Police Investigate After Pair Rob Woman

Monday February 10 2014

POLICE are investigating after a 66-year-old woman was robbed in her home in Barnsley.

Burglars struck at the woman's home on Spring Street, at around 8.45pm on Sunday night.

A man knocked at her door and asked if she would phone a taxi for him. As the woman moved to close the door, a second man allegedly tackled the woman to the floor.

The two men then stole the woman's handbag, before running in the direction of Princess Street.

The man who knocked on the door is described as being white, 5ft 9ins tall, approximately 40 years old, with a pale complexion. He spoke with a local accent and was wearing a black duffle coat with a grey hood pulled up.

The second man is described as wearing a grey hooded top with a black and white checked scarf covering his face.

Anyone with information should contact South Yorkshire Police on 101 quoting incident number 1042 of February 9 2014. Alternatively, people can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Reply Posted by Justice on Monday February 10 2014 at 15:51
If anybody thinks they might know who did this please report it. If you know for certain who did it and you say nothing, that makes you as bad as them.

Reply Posted by sid on Monday February 10 2014 at 16:48
This is a horrible thing to happen to anyone. Its coming to something when the robbers are actually evil enough to knock on someones door and then attack them. Anyone living alone will feel terified by this poor womans ordeal. These animals need catching, or to knock on the wrong door next time. Its appalling and I hope information is given and they are caught. Hope the lady recovers and has family support.

Reply Posted by Littleoldlady on Monday February 10 2014 at 17:10
Crimes against the elderly and children are on the rise, absolutely shocking statistics in this so called "civilized" society! Don't open the door unless you know for certain who the caller is.

Reply Posted by anon on Monday February 10 2014 at 17:22
It seems as if this type of thing is getting to be the norm and peolpe are not quite as shocked and upset or even outraged as much they should be. Im just comparing the few posts on here to the very many posts about the poor staffy. Both stories are horrible but its sad that this thread has had less impact than the staffy thread. Shame.

Reply Posted by Chris on Monday February 10 2014 at 19:29
Yes, you’re right anon, I thought the same thing about the two threads.

These cowards target the vulnerable, they think it’s going to be an easy score. They wouldn't tackle an able bodied man, that’s what makes them so despicable. It’s a fact of life now that you have to be on your guard all the time.

I hope the lady is not too traumatised, it will take her a while to feel safe again but hopefully she will get there. Let’s hope they find the vermin and give them more than a slap on the hand.

WAB ...perhaps you could get us an update on the lady and how she is.

Reply Posted by chris on Monday February 10 2014 at 21:21
It's been posted on face book that the lady is fine but a little shook up.

Reply Posted by anon on Monday February 10 2014 at 21:29
Chris,thanks for that update,I'm not on Facebook so its brill you've posted. These animals are dangerous, it makes you ask how far they will go?.pray the police get them and they don't get a slap on the wrist after some flipping barrister tells the judge some rubbishy sob story. The victim gets mugged twice in these cases.

Reply Posted by Rita on Monday February 10 2014 at 20:11
Well said anon. As much as I love animals this is a despicable crime against an elderly woman on her own. Its awful when you dont feel safe in your own home. Lets hope the police catch them soon, I know that I for one will not be sleeping soundly until they do.

Reply Posted by Mad, Bad & Dangerous to Know on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 09:20
I dare not type what I'm thinking, the whole area is going to hell in a handcart, I will state that since land that once had schools built on them, now have Housing Association Properties built on them, residents questionable to say the least

Reply Posted by lee on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 09:28
One word SCUM

Reply Posted by Jack on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 11:42
2 scum tried same with me back in 98 but they came 2nd best against my rottweiller. + they got 3 years each and disabled for rest of their lives. All police said is the dog didnt bite em hard enough. Respect to them lol.

Reply Posted by nicky on Saturday February 15 2014 at 18:14
Omg just read this , im 2 mins away ,glad ladys ok , how disgusting is this.they need catching. My doors always locked n I dont answer if no ones expected

Reply Posted by Hazel on Saturday February 15 2014 at 18:14
But statistics say crime is DOWN..........no way. These thugs are now resorting to soft targets such as elderly people who in most cases have no way of fighting back. And don't try to tell me that they don't know who lives in the houses, they must have recced it beforehand therefore its premeditated so sling the book at them.
I fear for the pensioner after the attack as shock and trauma are still killers but do these people care...........not one iota

Reply Posted by paul on Saturday February 15 2014 at 18:42
Shame they didn't try mine i live on spring street if i don't get them my dog will

Reply Posted by Hazel on Saturday February 15 2014 at 19:23
I am sorry if I appear to be rather harsh but nothing ever changes does it. Crimes like these have been happening for quite a while now and what do they get...............slapped hands, told not to do it again...........I am too long in the tooth to believe any of that waffle. Breaking rocks on a chain gang would be a good way to punish them because of the soft punishments these people get they are laughing at our "justice system" if you can call it that nowadays