Warning Issued To Young Drivers

Friday February 14 2014

A GROUP tasked with improving road safety is campaigning to encourage male drivers under 25 to be more careful.

The campaign from the South Yorkshire Safer Roads Partnership urges young male drivers to think about their female passengers and kill their speed, not their girlfriend.

It comes after research showed that young drivers are four times more likely to be involved in a crash than any others.

Joanne Wehrle, Education Manager, said: “If a driver is involved in a collision, they will instinctively turn the vehicle away from the collision meaning the passenger takes the full impact of the crash."

In 2012, 100 young drivers aged 17 to 25 years old, were killed or seriously injured in collisions on the roads of South Yorkshire.

Reply Posted by Anon on Friday February 14 2014 at 12:57
That's right, they should be more careful.....those women drivers are a menace on our roads, so the men need to be more careful! Sarcasm of course!

Talk about a sexist article....I've seen some shocking driving by women, so it's not just men.

Reply Posted by anon/ on Friday February 14 2014 at 14:00
Yes,we women are worse drivers than men! Maybe the men should get off the roads and leave us at it,like they do with everything else.
Shopping
Cooking
Ironing
Cleaning
Men should be better,there's nowt else going on in their tiny minds!
Lol.

Reply Posted by Liam on Friday February 14 2014 at 13:03
Why is it only Male drivers? Woman drivers are equally if not worse than male drivers.
They spend their travel time messing with make up and texting. But no, make an article that points out us male drivers. This is just sexist and wrong.

Reply Posted by Buttercup on Friday February 14 2014 at 13:19
As a women driver I can say without being sexist that there are good and bad in all of us. I see woman putting on make up in the mornings while driving to work and men on their mobiles or reading the paper of all things and all while driving so we are all at fault. We should concentrate on the one job, driving and being safe on the roads. All of us, men and women alike.

Reply Posted by Jack on Friday February 14 2014 at 23:01
Very sensible comment and oh so true. At last, someone on here with some common sense. As a 50yr old male driver with a full ncd and my Advanced driving certificate who pays less than £200 a year for fully comp insurance, I can say with conviction that you are dead right. Meanwhile nobody is perfect. I have been driving for over 33 years and in that time have driven well over 1m miles and I am still learning every day. As soon as you get behind that wheel, you are in control of a guided missile. A lethal killing machine. Drive safely everyone.

Reply Posted by Driver on Friday February 14 2014 at 13:40
Maybe younger ppl wunt drive so fast if we didnt have to follow pensioners down bypasses at 30mph. Its discusting old ppl cant evan do the speed the government deem safe if this is the case they need their licence taking off them.

Reply Posted by Mr Green Cross on Friday February 14 2014 at 14:31
This is not sexist this is fact and based on the statistics gather by police at the scenes of accidents when they are scraping up the remains. All this data is kept and analysed by road safety engineers to try and reduce accidents or educate the relevant people / groups.
Fact is that young lads can be show offs, take risks and try to impress their friends / lady friends. It's in their biology and that age with their spots and raging hormones. Unfortunately they don't always have the skill and experience to get out of tricky situations.

I work in this area and see it all the time and yes old people do show up in accidents too, so do middle aged bikers and the young lads on mopeds.

I can't even remember I saw stats for a serious of fatal accident where girls or a bunch of girls were showing off their driving skills and came a cropper!

Reply Posted by lewis on Friday February 14 2014 at 16:24
What's tesearch? Take it that was meant to say research?

Reply Posted by Rog on Saturday February 15 2014 at 11:34
I would love Bonds Aston Martin...machine guns behind the side lamps for...

My front fog lamps don't turn off.
I will stay in the middle lane.
What's a box junction?
Park on the pavement so I have to walk in the road.
60mph limit...think I'll do 30mph...

Forgotten anybody?

Reply Posted by Stirling Moss on Saturday February 15 2014 at 13:19
The best thing we can do as drivers is have consideration and respect for other people using the road. Harder said than done I know, we all seem to turn into different people behind the wheel, I think it’s something to do with us all thinking we are better drivers than anyone else.

We have all been stuck behind a bus, a truck, a learner driver. We have all had to take evasive action when other drivers have made a bad decision. We have all hooted at someone who we think is being slow away from the green light only to see one of the emergency services emerging. We have all made errors of judgment when driving.

A bit of patience and understanding may make us better drivers and possibly better people.

Now then!!................ about that young en who cut me up on the bypass ..........................ha ha

Reply Posted by Rog on Saturday February 15 2014 at 17:26
Don't mind people who make a mistake, hold the hand and and say sorry. The ones I would cheerfully smack, is the car who speeds up when you go to overtake...this person is deliberately trying to do you in!

Reply Posted by lauren on Saturday February 15 2014 at 22:04
Funny, how women's insurance are lower than a mans insurance. Just goes to show how bad us women drivers, were that bad the insurance company's put our insurances so low

Reply Posted by ADI on Tuesday February 18 2014 at 10:03
There appears to be a few people on here that think that a speed limit is a safe target.