New Play Area Set To Open At Worsbrough Mill

Thursday February 20 2014

Worsbrough Mill Worsbrough Mill

CHILDREN visiting Worsbrough Mill will be able to enjoy its brand new play area.

The play equipment - designed for children up to eight years of age - has been chosen to ensure access for all children regardless of their physical abilities.

Funded by Arts Council England as part of their Strategic Support Funding programme, as well as a contribution from the local Area Partnership, the play area is fully secured with a perimeter wooden fence to give parents peace of mind.

Mayor of Barnsley Coun Ken Richardson will officially open it on Saturday.

Cllr Roy Miller, cabinet spokesperson for development, environment and culture, said: "This new play area makes it even better for younger visitors, while parents and carers can be reassured that their children play safely."

Reply Posted by Maxine on Thursday February 20 2014 at 12:40
The inbetweeners (not a young child but not a teen) are forgotten about again I see. There are facilities falling over each other for young children all over Barnsley but to my knowledge Cannon Hall is the only place that provides a play area for older kids. Should we just sit them in front of an xbox from 9 years of age?

Reply Posted by max on Friday February 21 2014 at 09:03
well said :)

Reply Posted by lauren on Thursday February 20 2014 at 13:12
Agreed @maxine children of all ages would benefit from a play area like this, disgusting to put a age limit on a play area, as children get older the more energy they have and this play area would be great for them to burn off there extra energy

Reply Posted by Anon on Thursday February 20 2014 at 14:23
Maybe think of other things to do with your 9 year olds instead of moaning about a play area that should be a nice thing regardless of age,what did kids do before play areas and xboxes?use some imagination people

Reply Posted by max on Friday February 21 2014 at 09:05
'anon' (strange to stay anonymous) and you've obviously missed the point here.

Reply Posted by lauren on Thursday February 20 2014 at 16:13
I do all sorts with my kids but all kids should be able to play in this play area not exactly moaning just giving our opinions

Reply Posted by Fred on Thursday February 20 2014 at 20:29
@ Lauren

I'm surprised you have time to do anything with your kids, you must spend hours everyday on WAB, I've not seen a story that you haven't posted on yet !!! LOL

Reply Posted by max on Friday February 21 2014 at 09:02
was that necessary Fred? Why not stick to commenting on the story instead of personal jibes!

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday February 21 2014 at 08:06
So just because I comment on Wab that means I don't do anything with my kids, how do you work that one out then? I see people who regularly put comments on here everyday infact that doesn't mean they don't go to work or don't do things with their kids I quickly go on here in my spare time no one's business other than my own

Reply Posted by Marie Jones on Friday February 21 2014 at 09:23
I agree with some comments.. why put an age limit? my 2 grandchildren are 6 and 9 and inseparable,,, so what are we supposed to do then in that case... only Cannon Hall suitable indeed..

Reply Posted by Grace on Friday February 21 2014 at 10:04
Excellent news, I will be taking my little ones - bring on the summer...

Reply Posted by DID YOU KNOW... on Friday February 21 2014 at 10:55
...that Experience Barnsley provide free holiday activites for children of all ages?
Also, during their next exhibition Coal Not Dole, they will be holding badge making and banne rmaking workshops for older kids.

Reply Posted by sid on Friday February 21 2014 at 11:08
Well I can understand the age limit. I have two grandkids age 2&8. The oldest is full on on climbing frames etc,a bit of a loony as they all are at that age. Its not a good mix,toddlers and older kids. The older ones can easily accidently injure the toddlers ,that's what I see at such as the free play area at cannon hall. They don't play the same so just accept it.

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday February 21 2014 at 11:43
Well Sid that can easily be sorted, different areas, for different ages, no need for age limits on a play area. I have kids myself and my kids have an age difference but my oldest has learnt to be more careful around my youngest.

Reply Posted by sid on Friday February 21 2014 at 15:24
Many parents let their kids run round on their own Lauren,its usually those that push and shove the toddlers. In an ideal world they would play nice together, but until then,the toddlers are in danger around the older ones. It needs separate apparatus, but close to each other,because one person can't watch two kids when separate. Taint easy,but you don't want them hurt.

Reply Posted by Louise on Friday February 21 2014 at 14:21
There can not be a generic play area for all ages, I agree, I have a 3 year old and have my heart in my mouth when the bigger kids with so much energy are whiz zing around him. However I really do see the need for outdoor areas and activities to satisfy the need for kids from 9 years old. All these younger kids will be 9 before we know it!

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday February 21 2014 at 15:42
Yeah I agree Sid and thats also what I said seperate play areas, so kids of all ages can enjoy the play areas. No need for age limits on the play area and I understand that it's not easy for one person watch two or three kids at the same time

Reply Posted by bananas on Monday February 24 2014 at 13:41
great news 4 the worsbora kids. bad news 4 the hoyle mill kids.