014 at 18:27
Oh Dear Steveo

You very nearly got through a news story without mentioning ASOS...

Never mind there is always next time !!!

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Sunday March 2 2014 at 19:06
Fred, I constantly mention Asos as they profiteers of slave labour, keeping their workers subservient and their wages supressed all whilst they are making massive profits off the hard working people that they employ.

Problem is half the people that post on here are too blind to see....

Reply Posted by sid on Sunday March 2 2014 at 19:20
I agree 100%. When employed you should be able to knock off and forget about work until your next shift. ASOS are allowed to phone/text employees at any time of day or night to either confirm or cancel the next shift! It seems that you sign away your private life when you're not even given a humane contract. I've been speaking to a guy that's just done 4 shifts in 6 weeks! How can folk plan a family life with that. This needs stopping for all our sakes. It makes a mockery of what part generations have fought for.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Monday March 3 2014 at 09:47
I have quite a few friends that work at Asos and one of the lads rang me to cadge a lift into Asos a few weeks ago as it is on my way, well perhaps a little bit passed where I work but hey a friend in need and all that...
We got talking as you do and I asked him why he was going in so early he told me that he had a text the previous day telling him not to come in as "the systems were down" and as he had no holiday days left then he would have to "flex up" the time that he owed.
The next day (day of the lift) he gets another text at 2 p.m telling him he HAD to go into work four hours early as he HAD to flex up four hours that night and the night after for missing his nightshift due to the systems being down which was THEIR fault NOT HIS!

He had very limited time to arrange to get to work for his twelve hour shifts and that is the reason he rang me, luckily he knew I am as soft as a brush would give him a lift and wouldn't see him stranded.

He also told me that this happens on a regular occurrence and he is regularly made to "flex up" whether he likes it or not.

As you can imagine I was incensed and asked him why the hell he put up with that **** and he told me its either "flex up" or they get rid of you in the end.

I CAN NOT honestly believe that crap like that goes on in this day and age and these contracts seriously need looking into and scrapping as far as I am concerned!

This isn't just happening at Asos, there are loads of other firms in Barnsley getting away with this crap!

Spoke to my mate yesterday and told him I'd got him an interview at our place so fingers crossed for him as he is a good worker and very rarely has any time off, in fact I cant honestly remember him EVER having ANY time off!

Reply Posted by sid on Monday March 3 2014 at 10:32
You see,some folk just don't realise all the decent things that were fought for in the past are being lost. How can your pal get a mortgage on that hop? There,all be the tithe housing again in years to come,I can just see it. Finance for a car? No chance! Planning holidays again, risk being sacked? I do believe our area is already being educated poorly as the only work available round here will be such as Asos. Historically our area had the education needed for manual jobs, we have poor teachers, not all of them to be fair,but it does seem like the cream if the crop are teaching elsewhere. There will be changes and the working man will have no employment rights again. The politicians are playing the long game with our area,I feel sure. The unions are going nowhere, it's a shambles. It seems even a lot of the call centre jobs are being taken abroad, soon there will be just the Asos types of jobs here because we won't be educated enough and our area will be manual labour with no rights. Sorry rambling! It just makes my gums ache! Lol!

Reply Posted by Fred on Sunday March 2 2014 at 18:36
So who do you suggest then Steveo?

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Sunday March 2 2014 at 19:04
That's the thing isn't it Fred, as far as I am concerned there are no viable alternatives.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Sunday March 2 2014 at 18:55
@ Fred I I can not suggest for STEVO but a person like myself that's got to 50 years of age and always been a Labour supporter.

What does concern me is which Political party will represent the Unemployed, The sick and the elderly people of 2014.

Which political party do you believe Fred will help and support these people.??????"

Reply Posted by Fred on Sunday March 2 2014 at 20:27
@ KFC (& Steveo)

The truth is none ! All the parties are as idealistic as each other, (I was going to say bent!), but it's my opionion and I don't force it on anyone else, that the conservative are the best if a very bad bunch. They are the least oppressive of success, they are least tollerent of the do gooders, human right lazy tree huggers! what I mean by that is they at least try to ensure that work is better than benefits, yes they 'allow' mass corporate tax evasion, but they are not in the pockets of the oppressive unions !

But hey you pay your money and take your chances !!

I am not naive enough to think we can have a one party fits all. So we are pretty much knackered, at least we have free movement in Europe so we can all move to which ever country others us the best !, but that lies a whole different debate.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Monday March 3 2014 at 10:18
Fred this may come as a surprise but I agree with part of that, yes they are all as bent as nine bob notes.

The Tories keep telling us that work is better than benefits, but for work to be better than benefits then the work needs to be on a permanent basis and a decent rate of pay rather than the minimum wage and zero hours.

Keep banging this drum but if the minimum wage was a more respectable £8.50 - £10 an hour then the country wouldn't have to pay out BILLIONS in Tax Credits.

The thing I despise most about the Tories is the portrayal of benefit claimants as feckless workshy scroungers and other various right wing propagandists that also peddle this filth which is a load of tosh anyway.

There are 3 MILLION unemployed in this country and only 596,000 jobs which are available it doesn't take a genius to work out that the jobs are simply NOT there.
Last year 800,000 people had their benefits "sanctioned" due to various sneaky schemes that the Tories have devised, a large proportion of those sanctioned were 16-25 year olds which makes a complete and utter mockery of the Tory pledges to cut youth unemployment.

Youth unemployment is currently running at 1,000,000 + and these youngsters just don't stand a chance whilst ever we are letting every tom, dick and harry into work, yes I am about to mention immigration again.....

Estimated 1-2,000,000 Eastern European migrant workers now living and working in our country, the Tories tell us this is great for the economy, which again is a complete and utter load of tripe * (I'll come to this one again further down) if migrant workers are such good for economies of western European countries then why is it that Germany and France hardly have any migrant workers in their countries?

yup, you guessed it.... it was decided a long time ago that the UK would bear the brunt of the immigration explosion, hardly surprising really as Germany and France were the biggest sabre rattlers for the inception of a more closer unified Europe along with the Belgian counterparts naturally.

I also wanted to point out that I am not against immigration per se, I actually admire immigrants tenacity to uproot and go to work in another country, tis the system of employers and agencies actively discriminating against our own people by offering any jobs to immigrants first I am totally an utterly against.

* back to my starred post...

The Tories tell us that immigration is fantastic for our economy, again, it is extremely good for the unscrupulous employers and agencies that take advantage of cheaper immigrant labour (Asos, Symphony to name a few) and the immigrants themselves as they earn FAR MORE money than what they could ever earn back in their own home countries.

I work with some Polish, Latvian, Lithuanian and Czech lads and they are ALL smashing lads who work extremely hard and nearly ALWAYS work overtime, which keeps our company ticking over very nicely...

BUT that's the problem isn't it really, it boils down to one thing and one thing only the REAL reason they are here..... MONEY.

ALL of them send large chunks of money back to their home countries EVERY MONTH, four of the Polish lads share a house with four more Poles too so their outlay is substantially cheaper than that of the average UK worker.

One of the Polish lads (Andrej) sends £1000 a MONTH back to his parents in Zlotow so pray tell how the hell can this ever be any good for the UK economy?

Steveo over and out for now.... Until next time...

Reply Posted by nobby on Monday March 3 2014 at 16:33
vote ukip and give the english and barnsley young uns hope for the future instead of at the moment wheres there next fix or can of lager comming from lets see the poles send the money home then there loyalties to this country only go as far as the queens head in there pocket .so until we change whats happening the kids of this country havent got a hope in hell.

Reply Posted by rainbow on Monday March 3 2014 at 00:14
Cuts to pensioners bus passes and grass cutting services etc I wonder if Sir Steve and his side kick Jim Andrews will be giving up their free tickets to Oakwell.???

Reply Posted by Red Optimist on Monday March 3 2014 at 11:51
Andrews is a Sheffield United supporter. A traitor to the town which supports him and his fancy lifestyle.

Reply Posted by anon on Monday March 3 2014 at 21:13
The taxes that ee pay all go to the people that cant be arse to get off their arses and get a job......... But then again they are gonna be like that because they have us to pay their way

Reply Posted by anon on Monday March 3 2014 at 21:37
You're soooo wrong kim. I would grass them though yes luv. I can't abide the pair, and yes,they know it!

Reply Posted by KIM on Monday March 3 2014 at 21:46
you sound a bitter jealous person who has no friends!!

Reply Posted by anon on Monday March 3 2014 at 21:52
Haha! I got friends, but yes,I'm a bit jealous, too right I am! And Francis, where the hell is kek???

Reply Posted by francis on Monday March 3 2014 at 21:48
We all know you anon from Kek. you can run but you cant hide!!

Reply Posted by francis on Monday March 3 2014 at 21:59
kexborough nr darton school... haha