Drivers Offer Free Lifts On Snow Days

Tuesday February 11 2014

The West Yorkshire 4x4 Volunteers at work The West Yorkshire 4x4 Volunteers at work

A GROUP of 4x4 drivers have teamed up to offer free lifts to doctors, nurses and care home workers who struggle to get to work in bad weather.

The West Yorkshire 4x4 Volunteers have now expanded into Barnsley and say they are on-call 24 hours a day.

All members have had their vehicles modified so they can comfortably tackle up to four inches of snow and other adverse weather conditions - like flooding.

Darren Davis, a volunteer from Mapplewell, said: "I saw it advertised and thought it was a great idea. There are times in bad weather when people are scared to go out and drive or won't attempt it but our vehicles have been modified so they can cope better.

"I'm disabled, I use a wheelchair, and it got me thinking that staff who work in care homes, or nurses at the hospital, really need to get into work when it snows to help care for people.

"I could get a message at 3, 4 o'clock in the morning and I'd get up and go for them because that's what the service has been set up for.

"It's been running in West Yorkshire for a while but I've been spreading the word in Barnsley."

Already, more Barnsley drivers have signed up to the scheme and more volunteers are being encouraged to join.

Drivers are given full training and are all correctly insured. Fuel mileage is covered.

A spokesman for the West Yorkshire 4x4 group added the group does anything from drive emergency service staff, care home workers and doctors to work as well as help people who are stranded or move critical equipment.

For more information email: secretary@wy4x4vol.org or look at  www.wy4x4vol.org

Reply Posted by niki on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 15:36
Thats great n get ready for a msg from me lol ive to get to work ha

Reply Posted by chan on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 15:47
Absolutely fantastic idea :)

Reply Posted by Emma on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 15:52
What a fantastic service to offer. May be using you in the future as it's hard getting to work in a car for me in the snow.

Reply Posted by Lynne on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 16:05
What a lovely idea. Some people are so kind. Give yourselves a pat on the back.

Reply Posted by john on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 16:21
This is no new idea 4x4 response has been around for years.... In all areas

Reply Posted by james whale on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 16:56
- This is a new idea to Barnsley .It states in the article this has been working in other areas..Grow up and why do people have to be so negative,, This is great for the Barnsley folk who would benefit from this service..Get of your bum john and try and do something worthwhile for free and help people..

Reply Posted by Matt on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 17:16
Fantastic idea thanks in advance

Reply Posted by DARREN DAVIS on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 17:55
WESTYORKSHIRE 4X4 VOLUNTEERS STILL LOOKING FOR PEOPLE TO JOIN YOU DONT NEED A 4X4 IN YOUR SPARE TIME WE ARE ON FACEBOOK

Reply Posted by Mark Lang on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 18:48
Good work lads/lasses , it's great to see our 4x4's put to good use when vulnerable people need help .

Reply Posted by Ruth on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 18:58
Fantastic idea will defo be calling on you guys if I get stranded thanks either way good to know there's kind people out there :) x

Reply Posted by Jayne on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 21:16
This is a great idea, as a nurse living in the back of beyond side of penistone transport is essential, I don't have a 4x4, I drive a c3 which is great most days but can't cope with more than 2 inch snow, also my c1driving daughter who travels to Ackworth every day to work in school may need help one day.

Reply Posted by CAB on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 21:20
I struggled to get to work 2 years ago when snow was bad I work at the hospital so might need to contact you at some point... I think this is an amazing idea thank you

Reply Posted by Snow scary pants on Tuesday February 11 2014 at 22:12
What a brilliant and thoughtful idea. I for one am scared to death driving in snow/ice but need to get into work. Just one question would they take me home afterwards too lol

Reply Posted by margaret on Wednesday February 12 2014 at 00:24
What a lovely selfless gesture,certainly restores your faith in human nature.Hope this idea spreads far and wide.You are amazing!!!!

Reply Posted by Lisa chappell on Wednesday February 12 2014 at 08:02
Fanbloodytastic what a great service

Reply Posted by Mad, Bad & Dangerous to Know on Wednesday February 12 2014 at 08:51
What a refreshing change, people who drive "Chelsea Tractors" actually being applauded, instead of the usual criticsm for parking at school gates etc. A big 'Well Done' for a great service.

Reply Posted by Tony on Saturday February 15 2014 at 19:18
A group of selfless people who deserve all the praize they get and more.