MP Calls For Smoking Ban In Cars With Children

Monday February 10 2014

Dan Jarvis MP Dan Jarvis MP

A BARNSLEY MP will vote for a ban to stop adults smoking in cars with children in this week.

Dan Jarvis, MP for Barnsley Central, is a long-standing supporter of Cancer Research UK and has also campaigned for standardised cigarette packaging.

He said: "One in five children are reportedly being regularly exposed to second-hand smoke in cars.

"It's an adult's right to decide whether they want to smoke in a car or not, but I believe children should not be subjected to their smoke."

What do you think? Join the debate in the box below.

Reply Posted by Andy on Monday February 10 2014 at 16:54
Quite right too, this should have been banned years ago. I'm not against smoking cos I've smoked myself for years but I do think it's wrong to subject my bad habit onto others. I'm all for the ban.

Reply Posted by claire voyant on Monday February 10 2014 at 19:04
PIty dan jarvis has nothing better to do

Reply Posted by Andrew on Saturday February 15 2014 at 13:04
I think you will find Dan Does a hell of a lot more stuff besides this. Take a look at what he does and then comment

Reply Posted by Annabelle on Monday February 10 2014 at 19:10
Maybe they should ban drivers from smoking altogether. We are not supposed to eat, drink or use our mobile phone, so why should they be allowed to smoke?

Reply Posted by kim on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 08:43
My mum has smoked all my life both her and my dad smoked round me and my sister all our lives. In the car at home out for a walk or at a family do. It hasn't made us smoke in fact none of my sibling's smoke and none of use have any health issues because of it. Think they are taking it all a bit far now! Plus the police are streched as it is what will this do to them! Madness utter madness.

Reply Posted by Muso on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 09:11
Well said Kim, I was brought up in a smoking environment and later went on to have my own pub for many years, none of our family have suffered any of the effects talked about these days.I think i would have prefered MPs debating child poverty and making sure all our kids get substantial meals everyday.

Reply Posted by Gazza on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 09:41
George Orwell's statement from years ago is getting ever nearer BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Reply Posted by Azizal on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 10:15
If governments valued health above tax revenues then they would ban cigarettes completely. What's the difference between smoking in a car with child and smoking at home.

Reply Posted by jister on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 12:19
Dan & everyone else has a right to their own opinion but has he asked the electorate for their opinion ? I very much doubt it !!!!

Reply Posted by rainbow on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 14:15
Why not do something to reduce Britain's £700 billion debt that Labour created.??
Or are we going to leave it for our grand-kids to sort out.???

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 14:45
You having a laugh rainbow?

You obviously know absolutely nothing about politics...

The Tories will have borrowed 1.3 TRILLION + before they get their arses kicked into the gutter after this Parliament AND have borrowed MORE in THREE YEARS than Labour did in THIRTEEN YEARS.

The "Austerity" measures / cuts are a mere smoke and mirrors exercise.

Reply Posted by Anti-ignorance on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 14:41
The people of this country enjoy a free health care service, something which is virtually unheard of in the rest of the world. THAT is why the government have a right to implement laws that are there to reduce health problems because it is the country and the tax payer who would be paying for your child's asthma medication in early life and chemotherapy in later life just because you wanted to smoke in the car.
If people were more capable of being in control and making the right decisions for themselves the government wouldn't need to step in.

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 16:13
Think it's a fantastic idea firstly smoking while pregnant absolutely disgusting but then to have your child and smoke around him/her in a confined space is just as bad in my opinion should have been banned years ago to be honest I see smoking while driving in the same light as you using a mobile phone it's taking your attention off the road then there's you lighting then cig another distraction and then when you kindly flick your cig out the window and it flys into the car passing you by (which as happened to me twice luckily I wasn't hurt) that may not distract you but possibly causing harm to another person or family. Hope it does get banned!

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 16:16
I dont know how this will be policed. The mobile phone whilst driving ban has had little effect,you see it all the time. The police have enough on thier plates chasing the kids around underage drinking. Its not going to work. Let the police do thier jobs and catch criminals.

Reply Posted by GRIM on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 16:55
It's common sense surely.
You either want to risk giving your child(ren) are lung disease or you don't.
in which case you wouldn't smoke around them full stop. It's not impinging on your rights - its impinging on your children's, and their right to a healthy life.

I think everybody should have a right to smoke, but that goes for our children, and until they're old enough, dont force it upon them.

Reply Posted by rainbow on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 18:11
You obviously know everything SIR STEVEO, but it's a fact Britain's debt is higher than Greece and Italy's, together in fact higher than any other country in the world and if someone doesn't do something about it we could end up in a worse jam than were in now.!!!

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday February 12 2014 at 06:25
My point exactly really, the Tories have imposed brutal austerity measures but yet have borrowed more in three years than Labour did in 13.
Smoke and mirrors to demonise the poor and ensure that the rich get richer.

Reply Posted by True red on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 18:53
And where did you get your figures from. Please don't post if you can't back it up if you look it up on google you will find that we are far from bankrupt and if you take into account dept per 100,000 people we are far behind the three richest nations in the world

Reply Posted by x on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 23:01
as a smoker i have to say i agree with a smoking ban when children are in the car,but i dont mind saying i am really getting worried about the amount of control this government are gaining over decisions we used to make for ourselves, and can't help worrying when its going to stop

Reply Posted by lauren on Thursday February 13 2014 at 19:05
Not about how much control the government has. It's about the safety of the children while their mum and dad are puffing away on their cancer sticks, while their little baby fast asleep in car seat is breathin in all those nasty toxins. Think it's fantastic.

Reply Posted by x on Thursday February 13 2014 at 19:14
like i said lauren as a smoker i totally agree with a ban,but it doesn't alter the fact that this government are gaining more and more control on our every day lives with each passing day.

Reply Posted by Nic on Saturday February 15 2014 at 13:14
Totally agree x
That's from a smoker that wouldn't dream of smoking while I have a child in the car. Wouldnt dream of smoking while a child is in the room. Is totally in favour of the rules that stop us smoking in pubs? For god sake stop nannying us. Any responsible adult who cares about there kids / grandkids / other people wouldn't put other peoples health at risk.

Reply Posted by Don McCarron on Saturday February 15 2014 at 13:25
Got to laugh at some of the comments here. "I breathed other people's smoke and I'm not dead yet."

If smokers want to kill themselves that's up to them but forcing it on others should be an offence.

Reply Posted by Philip Taylor on Saturday February 15 2014 at 13:51
What are the residual effects of nicotine when going in a car where people have smoked previously .does it linger I'm the closed environment , on the fabric of the seats when there is no escape for the smoke .

Reply Posted by andy on Saturday February 15 2014 at 14:39
since the first day the smoking ban came into force i as a smoker myself did agree to the smoking ban especially in restaurants were people eat but cannot understand to pubs that don`t serve food and still have to go outside to smoke the biggest laugh being that even the non smokers still go outside with either there mates or the do gooders just for some fresh air but yet still complain about something regarding with smokers so really how can you win with do gooders.....i do agree big time on smoking with kids in the car it does not even matter if you put your window down for me that just makes it worse... were ever kids are concerned i agree 100% to what ever is made law too

Reply Posted by Dawn on Saturday February 15 2014 at 23:29
100% agree and im a smoker. I nevrr smoke in car and i dont smoke in the house either. Its my choice but i dont inflict on my kids.
I do however share the same concern of the amount of grip the gment has on us as a nation.
Its becoming more like a dictatorship every day.