Warning From Police After Car Crime Drive

Tuesday February 11 2014

Police Car Lights Police Car Lights

RESIDENTS of Hoyland Common and Hemingfield have been issued a warning by police after patrols.

Patrolling PCSOs in the area have found more than a dozen cars where the vehicle was left unlocked and where valuable items - like SatNavs to computer games - were left on display.

There has been over eight offences where a vehicle has been searched or had goods, totalling hundreds of pounds, stolen.

Chief Inspector Andy Hodgkinson, of South Yorkshire Police, said: “We want drivers to make sure their vehicles are locked and also to be aware of anything left on view.

“During the past week, PCSOs have found everything from sat navs to a briefcase, money and PS3 games on display.

“These are all a temptation to thieves, so why give them that chance?”

Do you always lock your car? Join the debate in the box below.

Reply Posted by Gaynor on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 16:07
I usually lock mine but i must have forgot when visiting Playmania recently and received a letter from the south Yorkshire police pointing this out.

Reply Posted by Annoyed on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 17:10
Why don't they go catch the tea leaf scum instead of wasting time making innocent people feel guilty!

Reply Posted by chris on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 17:13
If you stand on any Barnsley street long enough you will see the petty thieves walking along and automatically looking into parked cars as they pass.

Yes, I always lock my car and put everything in the boot.

Reply Posted by Nichola Turner on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 20:19
My husband forgot to lock both our cars and they both got ransacked, they took satnav and headphones it's the 2nd time we have been done but last time they smashed the window, were in Hemingfield.

Reply Posted by #.com on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 23:07
I'm sorry,but if ppl r gunna lock there cars and leave their valuables on show,they have themselves to blame!!! They are inviting theifs to come and steal from them! Or better still leave £100 on your doorstep,it's only same!!

Reply Posted by Tosh on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 23:44
This is crime prevention and is well intended. I got a letter shortly after my Mother died and it really got my back up. Everyone was distracted and some empty CD cases were left in the door. I felt like I was being blamed for tempting some thieving scumbag to smash my car door window and help themselves. These parasites know the difference between right and wrong. Send them a letter instead of me..........

Reply Posted by #getagrip on Wednesday February 12 2014 at 12:23
People need to understand that the police are doing this to help you!! If you were a victim of a car theft, then you would understand the hassle it causes!! Repairing new windows, cleaning up all the glass, making sure your child doesn't sit on any shards!! Replacing the items that have been taken! I think I would prefer to receive a letter making me aware that I could be vulnerable!!

Reply Posted by Blue Egg on Wednesday February 12 2014 at 15:18
Typical silly comments about the Police. They are doing a job and trying to point out that you can help yourself. Instead of getting angry at them just do as you are told instead and be annoyed if and when you get broken into. They are the scumbags not the Police.

Reply Posted by bananas on Wednesday February 12 2014 at 16:21
our local car thief got caught again last month. and he is still wheeling and dealing. well done the justice system. sorry people but crime duz pay.

Reply Posted by Katie on Friday February 14 2014 at 20:43
Serves people right to be honest will learn you to remember to lock your car not that its common sense or anything or just dont leave valuables on show... Slack people or what!

Reply Posted by Jack on Friday February 14 2014 at 20:44
My car Dunt lock it's bolloxed

Reply Posted by Mark Lang on Saturday February 15 2014 at 12:59
I whitenessed a women pull into a car park get out and leave the keys in the ignition while she went into the bakery

Reply Posted by Mark Lang on Saturday February 15 2014 at 13:53
It wasn't in this country though !!!

Reply Posted by Vk on Sunday February 16 2014 at 14:14
How do the police know the cars are unlocked? With my car unless you actually try the car door you wouldn't know if it was locked or not.. but tbh why risk not locking your car... mightve been different when we were younger but times have changed in a big way you wouldnt go out in a morning n leave house door open till you got back in.. :-/

Reply Posted by paul on Sunday February 16 2014 at 14:39
Few years ago I had nothing on display in my car. Was locked but woke up to my door folded over I looked to see what was stolen CD player still there so has the glove box been emptied erm nope mp3 player there sat nav still there all stuff in glove box worth a tenner bag of smack or a few more all untouched. Opens boot up my wheel brace gone some tow rope gone a jacket that was knackerd gone bag with 2 new designer jeans in gone but found them chucked down the road. So basically broke into my car for nothing so now I don't have anything in my car to pinch they can open my door and have a look inside it's unlocked all time while am at home