Heartless Thieves Steal Disabled Boy's Transport

Friday February 14 2014

Oliver Fahey Oliver Fahey

HEARTLESS thieves have stolen a specially-designed family car which had a six-year-old disabled boy's special seat and wheelchair inside.

Callous burglars broke into the Fahey's family home on Peterfoot Way, Carlton on February 13 - it is thought they searched the ground floor while the family were asleep upstairs.

They stole the mobility car, a black Nissan Qashqai, that contained a specially adapted seat worth thousands of pounds, a wheelchair and toys used by six-year-old Oliver Fahey - who has an incurable neuro-genetic disorder which means he can’t talk, walk, is fed through a tube and suffers seizures.

They also stole two iPads - one contained irreplaceable family photographs and both had apps to help with Oliver’s development.

His parents, Jonathon and Tracey, needed the car to take him to much-loved sessions at Barnsley’s Greenacre School, and regular medical appointments at Sheffield Children’s Hospital. But the car was later found burnt out.

Dad Jonathon said: “This has made me sick to the stomach. I’m totally disgusted by what’s happened.

“I can’t believe the callous manner in what they did. It’s left me speechless. My wife has been very tearful and gets up every time she hears a noise, so this has left her on edge.

“I could understand if they’d stolen the car and stripped it of parts, but just to take it and burn it out is unbelievable.

“Unfortunately Oliver had visited the GP on Wednesday evening and when we returned it was raining, so I’d left his wheelchair in the boot and thought I’d get it out the next morning.”

Anyone who may have any information should contact South Yorkshire Police on 101 and quote incident number 106 of 13 February, 2014. Alternatively people can call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

Reply Posted by grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! on Friday February 14 2014 at 14:52
F**king Ba****ds!!!!

Reply Posted by amy on Friday February 14 2014 at 14:53
Omg there is some scum about hope the police can find the scum and torture them like they did the car to be broken into is 1 thing but to take the littles boys things hes needs for everyday life with going to school is unthinkable

Reply Posted by Yorkshire Guy on Friday February 14 2014 at 14:54
That's disgusting! Some people don't deserve to live in this world.

Reply Posted by Bored at home on Friday February 14 2014 at 15:02
Why didn't they at least have the heart to take out the seat and wheelchair knowing the car would be found anyway? Cowardly bastards, makes you sick to the pit of your stomach especially as this family has enough to cope with, they will have to fight for another car and wheelchair cos families like that always have to fight for anything for disabled kids, hope someone rich out there reads their terrible story and helps out

Reply Posted by dene on Friday February 14 2014 at 15:02
I know how it feels as when our car got stolen it had my power chair in , thank god it was still in when the police found it hope it the same for them ,,,,

Reply Posted by rich on Friday February 14 2014 at 15:09
If they have stolen the ipads then there is an app which lets you find them the where about of the ipad and also can take a picture of the people trying to use them easily traceable

Reply Posted by June on Friday February 14 2014 at 15:33
Surely it's a motability car so will be replaced as soon as possible and hopefully they had insurance

Not that it matters of course the thieves obviously have no shame

BUT when a bloke offers you a cut price iPad etc or knocked of stuff if you buy them then you are as bad as the scum that stole from this child

Reply Posted by The Truth on Friday February 14 2014 at 16:06
Heartless thieves? Is that apposed to all those good natured thieves who steal to spread cheer and joy throughout the land.

Reply Posted by anom on Friday February 14 2014 at 16:37
the people who have done this a ********
i use 2 look after a young boy with a disabled and he had his car and wheelchair taken takecare of yourself and your youmg man he is lovely

Reply Posted by Rubydoo on Friday February 14 2014 at 16:56
When these low life thieves are caught, and they will be, they ought to be locked up, no measly fines and community service...........locked up.
Thieves cause huge distress and upset, it's a serious crime, and it costs the country millions.
Lock them up!

Reply Posted by birchwuddothejob on Friday February 14 2014 at 17:29
Its absolutely shameful but these people dont have a conscience. They saw an opportunity and went for it. They would not care about who they r robbing from And how it would effect them. The law and punishment is not a deterent this poor family are now left unable to assist their son to maintain a life which is at the best of times faced with barriers. My heart goes out to them x

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday February 14 2014 at 20:30
I actually worked at this school and I know of this young boy. Makes me sick. Why on earth would people sink this low

Reply Posted by James Windle on Friday February 14 2014 at 20:39
I currently work at Oliver's school, and to be honest I am disgusted about what happened. Why these thieves don't realise it's a vital part of a disabled child's development and transport is just absolutely heartless. I send my support to Oliver and his family.

Reply Posted by mum on Friday February 14 2014 at 22:42
This is my story and wanted to say a very big thank you for all your kind comments, my little boy is happy and healthy but the documents tookk away his voice his communication aid his iPad and I will never forgive them for that, the family bought for his birthday last year........again a very big thank you,

Reply Posted by Danny on Saturday February 15 2014 at 07:39
Really upsetting story, just goes to show how thoughtless some idiots are! I'm hoping that all Oliver's equipment will be replaced by the insurance company. However if this is not the case then I would like to offer a donation to get his routine back on track. I understand more so than most how difficult life can/could be with a major disability.

Reply Posted by Laura on Saturday February 15 2014 at 13:39
how sad :-( what horrible people there are around us who would do such heartless things. hope someone is found out for this! thoughts to the family xx

Reply Posted by Hazel on Saturday February 15 2014 at 18:23
I agree with every comment but Bored at Home Social Services should not need telling to replace this little boys chair and seat.........they should automatically do it..............so should motability with the car. But will they?? They are heartless if they don't and put the family through the ignominy of having to claim again making those people as bad as those who were sick enough to rob this family..............will things ever change. Will red tape ever be cut...............not on your life

Reply Posted by Matt on Saturday February 15 2014 at 21:08
This story really makes me sad. If anyone knows if there is a website where you can leave donations to the family, could they reply to this and tell me where? THanks

Reply Posted by Elizabeth Rennick on Saturday February 15 2014 at 21:46
And these scum gel have the breve to call themselves human I am disgusted by this what were these scum thinking I hope Oliver gets his iPad back and his car and wheelchair

Reply Posted by Olivia on Saturday February 15 2014 at 22:02
THIS STINKS! My brother had the same but he didnt have seizures :(
I feel heartbroken for this family! People should NOT steal stuff that is for a disability! Nor should they steal from people that are non-disability! For the Fahey Family: I hope you get your stuff back :) I will PRAY until your stuff is found :')

Reply Posted by toni on Sunday February 16 2014 at 17:18
There is some heartless ppl about stealing special equipment from a little boy who really needs it and benefits from it Hope things get resolved soon best wishes

Reply Posted by julie boston on Monday February 17 2014 at 09:27
Poor family and little lad ... terrable be normal thiefs ans burglers in area someone must know something.... makes ya sick out to chop there hands off. Discusting!

Reply Posted by Lorraine Dobson on Monday February 17 2014 at 12:10