Sickness Bug Sweeps School

Tuesday February 11 2014

A CLASSROOM at a Barnsley school had to be deep cleaned after a sickness bug forced staff and students to stay at home.

Headteacher at Greenacre Susan Hayter said a letter was sent to all parents and carers after a 'small number' of pupils and staff were affected.

“We take the health and well-being of our pupils and employees very seriously.

“We will continue to monitor sickness levels at the school and take appropriate action whenever needed.

"Furthermore, I would like to add my thanks to the premises cleaning team from Carillion for their hard work and support in dealing with this recent situation.”

A council spokesman said no classrooms were closed and the additional cleaning was a precaution.

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 11:21
Really??? My child goes there and I'm finding out about this from WAB??? Unbelievable, but thank you wab for bringing this to my attention. This should have been sent home in a letter from the school! Alot of the pupils there have low immune systems and any illness can go round like wildfire, but since the new build has been opened the kids don't matter any more to certain members of staff!!! As it happens my child is off today but not with sickness, but whats betting as soon as they go back they'll end up with this bug!!!

Reply Posted by m on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 11:51
Completely agree anon it should have been sent to parents via a letter. Not overly happy finding out about this through wab (although thanks to you for bringing it to people's attention)

Reply Posted by sue on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 12:06
The statement does say letters were sent out it may be that you just haven't had sight of a letter x

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 12:09
That's half the problem sue they say stuff has been done when clearly it hasn't my child has been in school since they went back and today being first day off and guess what??? No letter has arrived about this.

Reply Posted by Chris morris on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 12:22
My little boy is in the school an yes we did get a letter last week. I hope that any parent with a child in the school who shows signs of this bug does keep them off school .there are a lot of vulnerable children in the school an some including mine are more at risk

Reply Posted by sweet on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 12:53
my daughter goes to this school and i saw letter.....they played it down as though it wasnt this bad but obviously it is

Reply Posted by Donna on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 14:19
I think parents do send there kids to school ill to often, they do so because of pressure from school regarding attendance figures and it's just not acceptable.
If you read the letter Barnsley council recently sent out stating if a child has nits, threadworms and many more contagious infections they still expect you to bring your child to school.
I have a baby, who crawls on the floor, I provide my child with pumps for school to be told they can not wear them in door for pe, now they have verrucas. I'm futious as my baby is just crawling. I think things have got way out if hand and the council have more say about my kids than I do including when and if I can take em on holiday. The worlds gone mad! They are my children it should be my responsibility to say what's best for MY children.

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 16:27
Can I please just say I wasn't impressed with the way this story was presented when I saw it in the chronicle. The staff and pupils"forced" to stay at home were those that were sick which is what obviously happens if you're ill. Letters were sent out and nothing was softened down. It wasn't a crisis and the deep clean wasn't done out of panic it was a step beyond preventative measure. Parents have a lot of faith and trust in that school so I find it quite irresponsible that the media report would spin it out to be something more than it was.

Reply Posted by Greene on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 18:34
Anon you should pipe the f*** down you are always sticking ya ten jobs worth in. Get a grip it's sickness not end of world!!

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday February 12 2014 at 17:39
What was this about language used in that last comment and i agree with anon - if a bug is going round a letter should be issued to parents because they can keep an eye open - yes its inevitable that they wont get it because they will its a school its like workin in a poorly ventilated office it circles and cycles but theres no need for that type of comment greene - information like this needs to be sent to parents as the schools have a duty of care

Reply Posted by Pj's on Wednesday February 12 2014 at 19:17
A letter did go out to every child Anon. Parents don't always check their childs bag, the school can send the info out but there's only so much they can do. Please don't jump to conclusions.

Reply Posted by loz on Friday February 14 2014 at 18:22
As a governor at Greenacre all proper proceedures were followed and the letter sent out was informative without scare mongering!!!

Reply Posted by matt on Friday February 14 2014 at 22:13
Perhaps you didnt get a letter as you did say they were off school #iftheypostedityoudnotgetit