Emergency Closure Of Barnsley Children's Centre

Friday February 14 2014

A BARNSLEY children's centre has been closed this afternoon amid safety concerns.

As a precaution, Barnsley Council has closed Darfield Children's Centre, at School Street, due to an unstable tree that's near the building.

A spokesman said: "Health and safety issues will be addressed over the weekend and the children’s centre is expected to re-open as normal on Monday.

"However, it will be advisable to contact the children’s centre prior to arriving, to ensure it is safe to do so."

Reply Posted by sammy on Friday February 14 2014 at 15:27
I got the urgent phone call to pick my son up because of these trees I hope they manage to get it sorted the trees are so big if they did collapse they would seriously damage the building

Reply Posted by Mum on Friday February 14 2014 at 21:53
I hope paying parents will be getting credit/not charged for today,seen as school sent the children home.hopefully everything will be sorted,ready for next week.

Reply Posted by Lox on Friday February 14 2014 at 22:11
Well done darfield safety is paramount hope the trees get removed soon

Reply Posted by Mum on Friday February 14 2014 at 22:16
Yeah I agree I hope we will get credit for last 2 days as I've had to pay for alternative Childcare at short notice. They seem good at sending kids home for any excuse recently. Really gone down hill over last yr. Seem more interested in filling place full of 2yr old free child places. The invoices are a joke always late and if checked always overcharged

Reply Posted by AJs mummy on Friday February 14 2014 at 23:07
DITTO. I bet we won't get any credit back and if we do it will be forgot about. It annoys me nowadays, when I rushing to work and carnt park then carnt get thru for some mums justhanging about like nothing better to do. They don't care about the paying customers anymore. But when it comes to school holidays and they've got only few kids, they are begging you to come. They're are only a handful of nice caring staff now there's a new face every week. Maybe this childrens centre will be one of the next ones on the closing down list.

Reply Posted by Sarah on Friday February 14 2014 at 23:13
It will become permit parking soon on shroggs head. The way some of the cars park on there is ridiculous. Some people just don't care. But that is obvious with some of the parents that are hanging around there now. The ignorance and language from some of them and some of the kids too needs looking at.

Reply Posted by gaffa on Saturday February 15 2014 at 02:24
Get your money back ... How oetty
Had to sort out alternative childcare at short notice.
I would be more concerned about a tree falling and killing my child

Reply Posted by annonymous on Saturday February 15 2014 at 07:11
barnsley cc are all downhill due to the people at the top above cc management. no idea of childcare.

Reply Posted by Trish on Saturday February 15 2014 at 08:31
Im sure ur money is important...but would you like your child to stay and trees collapse...I know what I would rather have. My child's safety!

Reply Posted by lauren on Saturday February 15 2014 at 09:20
Oh my goodness my kids had to come home early from their school because there was no water just as I got back in the house the water came back and the school wouldn't take the kids back into class that's something to be slightly annoyed at, but moaning over the fact you had to collect your child due to dangerous circumstances, jeesh get a grip, id rather be a bit short in my wage packet than loosing the life of my child. If the nursery staff are uncaring why put your child in their care, find another one.

Reply Posted by Lisa on Saturday February 15 2014 at 09:27
Yeah child safety is most important. But it's recently any excuse. It's not petty about the money and been regularly overcharged.

Reply Posted by anonYED on Saturday February 15 2014 at 13:16
insted of moaning on here tell those ppl what u think of them face t face when u see them.. Do u no these ppl personaly.how do u no they are hanging around with nothing else to do.. they could be a number of reasons why they are there... stuck up ppl like u really get nerves!!!

Reply Posted by Muso on Saturday February 15 2014 at 14:05
A few quid the Childrens Centre owe me, Versus A child getting injured under a large tree. I will have to think about that one for a while, NOT.

Over charged, then bring it up with the Management, do you tell them when they under charge, i think not. How many times do you check your Tesco, Asda reciept, over charging happens alot more than you think.

How many times have the kids been sent home in the last 12 month?? and what for. The staff were also sent home without pay, i dont hear anyone backing them.

If you have a problem with the Centre then bring it up with the Centre Staff.

I would sooner leave my kids in a centre that are obviously concerned with the kids safety than with some parent that is peaved because they MAY lose a few quid.

Reply Posted by Concerned on Saturday February 15 2014 at 15:09
Being someone that does not have children yet but hopes to in the future I am a little concerned that you are more bothered about money than your child's safety. I know what I would be more worried about. Might I just add as well that children's centres are there to help and support everyone from all walks of life. That includes fee payers and non fee payers each and every child in this world deserves a good education. Take a step back and just think if your mot comfortable with something make the right choice and speak to the right people about it not rant behind there backs.

Reply Posted by lauren on Saturday February 15 2014 at 22:01
Yeah I agree, how can the nursery workers sort these issues out, without parents addressing the matter in a adult way.

Reply Posted by lauren on Saturday February 15 2014 at 22:06
If the nursery is so bad why are your child/children still in the nursery.

Reply Posted by Anon on Saturday February 15 2014 at 23:25
"Sending kids home for any excuse" I'm sorry but the high risk of a tree falling and damaging the building or putting my child at risk is a very good excuse to me....
More interested in getting bloody refunded than your kids' welfare :(

Reply Posted by Management on Sunday February 16 2014 at 10:06
Unfortunately Darfield Children's Centre will remain closed Monday 17th and Tuesday 18th due to continued health and safety risks, please contact the Centre on 753366 from 2.30pm today to discuss alternative childcare arrangements. The safety of children, staff and Centre Users is of paramount importance to us, apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Reply Posted by kk liner on Sunday February 16 2014 at 13:18
some people are unbelievable! I have seen the tree and if that drops on the building it would be a disaster it is very dangerous if they let people in and that happened u would b moaning they stayed open I say they are totally right to close they are concerned for everyone's safety well done darfield they staff all work hard n it is a lovely place both my kids love it ther n I for one am glad they r not riskin my kids safety

Reply Posted by toni on Sunday February 16 2014 at 16:31
To those who are moaning about being charged as its closed child's safety comes first more to life then money. They av done the best thing in keeping children away I will b keepin my daughter off til safe to return. Go get other child care that's cheaper if ur bothered the staff there always do there best and my daughter loves it as she's been there from 10 months as I returned bk to work keepin ur child safety and well being should be the 1st thing not Money!!

Reply Posted by amy on Sunday February 16 2014 at 18:28
well said toni they are lovely there n are doing there best for everyone they can't have done anymore thank u 2 all staff for putting safety of kids first n its a brill place

Reply Posted by toni on Sunday February 16 2014 at 18:53
I agree Amy safety n child well bein is important staff r lovely n go out of ther way to help I will b putting my son ther wen I return bk to work as iv had no problems no place is perfect but I wouldn't av my daughter go els wer

Reply Posted by sammy on Sunday February 16 2014 at 20:16
I can't agree with people saying bad things about the staff. My son has seperation anxiety sometimes and the staff are always amazing they cuddle him on a morning to calm him down and he is really settled there now and as for getting money back i think childs safety is paramount over money i saw the trees and the big cracks one gust of wind would of snapped the trees straight onto the building so i say well done to the staff for taking the right steps to keep our kids safe.Also i would like to say a personal thank you to scott at the centre for looking after matthew and helping him to start getting over his seperation problems

Reply Posted by laura on Sunday February 16 2014 at 21:34
agree with u 100% sammy staff ave been great n they ave phoned us all today n sorted stuff 4 people some places wunt have bothered doin that they are really bothered for our safety n doing this best to make sure everyone is ok I would like to Say thanks to them for for everything n bein bothered to put them selfs out for every one on a Sunday that's dead gOo of them

Reply Posted by toni on Sunday February 16 2014 at 21:45
It is good that staff av gone out of there way to sort childcare out and contact ppl n myself to offer different alternative but il keep my daughter off goin to take her out for day we'll done staff

Reply Posted by Laura mummy of 4 on Monday February 17 2014 at 09:41
As a mum of 4 who has used the centre since 2007. I have no concerns, the staff are nice and are approachable. I pay for 2 children 2 go there and would rather think of the safety issue. Also it was nice of them 2 take time ringin round every1 on a Sunday.

Reply Posted by Darfield Mummy on Monday February 17 2014 at 13:59
My daughter goes to Darfield Children's Centre and I think it's great. I moved her from a private nursery as the care was terrible there and both she and I are really happy with the children's centre. The staff are lovely and the fact they are taking such measures regarding the children's safety says it all. I sincerely hope it doesn't get closed down as it would be a great loss to our village. To those bad mouthing it then if it's that bad why send your children there?! Either take them to another nursery or discuss your problems with the staff rather than coming on here bad mouthing them.

Reply Posted by Jayne Kitching on Monday February 17 2014 at 14:28
Stop moaning THINK about your child safety

Reply Posted by Anon on Tuesday February 18 2014 at 12:54
A little girl died recently due to a health and safety risk at her nursery where they had not acted responsibly and removed the rope that was attached to a play slide! Do you not think that her mother would rather have had the school shut for safety reasons rather than risk? I think people need to get a grip and think before they comment, yes it's not good to lose money when money is tight, but surely the safety of your child is worth the extra cost?