Funding Set To Tackle Barnsley's Bad Landlords

Monday February 10 2014

ROGUE landlords will be targeted as part of a  £230,000 that aims to improve private rented housing.

The government grant will enable Barnsley Council to focus on areas including the town centre, Goldthorpe and Wombwell.

Dearne MP John Healey welcomed the news. He said: "Many people in Goldthorpe are concerned at problems caused by bad private rented housing so they will welcome the crackdown the council are planning.

"Reports about bad landlords are increasing, and this is dragging down the names of those who treat their tenants fairly."

Barnsley Council has identified the areas as 'hot spots' where they think so-called rogue landlords may be operating.

Operations are planned involving the council, police, firefighters, the probation service and benefit and energy checks.

It's hoped the crackdown will reduce crime and anti-social behaviour and improve the condition of private rented houses.

Reply Posted by allan machen on Monday February 10 2014 at 12:42
that will not go very far

Reply Posted by Lisa on Monday February 10 2014 at 13:09
Making landlords accountable for their anti-social tenants would be a good start. They get away with far too much, they don't care as long as they're getting their rent money from the dss!

Reply Posted by Sez on Monday February 10 2014 at 15:12
You need to report anti-social behaviour to the Safer Neighbourhood Team 01226 772468 (it's on Barnsley Councils Website), hope this helps ;-)

Reply Posted by kaddy on Monday February 10 2014 at 13:17
disgusting, bailing out these landlords, i agree with lisa ,they dont care who they put in their homes, as long as they get their rent, i have an empty house next to me,been empty 4 years, the previous tennents lived worse then pigs, moved into another home owned by same landlord, and they have trashed that, i cannot sell my home as potential buyers see the derlict hovel next door, and then the state of the garden and house opposite and decide no way would any decent person move in this area, landlords should be made accountable after a 1 year to 2year of property left to rot , to get it sorted, or council take the properties off them, why should they be given money!!!! to sort their bleeding mess out, and we have a shortage of housing at that, get your arse into gear council reclaim these homes and rent them out, to famlies that need a affordable rented home

Reply Posted by Sez on Monday February 10 2014 at 15:13
There has been changes to the charging of council tax so that the moment the property is empty the landlord is now charged council tax rather than getting 6 months grace like they used to when the property was empty. However you should call 01226 772468 to report the property as being empty if its causing you a problem (it's on Barnsley Councils Website). Hope this helps ;-)

Reply Posted by wendy on Monday February 10 2014 at 13:33
Spot on Kaddy. Also these landlords should be made by law to leave their contact details with all other residents, in case of any problem tenents. Ever tried to get in touch with one when theres a problem??

Reply Posted by landlord on Monday February 10 2014 at 13:40
Well I must say I disagree with u all above, I am a landlord, and I maintain the property when ever it is required at any cost. At the end of the day its still my house. I actually think landlords should have more rights. Ive heard people tell me about the states of there homes. And whether the rent is from the dss or a working person, damage in properys can cost alot. Am thank full I have lovely tenants

Reply Posted by wendy on Monday February 10 2014 at 13:55
You sound like a very responsible landlord, but unfortunately there are many others that simply don't care who they're letting their properties out to, as long as they're getting their money. Quite often they live far away and don't bother making regular checks, so they don't know what's going on.

Reply Posted by Sez on Monday February 10 2014 at 15:11
You need to report anti-social behaviour to the Safer Neighbourhood Team 01226 772468 (it's on Barnsley Councils Website) & there has been changes to the charging of council tax so that the moment the property is empty the landlord is charge council tax rather than getting 6 months grace if the property was empty. However you should call 01226 772468 to report the property as being empty if it s causing you a problem (it's on Barnsley Councils Website).

Reply Posted by mandy on Monday February 10 2014 at 16:10
Having read these comments I can see both sides of the argument. I have previously rented privately and I am also a landlord. As a landlord I have 1 ex remnant that owes me for £3500 worth of damage I had to put right and another that owes over £2000 in rent arrears. I have ccjs against them that I had to pay for but still no sign. Not all landlords are bad and neither are all tennants but at the moment we have no where to turn. If the houses are empty, the landlords account may be empty!!!!

Reply Posted by Andy on Monday February 10 2014 at 19:58
1st point of call junction st area Doncaster rd

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 15:03
The house next door to me is private rented and over the years I've had some right dummies for neighbours.
Some of them have had absolutely no respect for my property, one wanted to climb on my side of the roof to put a satellite dish on my side of the chimney, one damaged my fence which divides our gardens of which I had paid £800 for and one lovely neighbour decided that she was going to scratch my car everytime she walked past it costing me £600 in repairs.
Needless to say the landlord didn't give a monkeys about who he rented the property to and I had some right scratters in on one occasion.
I locked the gate between our two properties which denied scratters access to their garden so scratter problem solved, no more walking past my car and scratching it and no more pulling their bins through my garden.
Once they realised they had to take their rubbish back through their house they soon moved out.

Luckily, the house was sold to another large property company and the area manager is really nice and constantly emails me asking if everything is ok with the neighbours etc.

Reply Posted by Jill on Wednesday February 12 2014 at 18:41
I am a private landlady and the neighbours have my number if any problems with my tenants I want to know as if they are causing problems that means my property is not been looked after
These landlords that the government is getting involved with could not care less and they lives out of the area anyway

Reply Posted by Char on Wednesday February 12 2014 at 19:01
I'd like to see them clamp down on the bedsits/ shared housing on Sheffield road! Part of my job is home visits and families are expected to live in the one bedroom bed sits. I know of ppl who have had to dispose of needles, combat rats and damage to property with young children in their care after being given no option but to live there as they have no where else to go it disgusts me! They would be in better accommodation in prison!

Reply Posted by RothschilD on Thursday February 13 2014 at 15:20
Well lets hope its not like previous scheme's where landlords were able to apply for improvement grants from the government, only the government forgot to tell them to evidence what the money was used for, hence why a lot of landlords got the grants and went on holiday or bought a new car with it; much like they did with the banks when they gave them billions in bailouts, straight from YOUR pocket but failed to stipulate what the money must be used for, hence why your money went straight into an already ridiculously rich bankers bonus packet, even after they wrecked the entire system through greed!

Reply Posted by Me on Sunday February 16 2014 at 10:13
2 doors off me is a private rent house and its a disgrace iv just reported 2 council 4 the garden she didnt use the dustbins she throw it in a pile in garden rats luved it . But she doesn't live with them because shes getting rent payed dss n dont live there 4 over 2years . The council av been n cleared garden so she will be charged or in court . But the landlord getting the money so he doesn't care what state of repair house is in its got water damage broken windows looks a mess me n my neighbour carnt sell ours 4 how that 1 looks . Who do i report 2 4 not living there but getting bills payed when sum1 else cud av it who needs it

Reply Posted by privatetenant on Sunday February 16 2014 at 11:15
Is there anything that can be done when private landlords won't carry out serious repairs ? 14 month of phone calls and texts but my home is getting worse 1 room is not safe to use as big chunks of plaster falling off the walls and rain coming in so walls are wet .

Reply Posted by Anonymous on Sunday February 16 2014 at 13:12
I rented a private house from gates estates whilst pregnant the state of the house i got it in was disgusting luckily my dad being a decorator sorted most of it made it look better but as for wee stained carpets & many other things i was sick of complaining nothing was ever getting done so i rang the environmental health which they then gave them a kick up the bum to do something i could not stay to the end of my tenancy as i just werent happy with it at all didnt even get All my bond back be due to petty little things, thankfully my new landlord is fantastic & im in a much more suited home never again will i go with gates estates or recommend anyone else to for that matter

Reply Posted by landlady on Sunday February 16 2014 at 13:40
Did you not view the property first? I take photos of mine,to give to the renter,if the house is not the same as on the photos at the end of the agreement then the bond is mine. This is then used to put it back to how it was. Simple.

Reply Posted by Eliza on Thursday February 20 2014 at 12:59
Is there any chance To include Grimethorpe in this project?
I can't even describe how bad it is over here... :-(((

Reply Posted by Eliza on Thursday February 20 2014 at 15:03
I just spoke to Barnsley Council...
The person I spoke to, said he don't know anything about 'Funding Set To Tackle Barnsley's Bad Landlords'...
I can't understand how is this possible?