Ambulance Staff Announce Strikes

Friday January 31 2014

AMBULANCE staff will take strike action over changes in shift patterns which could mean paramedics working up to 10 hours without a meal break.

Members of Unite voted for the 24-hour strike which will take place on Saturday.

A second strike will take place from 3-7pm on Monday.

The union claims the shift proposals could mean staff going more than 10 hours without a meal break, as breaks would be at the whim of managers. It wants a protected meal break of 30 minutes after six hours.

A spokesman said: “Our members are taking action as they are very concerned about the scale of these changes and how they will impact on patient safety in Yorkshire. The shift patterns are not family friendly and will lead to an overtired workforce."

Ian Brandwood, executive director of people and engagement at Yorkshire Ambulance Service NHS Trust, said he was disappointed with the result. He claimed only 150 people participated in the ballot from a total workforce of more than 4,600.

"Strike action is certainly not in the best interests of our patients and it reflects the thoughtless conduct of Unite.

"We would like to reassure members of the public that Yorkshire Ambulance Service NHS Trust is committed to minimising the level of disruption to its services during any periods of industrial action and we have robust contingency plans in place.”

Reply Posted by rainbow on Saturday February 1 2014 at 09:04
Something needs to be done about the ambulance service after that poor man died in Wales because all the ambulance crews were all taking their lunch breaks.!!!

Reply Posted by mummytaylor on Saturday February 1 2014 at 11:16
I agree with them about wanting to keep there lunch break after so many hours of working because they are just like any other worker who deserves to eat but on the other hand I hope nothing bad happens to anyone while they are on strike it would be such a shame if someone has to die while people argue over when people get to eat.Surely there's better ways of sorting this out.

Reply Posted by Annoyed paramedic on Saturday February 1 2014 at 11:57
Management at YAS just do as they please. We have been through two rota changes in as many years. These rota changes have massive impact on our family live, child care and working lives. Two years ago we were told that we would have more cover to reach patients quicker and that the response cars would not be at patients more than 20 minutes, now they can be waiting for ambulances for over 1 hour.
Managers will now tell staff under the new rota's when they can take their annual leave, my wife is a school teacher and non of my annual leave for the next two years matches hers, when this was raised a line manager told me my wife needs to look for another job then! This also happens for couples that work in the service.
Managers also decided to reduce payments when staff are off sick, most sickness is work related such as back injuries through lifting patient down stairs or picking them up off the floor. Stress can me another factor in sickness, we see some sights that no one will ever see in 10 years I do not know how many deaths I have seen but, one a week is not far wrong some of them in horrific circumstances, some are even child deaths but yet the ambulance service does not recognise PTSD.
Meal breaks are to be cut to 20 minutes in 12 hours this is a disturbed meal break too so it's not guaranteed.
I really enjoy my job and I'm proud to be a paramedic but I'm not a machine

Reply Posted by dd on Sunday February 2 2014 at 15:22
well said. annoyed paramedic. i as many people have needed your services and couldn't appreciate enough the wonderful job you do.

Reply Posted by me on Saturday February 1 2014 at 19:49
just like to say i take my hat off to paramedics,they do a great job,thank you for your help & support uv give me in the last 12 mths due to a medical condition i have...

Reply Posted by j on Saturday February 1 2014 at 21:31
All I can say is THANK GOD FOR PARAMEDICS AND THE NHS - cos God knows where we'd all be without them!! People who deride should walk in their shoes and see how well they fit!!

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday February 1 2014 at 22:00
Here here. Respect.

Reply Posted by lee on Saturday February 1 2014 at 23:47
Absolute bonkers, barnsley ambulance and response are pushed to the limits as it is, as the management thought about patients? No, who wants to be seen by a overworked,starving, emergency service? This is down to hitting so called targets, just like the police, roll on 2015 election, let's vote for kipper jackson, carnt do any worse.

Reply Posted by Don't want to give on Sunday February 2 2014 at 16:40
I don't want to give my name due to repercussions.
The management of Yorkshire ambulance including Cheif executive David Whiting state they are disappointed in staff striking and putting patient care at risk, but where you you in the 1990's??? I will just remind you, you were on picket lines stricking for the then South Yorkshire Metropolition Ambulance Service.

Reply Posted by scoob on Sunday February 2 2014 at 18:26
This is an interestg story on a plate for you WAB/chron. Get these people to confirm or deny if they were ever on the picket line. Or is it too inconvenient asking awkward questions of the towns public sector organizations.

Reply Posted by Andrew on Monday February 3 2014 at 08:05
how soon they forget when they get put in a higher position at work

Reply Posted by peed off !!! on Monday February 3 2014 at 21:15
I hope this link works please read it and i really hope Barnsley Chronicle reports this www.hulldailymail.co.uk/ find the story regarding Ambulances bossed getting BMW`s

Reply Posted by Tim C on Friday February 7 2014 at 08:52
Today I have learnt that manages at YAS are having coffee machines installed in there offices

But who cares not @ WaB !!
This is your ambulance service that is being ruined by managers, why aren't WaB digging and finding out and reporting these stories ?