Job Centre Phone Ban Announced

Friday February 28 2014

UNEMPLOYED people will no longer be able to use the phones in the job centre to apply for work as part of a raft of changes to modernise the service.

The decision has been criticised by job-seekers who say the decision will make it harder for them to find work.

A spokesman for the DWP said: "We are bringing Jobcentres into the 21st century. New computers and Wi-Fi access are being installed across Britain's Jobcentres to make sure claimants have the right help to get into work."

Reply Posted by harry on Friday February 28 2014 at 12:06
Just use the machines in the job centre, don't see what the problem is

Reply Posted by coz on Friday February 28 2014 at 12:12
yes Harry, but the jobs on the machines, most of the time provide a number to call....That's why the telephones came in handy, and that's where the problem is!
Not a problem for me as i have a mobile and home phone, but they were very useful for people who wanted to call job they have seen ASAP!

Reply Posted by spandangled on Friday February 28 2014 at 12:34
yes but on the other hand it stops the service being abused by drug users etc that just go in to try n use phone to phone dealers! although I do agree it is a case of the people who are genuinely trying get punished for the few that do abuse the service.

Reply Posted by Flack on Friday February 28 2014 at 12:43
Won't hurt them to go without a drink, take away or joint to pay for their own phone calls

Reply Posted by jister on Friday February 28 2014 at 13:26
Guess most negative opinions dont use jobcentres

Reply Posted by manda on Friday February 28 2014 at 13:49
think gov needs to get rid of agencies. has all jobs r avertised aboard. an what chance do r kids av ofa job when people from other countrys will work for less put all jobs back in to the jobcentres. & that a4e is no good to any 1 my son went hoping to get help was in there 30 mins told to sign a slip to say he had been not offered any help. what a joke how much do the gov pay for a system that dont work wouldnt need 0845 numbers for jobs if the jobcentre had all job vacancies its not like there busy in the 1 in town been in twice with ;y son an half the staff ant got a clue of training courses or jobsites not much hope for r young of today some do want jobs

Reply Posted by What?! on Friday February 28 2014 at 16:07
Manda, I am a recruitment agent. We DO NOT advertise overseas, some agencies do (Flame Employment who hold the contract for Symphony.) Most other agencies for the Barnsley region advertise on: Their website, Job Boards (CV Library, Direct Gov Page etc.) and in their windows... the best way to get work is actually go into the branch and apply yourself.

The 2 best agencies our town has to offer are: Essential Recruitment and Clarico both hold great contracts.

The best way for young people of this town to get a career is to apply them selves at a young age into apprenticeships, yes the money may not be good for the first year but its a career not a job.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Sunday March 2 2014 at 11:45
Rubbish!
The best way for young people to get a career in this town is to stop idiotic employment agencies actively discriminating against young people born and bred in the country by introducing sweeping employment legislation to STOP idiotic agencies only sending Eastern European labour to client workplaces.
I am all for the scrapping of agencies all together, they DO NOT comply with the current legislation that is in place to keep them in check, they DO NOT pay the appropriate rate of pay after the 13 week qualification period, they DO NOT give a monkeys about the people that are "employed" on the agency books and hire and fire over the phone at will.
I worked for an agency for 6 months and every week my wage was wrong despite the fact that I worked a regular shift pattern and my wage could have been worked out by a five year old!
Once I got a full time contract with the company I work for I contacted the agency to see when I would be paid my holiday pay that I had accrued, it took them THREE months to send me the holiday money that I was contractually entitled to and another 4 weeks to get a detailed breakdown of exactly how the payment was worked out.
Surprise, surprise I worked it out myself and had been "short changed" to the tune of £300, this took me another 6 WEEKS to get it from the agency.

Our company no longer use that particular agency and have "tried" at least two others, this alone speaks volume does it not?

The agencies that supply labour to Asos must be laughing their heads off, I can imagine that the "recruitment agents" will be very happy with all the commissions that they get from sending people to Asos as they have hired and fired almost 9,000 people in the short time that Asos has been in our town.

Agencies do not work for people that want to work and work regularly, they only work for the people such as yourself that benefits from the massive commissions they get whilst toying with peoples lives and the people that actually own the agencies get richer whilst keeping the people they "employ" in low wages and in fear of being fired over the phone by people like you.

Agencies and zero hours contracts MUST be abolished with immediate effect as far as I am concerned.

Reply Posted by paula on Friday February 28 2014 at 16:15
not seen phone in jobcentre for a long time .dont know how they think people can ring for jobs will no phone ,of there own .

Reply Posted by Red Optimist on Friday February 28 2014 at 16:54
Get real woman. Everyone who is employable has access to a phone of some kind. Stop making excuses for the unemployed. If they want a job they will find a phone.

Reply Posted by patty on Friday February 28 2014 at 16:30
Paula there are still public phone boxes, if someone was determined to apply for jobs theres nothing stopping them.

Reply Posted by jess on Friday February 28 2014 at 23:14
Reply to What, Essential had my details for 3 months, never got in touch so I went in and girl on desk had me fill out another form, still never heard owt. Job came up at jobcentre so I rang and asked about it with Essentials they once again said I would gave to register as they not got my details. Eventually got a place at company shop with them but I have never known such a bitchy place to work, if your face doesn't fit you have no chance. From what I see when I pass the essential office most of their jobs are at company shop

Reply Posted by Alan on Saturday March 1 2014 at 08:48
I had to sign on recently, on your way upstairs in the jobcentre you are told to switch off mobile phones as there not allowed. Then when you get upstairs there are posters for you to scan with your smartphone to get jobs! Very well organised in that jobcentre. . .not!

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Saturday March 1 2014 at 23:57
Yet another rule by the Tories to control the "great unwashed benefit scroungers" (The Sun).
Evidently clear that one hand does not know what the other is doing but they WILL succeed in getting the SCROUNGERS back into work even though there are THREE MILLION unemployed but alas only 596,000 Job vacancies available.

NEVERMIND Unemployed people, the TORIES will make you work for FREE at one of their party donators shops.

Reply Posted by sid on Sunday March 2 2014 at 00:02
Something's wrong somewhere Steveo. Still struggling to find a mechanic. An old employee has come forward , not much more.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Sunday March 2 2014 at 00:38
Something is VERY wrong Sid, the unfortunate thing is unless you want an Eastern European working for £6.30 an hour via an agency then you have ****** on the chips (as they say ;0 )

Reply Posted by sid on Sunday March 2 2014 at 00:44
Most of my lads have come from college as kids. They train up and stay for years. I got in touch with college,they have 18 yr olds training up,but have no experience in a workshop. Its all on paper, so its in their heads but not their hands. I can't let them loose on a customers car for a good 6 months. The job placements have gone because the small businesses are smashed. Its looking bleak.

Reply Posted by June on Monday March 3 2014 at 09:49
Terrible idea just awful

No doubt the next step will be to penalise people who cannot afford phone costs - and not all can by cutting their benefits because they have not applied for enough jobs.

You would think that anyone trying to get people off benefits and into work would realise that putting barriers in place will make things worse not better

It beggars belief

Penny wise and pound foolish typical of the current government who are more concerned with punishing those out of work than actual economic recovery

Reply Posted by rainbow on Monday March 3 2014 at 11:18
The British government have always persecuted the poor, remember the workhouses, and its not just the Tories.!!! Labour encouraged millions of people from all over the world to flood our jobs market giving our own people little chance to save themselves. They also put them top of the housing lists while our people had to stand back and take what was left.. I would rather have my hand cut off than ever vote Labour again, or any of the others for that matter.

Reply Posted by Latricia Bourdages on Saturday August 2 2014 at 05:12
I was trying to find this when i very first obtained here right now, anyway Im wonderful to be at this point